Hyde Park Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Hyde Park

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Maya: Fresh Ingredients & Better than most

by apbeaches Written Sep 6, 2009

We were surprised to find such a fun, colorful, reasonable & delicious Mexican here. The parking lot was packed, the restaurant was full and each table looked like they were having a great food with lots of wonderful platters. Zagat awards & NYTimes reviews filled the entry. Our waitress was very accomodating and our food came out very quickly to perfection. The Mariachi Band played and we were impressed with all of the fresh ingredients & fabulous flavors.

Favorite Dish: The salsa was just wonderful. I don't think you could go wrong. Portions were large and prepared to order. Guacomole was prepared tableside. Just a delicious meal significantly better than anything we've had in NYC that costing 5x the price.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Eveready Diner: Blast from the past

by Herkbert Updated Jul 20, 2009

Old fashioned diner

The Eveready Diner was a great find while driving along Rte 9 in Hyde Park. With a juke box, counter service and great food, this was like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Good food meets Happy Days. :-)

The menu has a great many choices to satisfy just about everyone. The prices are reasonable, the service was good, the portions are generous and the food was delicious. They even have ice cream floats and milk shakes to top off the experience.

Favorite Dish: I went with a burger and fries, the wife had a quesadilla. Both of us enjoyed our meals and were full when we were finished.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Ristorante Caterina de' Medici: Great food at the CIA

by Herkbert Updated Jul 14, 2009

Sue at the CIA restaurant

This restaurant is located on the campus of the Culinary Institute and is staffed by students of the college. The building itself was very nicely done. The colors, furniture and design touches would give you the feeling of eating in a Tuscan Restaurant.

The service was prompt and attentive. The menu offers a wide variety of italian fare from simple pastas to gnocchi to roasted rabbit. They also have a nice wine list with excellent choices to match up with your dinner.

Our appetizers, meals and desserts were all delicious. We were quite impressed by the entire evening and would definitely return again.

One other note, since it is a teaching facility, you'll be asked to comment on the food and service at the end of your meal.

Favorite Dish: This is a tough one. We both enjoyed our meals. Sue had the gnocchi and they were light, fluffy and delicious. I went with the roasted rabbit. It was done perfectly and I gobbled up every morsel. I don't think you could go wrong with any choice off the menu.

The Eveready: DELICIOUS FOOD ONCE FEATURED ON THE FOOD NETWORK

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

I have to say, that I've been here a handful of times and each time the experience has been very different. It really depends on what you order and when you order it. Sometimes the food is absolutely outstanding and other times it isn't worth the gum stuck under the table top. Guy Fieri of Food Networks Diners Drive Ins and Dives featured this diner of his Local Legends, Episode back in 2008. Of all the places to eat in Hyde Park, The Eveready is one of the quickest and friendliest along with the most comprehensive menus. Guy enjoyed the 3 cheese mac and cheese, lobster quesadillas and the shepherd's pie in a squash shell. I enjoyed the Belgian waffles with blueberries, spinach dip, onion soup and The Blue Bayou burger. One day I'll bring Richie and the boys here, perhaps after we tour one of the many local mansions.

Favorite Dish: I am a total blue cheese fan so I love the Blue Bayou burger. All it really is, is a burger topped with fresh blue cheese. But for me, blue cheese and burger are a terrific match.

Hung Far II: OK CHINESE FOR UPSTATE

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

The good thing about this place is that they are quick and only about a block away. I mostly get the sweet and sour chicken with fried rice and a cup of sweet and sour soup. Once I tried their boneless spare ribs but they were really gross. The woman who works the counter knows me and as soon as I walk in she greets me with your boss' food is ready. I get a chuckle every time I go here because of that. There's a couple of tables if you don't want to take your food home with you or back to the office. I don't stay and eat here, it's a bit creepy and honestly not all that clean.

