City Island Restaurants

• smyturn's Profile Photo

The Black Whale: Favorite place for Sunday Brunch

by smyturn Written May 20, 2004

The Black Whale

The Black Whale is a local favorite. While the tourists all gravitate towards the seafood restaurants the locals all pile in here to grab a seat out back on the patio. The brunch buffet on Sunday offers the usual fare with unusual flare.
    The back patio offers a nice cool respite for those escaping traffic and crowds or just wanting to enjoy good food in pleasant surroundings.
    They have a great selection but will cook pretty much anything if asked nicely. No rush here. Eat, drink, relax and ahhh enjoy.

Favorite Dish: I'm vegetarian and usually leave needing a wheelbarrow to haul myself out -plenty to eat for vegetarians. My carnivorous children, typical boys with stomachs like bottomless pits, love everything. Favorite dish is one filled with a lot of everything -its buffet!!!

• smyturn's Profile Photo

Let me get back to you: Seafood, seafood and you guessed it.....

by smyturn Written May 20, 2004

Just one of many

In the summertime, City Island is bustling with hungry beachgoers from nearby Orchard Beach and people driving in just for the seafood. There are many places of all price ranges, and types on CI but seafood is by far the menu option of popular choice.
    All are fine. Try eating your way from one end to the other. Of course doing this in one day may necessitate a visit to one of the many local hospitals so try to space out your visits.

Favorite Dish: Go with your favorite. Tell them how you like it prepared and hope for the best. Better yet, ask the waitress for a recommendation. Each restaurant has a specialty and will be more than happy to tell you what it is.

The Sea Shore: Expensive but Good

by cjg1 Updated Nov 6, 2008

The food here is expensive but good. They have excellent King Crab legs and a hot antipasti platter. They give you huge portions of food that you always wind up with a doggie bag or two. Liz and I came here for an special dinner and loved the food. I had never been here before so I trusted her recomendation.

Favorite Dish: King Crab Legs!

The Crab Shanty: Crab Feast for Two

by cjg1 Updated Feb 2, 2010

The Crab Feast for Two

The Crab Shanty is a little hole in the wall place on City Island. There food here is incredibly good. We come here often and love their food; it's a favorite place of us and our family. The portions are big and the prices are reasonable. I have never had a bad meal here.

The restaraunt has a smal dining room with large booths on both sides. In the back of the restaurant is another dining room that they also use for parties. We have sat in both sections of the restaurant comfortably and have always had the same excellent service and food.

The menu here has every type of seafood you could imagine and cooked in several ways. They also have pasta, chicken and meat for the non-seafood lovers out there..... The appetizer list has some great items such as fried calamari, baked stuffed clams, oysters and more. The salads here are very good and the garlic bread is delicious. The clam chowder here is quite nice and I enjoy it in the winter months. The restaurant has some good specials and lunch menu pricing. We normall go for the seafood plater for two; we enjoy the variety of food with the large portions to share.

If you're looking for good food, friendly service and prices that don't break the bank this is definitely the place to come on City Island.

**They do a nice Valantine's Day Dinner. Last Valentine;s Day; we came here and had an incredible meal.**

Favorite Dish: One of my favorite things about the crab shanty is the garlic bread. As soon as you are seated a nice hot loaf of garlic bread is brough to the table along with a tray of marinated vegetables. The garlic bread is incredible...we always eat the whole thing. I'm not a fan of the vegetables but Liz loves them and gobbles up a few carots, peppers and cauliflower.

We have had the Lobster special here and it's very good considering I'm not a huge fan of Lobster. Their fried calamari appetizer is very tasty. The clam chowder is also very good and served with tasty oyster crackers.

Our favorite entree is the Crab Feast for two. It's a huge platter with crab cakes, softshell crabs, stuffed dungeness crab, snow crab legs, fries, corn on the cob and salad for only $55.95.

We've also had the Joe V's Deep Diver Feast which has shrimp scampi, lobster tails, crab cakes, scallops, lobster and snow crab legs. It's a huge portion and it's more than enough for 5 people.

Artie's: A Good Choice for Non- Seafood Eaters

by cjg1 Updated May 18, 2009

Artie's is another good restuarant on City Island. It's right on City Island Avenue right before the Crab Shanty on the left side of the street. Artie's is a nice sized place with a small bar area as you enter and two dining areas. Artie's is the place we eat when Rob is with us. He does not eat seafood and at Artie's their menu has plenty of non-seafood choices for him. The menu does have the typical seafood selections but they do have a nice assortment of meat, pasta, chicken and veal dishes as well.

The service here is always good and the place is usually jamming even during the week. We're creatures of habit and normaly order Lobster and King Crab. Rob likes their filet mognon while Bob gets a plate of crab legs and Marie goes for some whole lobster. The appetizers here are very good as well. We've had the fried calamari, hot antipasto, clams oreganata and the steamed mussels for the table. It's a good place to come for a nice family meal or a dinner for two.

Favorite Dish: I always get the King Crab Legs which are incredibly good and a large portion. Liz likes the Twin Lobster Tails; two huge tails broiled and served with butter.

Lobster House: Seafood Party

by cjg1 Written May 18, 2009

This was my first time to the Lobster House and it was pretty good. We were here for a Jack & Jill Shower (I had never heard of this before but it;s a guy and girl wedding shower). I was up for it when I heard seafood was involved or I might have stayed home to watch baseball instead. We were in a seperate room of the restaurant with a glass ceiling which was nice since it was a clear sunny day. The food was pretty good. We had a choice of appetizer in which I had the calamari and Liz had the baked clams. For an entree ther choices were surf & Turf, Shrimp Scampi or Lobster. I chose the Surf and Turf and Liz got the LObster. It was pretty good the meat and the Lobster Tail. Liz liked her Lobster which was a nice size. Dessert was a sheet cake chocolate with some kind of vanilla mousee filing which was a bit too sweet for me. It was good food and I would come back here again for a meal.

Instant Answers: City Island

Comments

City Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of City Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for City Island sightseeing.