Getting Around Brooklyn

• My Truck Parked In Brooklyn for Two Days!
    My Truck Parked In Brooklyn for Two...
    by atufft

Most Viewed Transportation in Brooklyn

• atufft's Profile Photo

Free RV Parking in Brooklyn

by atufft Written Oct 3, 2013

The prices of getting into New York via the bridges is substantial, and since the hotel rooms are very expensive, one option is to drive the RV into the city and hope to park somewhere. Manhattan is very difficult for RVers, but Brooklyn is quite possible. The chaotic traffic and street patterns require a slower pace and concentrated attitude.

In my situation, I had arrived via the Verrazano Bridge and I-278 (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway), drove a few miles north to Hamilton Ave exit. I delivered at Circus Produce at 2am, occupying nearly the full width of the street to their docks designed originally for box trucks. After the trailer was empty, I drove the service road south, back in the direction of the bridge. I was in the vicinity of the Lowe's on 2nd Avenue.

Along 3rd Avenue, under the iron elevated freeway structure, I found lot of trucks and cars parking in open spaces between the columns. I also saw that I could park the truck along the curb, which is what I choose to do. I found a dilapidated building with scaffolding in front to park the big truck-trailer semi, so as not to block the view of one of the many smaller retail businesses in the area. Signs posted warned of no parking--for street cleaning-- just 2 days of the week, neither night of which would have interfered with my schedule. So if my truck can park in this area, RVer's or those camping in the car, can easily find a place and stay for several days FREE. The trick is to arrive at night after daytime commercial traffic has gone home.

This area also has easy access to the R train, which runs along 4th Avenue. I walked the dog on 25th Street to 4 Avenue, paid $5- for a ticket that would allow for round trip transit. Then, we took the train to it's end at Brooklyn Heights, within easy walking distance of the Brooklyn Bridge Promenade.

My Truck Parked In Brooklyn for Two Days!

• East River Ferry to Brooklyn

by bflopaul Written Mar 12, 2012

The East River Ferry is the easiest and NICEST way to get to Brooklyn from Manhattan (only $4)...and the N. Williamsburg stop is only a few blocks from the best the community has to offer; the Brooklyn Brewery, the Brooklyn Flea, the Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn Brewery, Music Hall of Williamsburg, etc. You can check also out the entire waterfront from the ferry, including DUMBO, Greenpoint and LIC. There are tons of great places in all these neighborhoods which are easy to get to from the ferry. It runs seven days a week and 362 days a year.

• Music
    • Business Travel

• milan2003's Profile Photo

Driving from Toronto >>Brooklyn NY

by milan2003 Written Jan 4, 2012

Hello!

First, I would like to thank everyone who took the time to write me. A *special* thank you to "nicolaitan" with whom I emailed and who made it as simple as possible.

Part of the challenge was that google map went through a number of different highways - multiple changes. The main route recommended by nicolaitan was not even offered as an option on google. It took a little longer, but was a clear, straight highway with no traffic. I found my way with no GPS, and knew where I was going - thanks nicolaitan!!!

See below for anyone who might find this helpful:

Toronto>>>Buffalo
    I90 Buffalo >>> Albany
    I87 Albany >>> Tapanzee Bridge - continue on 87 - Major Deegan

Yup - that's it!

If you're continuing to the part of Brooklyn I stayed at:

Go towards Triboro Bridge /Manhattan-Queens
    Take exit onto I-278 W toward Brooklyn/Staten Is
    Stay on BQE - Brooklyn Queens Expressway
    Exit 31

Voila!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Cruisng from Brooklyn

by cjg1 Written Jul 16, 2010

My wife Liz and I hopped aboard the The Caribbean Princess for a nine day Caribbean Cruise out of Brooklyn along with my Mother and her fiancee Hal. The Cruise Ports includes stops at: Bermuda, San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. I was a nice nine day cruise with beautiful weather except for San Juan and a great ship.

