Catskill State Park Warnings and Dangers

rock wall at Kaaterskill
    by kazander
    a dishelveled and dirty pair :)
    lower Kaaterskill taken by Lou

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Catskill State Park

• kazander's Profile Photo

You could fall down the mountain!

by kazander Updated Jun 22, 2005

When climbing up to the second level of the falls (or climbing down from it) be very careful. It is extremely steep and slippery, especially after a rain! As I was climbing down, my feet came out from under me and I slipped quite a ways. I grabbed onto a tree and Lou manged to brace me before I went too far. Unfortunately, I did scrape myself up pretty badly on some rocks. I was being extremely careful and still this happened to me, just use caution.

After reading up on this area after our visit, I found that it is actually quite a dangerous spot! Many people have lost their lives falling down the mountain, or off of the cliffs by the falls. I was very lucky!

lower Kaaterskill taken by Lou

• kazander's Profile Photo

Don't plan on staying clean

by kazander Written Jun 15, 2005

After conquering Kaaterskill, we hoofed it back up to the parking lot where we started out from. We were covered in mud, we were damp from rain and waterfall mist, and just basically a dishelved mess. There were a few older guys at the lookout point. They yelled over to us "hope you got some good photos after whatever you just went through "
    Yeah, we looked gross. Felt gross, probably smelt gross. Luckily I had some ponchos in my car for us to sit on so we didn't muddy up the car...Good times...

a dishelveled and dirty pair :)

ew slugs...

by kazander Written Jun 15, 2005

Climbing up to the higher level of the waterfall required some work. Grabbing onto roots, trees and rocks was very helpful in hoisting myself up this steep mountain. One time when grabbing onto a root, my hand closed around something squishy. I had just crushed a slug. I am still slightly nauseated thinking about it....ew

rock wall at Kaaterskill

Instant Answers: Catskill State Park

Comments

Catskill State Park Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Catskill State Park warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Catskill State Park sightseeing.

View all Catskill State Park hotels