Favorite Dish: hot and sour soup

Angellina's: ITALIAN ON A BUDGET

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

I have an unfair advantage when it comes to Angelina's. This great little Italian place caters the food for the homeless shelter I work for. So I have gotten to sample just about everything they have to offer on the menu from seafood to pasta to soups and salads to dessert. I have to admit that I love their penne with broccoli and their spaghetti with meat sauce. I did once get some chicken tenders that were way to HOT to eat, so that would be my least favorite food here. This restaurant is family owned and operated as every good Italian place should be. John and his wife, Rita have got to be two of the friendliest people in Hyde Park. They are very helpful and if you have a special dietary need are more than willing to make accommodations. Today I had the penne a la vodka with some garlic knots and a cup of french onion soup. All of it was very yummy. We mostly get delivery cause they are one of two place in Hyde Park that will deliver.

Favorite Dish: Penne with broccoli and EVOO. I almost forgot to mention their Spinach Eggdrop soup which is excellent. I get it each time they have it.

Cocoa's Bar and Grill: WE ORDER OUT FROM HERE ALL THE TIME

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

My boss and I order lunch from Cocoa's at least once a week for two reasons, 1. the food is very good and 2. they deliver. Cocoa's has excellent lunch specials every day which are not only tasty, but very economical. One of my favorite lunch menu items is their turkey dinner. The dinner comes complete with real turkey, not that turkey loaf crap a lot of places serve, fresh smashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, gravy and cranberry sauce. It comes with a cup of soup, all for $8.00. Cocoa's has a pretty extensive menu which includes fish, pasta and main dish salads along with desserts and a complete bar menu. I really like their Cobb Salad. It's loaded with fresh blue cheese, hard boiled eggs, black olives and various lettuces. I always pull off the onions because they are so strong. Their nachos supreme are also really tasty. I get the chili on the side and eat it separately. Their chili isn't the usual spicy chili, instead it has a sweetness to it that makes it very unique.

Favorite Dish: There are so many yummy things here I can't pick just one, but I really like their Cannolli Cheesecake and their chocolate moose cake.

Pete's: THEY ONCE CATERED FOR THE SHELTER

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

Pete's used to cater the food for the homeless shelter I work for. The key word here is used to. After a couple of years, the overall quality of the food provided went into the gutter. The delivery guy, George, was also very pleasant and nice. There wasn't a day that he didn't peek into my office and say hello. The rest of the staff left a little some to be desired. If you like wet grilled cheese and runny jello, Pete's is a good place to go. I don't recommend this place to anyone due to the fact that they either overcooked or under cooked just about every dish they sent. The vegetables are mushy, their mashed potatoes are starchy and nasty and their turkey gravy looks like baby poop.

Favorite Dish: the only edible thing I ever had from here was the Gyro, but even that lacked a lot of flavor and the cucumber sauce was blah.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Eveready Diner: What a "Real" Diner should be....

by cjg1 Updated Feb 12, 2009

Vanilla Milkshake

We knew we were getting close to the Diner when we saw the neon glow of the sign. We pulled into the parking lot and saw the glow of the diner. The diner looks like a 1950’s retro diner. We walked inside and were surprised at the large interior. There were three sections of seating and a bakery area. We were seated immediately at a nice booth at the corner of the diner. Our waitress was very friendly and handed us menus. The menus were huge and had so many choices. The menu shad everything from pancakes, burgers, fajitas, pot roast, omelets, steaks, sandwiches, pastry, dessert, milkshakes, malts, waffles, nachos, buffalo wings and so much more. It took us a bit of time to finally decide on our selections so we ordered a water and an iced tea to start.

We finally ordered our meals and sat back to take the place in. It was a nice example of what a classic diner should be; clean, colorful, full of pop culture references and full of friendly staff. Our meals appeared quickly and we were shocked at how big the portions were. The food was incredibly good and delicious. It was a great experience and we can’t wait to return for another wonderful meal.

