Cooperstown Transportation

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Usual Airport Rental

by Bwana_Brown Updated Dec 31, 2004

Chevrolet Classic

Since my meeting was scheduled to take place in out-of-the-way Cooperstown, just over an hour's drive west of Albany, NY, I had pre-booked an airport rental car from Budget. I arrived in Albany on a Sunday evening flight from Kansas City, Missouri and stayed there before leaving for Cooperstown in the morning.

I was originally going to meet a colleague from Nova Scotia, Canada who was flying in on Monday morning, and we would drive to the meeting together. However, the first big blizzard of the season whalloped their provincial power system and he had to cancel out. This left me to meander by myself on the backroads to Cooperstown.

It was a nice sunny day in mid-November, so I took my time and enjoyed the drive, both ways! The total cost of the rental was US$119 for two days and I only put 157 miles on the vehicle since it sat in the parking lot for the 2-days of my meeting. The gas bill came to another US$12.

• Business Travel

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

You almost have to drive to get here

by rexvaughan Written Jul 29, 2010

Once you are in Cooperstown there is really no need of a car. We left ours parked at the motel our whole stay. Getting to Cooperstown is another matter. There is no train service into Cooperstown and, as near as I can tell, no bus service either, so you will likely need a car to get there from somewhere. If you are flying, you will likely have to go into either Albany or Syracuse and rent a car. We chose Albany and rented a car there. As we were going to New York City from Cooperstown, we turned the car in at Albany and took Amtrak to NYC. If you are doing this, there is an Avis drop-off nearer the train station than the airport drop-off and is about a 20 minute taxi ride. I like trains and this Amtrak service was quite nice as it followed the Hudson River all the way from Albany to NYC.

• mingomatic's Profile Photo

You'll need a car here

by mingomatic Written Oct 5, 2010

Since this place is so rural and spread out, you'll likely need a car to get here. Once you're here you can take a horse carriage ride or walk, but I doubt you'll be able to get around solely with those two methods. So have a car ready, which I'm sure you will since there's no other way I can see to get into this town.

Instant Answers: Cooperstown

Comments

Cooperstown Transportation

Reviews and photos of Cooperstown transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cooperstown sightseeing.