Parks at Night, Brooklyn

Know about this?

• Parks at Night
    by dogears
  • jessicaflute's Profile Photo

Underage drinking and trouble makers.

by jessicaflute Written Jun 3, 2006

As wonderful as Brooklyn parks are during the day, I have learned not to hang around them during the nighttime. A friend and I had a bad experience with some drunk, underage teens who were looking to cause trouble. There was no one around to help us in the dark, so they were able to get away with harassing us. We qucikly got out of the park and onto a well lit street.

Parks are usually desolate and very dark during the night time, which leaves a good place for bored kids to do drink or cause trouble. I don't suggest going to a park at night!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Canarsie Pier

by PA2AKgirl Written Jan 22, 2004

This is also run by the Park Service/Gateway National Recreation Area. It's just what it says it is--a fishing pier. And it's surprising (to me) the people that fish and fish and fish in Brooklyn. Day in, day out. The place is kinda neat during the day--it's a popular hangout. Kids playing, people playing checkers and chess, of course, fishing...
    But it can get a little shady, too. There's trash everywhere, I've heard of a body or two being recovered as well. There used to be a restaurant at the pier which has since gone out of business...I know there's plans for a new one, but I haven't heard any updates.

The coolest thing that happens here is the Amistad comes in every year and you can take a tour.

Take the Belt Parkway to exit 13, I think...there are signs on the belt.

• Fishing
    • National/State Park

• dogears's Profile Photo

Prospect Park is not safe at night - even on bikes

by dogears Updated Jun 14, 2003

Otherwise the Park and the neighborhood are much safer than the 1970s'. The economic crunch of the double aught years, and Mayor Bloomberg, have fueled more crime in New York City.
    illustration: fukaya yuchra - hardpain