Princess likes to give the big ship feeling without it being overwhelming which is hard to do when the ship can accomodate 3,070 passengers. Princess managed to give us a relaxing cruise where we didn't feel rushed. The ship was very nice with 4 pools, several restaurants, a spa, various lounges and clubs, shopping and more. The Piazza area was their version of a centrum through the middle of the ship with retail , dining rooms, clubs and bars surrounding the area. The staff aboard were very nice and attentive. I enjoyed that this line attracts an "older crowd", less children and less of the party puking variety twenty somethings that other cruise lines tend to cater to.

We chose this cruise in particular due to the time of year and my Mother's work schedule. Since we have Elite status on this cruise line we enjoyed priority boarding and access to special lounges, free laundry services, free internet, discount coupons, free wine tastings, special captain's events and a 10% discount on shop purchases aboard the ship.

The shows and entertainment were great fun and we enjoyed the Movies Under the Stars. The food in the dining room is not as good as Royal Caribbean in our opinion but there were several nights that "Wowed" me. We did like that there were plenty of quick food options such as burgers, hot dogs, pizzas, sandwiches and pastries that were not from the buffet. The drink selection and prices were very good and we enjoyed the variety of themed lounges as well as pool bars.

This was a great cruise and we were very happy to sail Princess. We look forward to our next cruise with them which we have already booked while onboard.

The Caribbean Princess

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Walk!! Use those two feet!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jun 25, 2008

Brooklyn is huge!! There is no way you can cover the major areas by walking but with a bit of good planning you can visit a particular area, i.e. Brooklyn Heights, and see all there is once you are there on foot.

Walking allows you to walk down beautiful tree-lined streets, stop and grab a meal or a treat and exploring the surrounding areas with more detail.

CAUTION: Where comfortable shoes (advice I must take myself) so you'll enjoy your experience better.

Finally got a pair of comfy walking sandals, lol

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Airports

by el_ruso Written Oct 9, 2005

New York City has three airports: Kennedy (JFK), La Guardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR for some reason). The latter is across the river in New Jersey; I have not used it so I can't comment on it.

JFK is a large and weathered airport, and most international flights arrive here. It is not very clean - as the rest of NYC, and the terminals are generally old. It is convenient though to public transport.

LGA is a nicer airport, and the approach will give you fantastic views of Manhattan and NYC area. The problem is it is away from Subway line, and you have to take a bus to connect. It drops you off in Queens and you walk to subway. You can take a taxi of course as well - and if you can afford $35-50, I would recommend it. If you do take a bus, be aware that it can break down, the driver might leave to buy lunch, etc. - I am not kidding. So BUDGET a lot of time if you use this option.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Car Service vs Taxis

by el_ruso Written Oct 9, 2005

Residents of Brooklyn use 'car service' instead of taxis. They are cheaper and friendlier, because if you try to take a taxi from Manhattan, the driver will often say he does not know where Ocean Parkway is! You can call ahead, and they will come to take you where you want to go.

• feline01's Profile Photo

Coming to Brooklyn?

by feline01 Updated Jul 19, 2003

The two best ways to get around Brooklyn, specifically, Coney Island is The Cyclone and The Wonder Wheel. The Cyclone is a 75-year old (as of 2002) wooden roller coaster. It costs $5 per ride and you can re-ride without getting on line again for $4. In my opinion, the best roller coaster ride anywhere. As you head up the first very steep hill, you overlook the Atlantic Ocean and to your right, the Verrazano Bridge, one of the world's longest suspension bridges. Breathtaking. The Wonder Wheel is the world's only giant ferris wheel that gives you a choice of stationary or rocking compartments. The rocking ones are on tracks that slide back and forth as the ferris wheel turns. Costs $4 for 2 turns around.

But, of course, if you are not looking to get around like that, you can always take the subway, bus or drive across the spectacular Brooklyn Bridge. Or if coming from Staten Island and places south, the outstanding Verazzano Bridge is a real treat. Catch the Belt Parkway from the Verazzano to be whisked away to Coney Island/Brighton Beach or even better, JFK Airport to go someplace even more exotic.

Verazzano Bridge from the Belt Parkway

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Comfort Inn Brooklyn
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Brooklyn

Comments

Brooklyn Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Brooklyn locals.
Map of Brooklyn