Liz ordered the Classic 1/2 Pound Burger with American Cheese and an Iced tea. The burger was huge and was served with coleslaw, pickle, onion rings and French fries. Liz loved the burger and said it was incredibly juicy. Her favorites were the onion rings and the coleslaw. I ordered the Blackened Chicken Pita and a Strawberry Milkshake. The Blackened Chicken Pita was served with fries, pickle and coleslaw. I also ordered Macaroni & Cheese as a side dish, since I heard it was a specialty of the diner. The portions were huge and I wound up taking half of the sandwich, fries and macaroni & cheese home in a doggie bag. My Milkshake was incredible. It was thick, creamy and full of fresh strawberries. The milkshake was served in a retro milkshake glass topped with a mound of fresh whipped cream and a cherry. The milkshake came with a metal tin full of more milkshake in order to refill your glass. I couldn’t believe I finished the whole thing. After seeing my milkshake, Liz decided she wanted a Vanilla Milkshake of her own. Unlike me she was unable to finish the whole thing. We both agreed that the milkshakes were the best we have had anywhere…they were that good. Even though we were pushing full stomachs, we decided to split an apple Turnover for dessert. The diner is known for their incredible desserts and bakery items so we felt we had to try something. The Apple Turnover was so delicious. The turnover was large and the size of the plate. The flakey crust was perfect and warm. The filling was packed with sweet yet firm apples. It was an incredible dessert and we couldn’t finish it all. This dessert wound up in a doggie bag as well.

Favorite Dish: We came here again but this time for breakfast with my Mom and her boyfriend. This time I had the The Eveready Breakfast. It was three pancakes with two eggs, bacon and sausage. I enjoyed my breakfast but the pancakes were not the best I have ever had. I did have a Strawberry milkshake (again) which made me very happy. Liz and Hal both ordered the Frittered French Toast. It was three slices of french toast with cream cheese and rasbery sauce filling. Liz and Hal loved it and devoured their meal. I was fortunate to steal a bite and boy was it good. Mom had a malted Belgian Waffle with bacon. She too loved her breakfast and cleaned her plate. It was a nice meal with the two most important women in my life.

El Mariachi-THIS PLACE IS NOW CLOSED: AUTHENTIC TEX-MEX

by moiraistyx Updated Feb 12, 2009

Every so often my boss and I get a hankering for some really good Tex-Mex food. Lucky for us El Mariachi is right up the street from our office. Its a little eatery combined with an Mexican grocery store. There isn't must of an atmosphere to speak of, but boy oh boy is the food tastey.

Favorite Dish: I love the Chorizo Chimmichanga. Its spicey enough to give it some kick without burning your mouth to shreads.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Pete's Famous Restaurant: Stop at Pete's

by 807Wheaton Written May 18, 2008

Pete's Famous Restaurant

We stopped in here late after a full day of sight-seeing. We ordered a bowl of Red Lentil soup and a plate of nachos with the fixings. The Red Lentil Soup was just excellent and was like comfort food to us after being gone from home for about two weeks. Our server was so friendly and brought us a basket of rolls to complement the soup. We asked about the next day's soup and found out it was Broccoli.
    The next evening we returned during their early bird special time. I ordered the broccoli soup and my husband ordered the Roast Pork Plate from the "Early Bird" menu for $8.95. There was plenty of food for us to split. There were four pieces of pork roast with dressing, mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables, a huge garden salad and a basket of rolls. Everything was cooked perfectly and was very tasty. Once again our server was very helpful and friendly. If you are ever in Hyde Park be sure to stop here for a meal. The owner is very friendly and an excellent cook.

Favorite Dish: The Red Lentil soup was excellent. It had a light taste but was very satisfying.

• Seniors
    • National/State Park

• Ekahau's Profile Photo

Escoffier of the Culinary Institute of America: wonderful French restaurant

by Ekahau Updated Nov 18, 2006

Escoffier Culinary Institute of America

This is wonderful French restaurant where the food is cooked and served by the students of the Culinary Institute of America being taught by some of the best professional chiefs in the world. This might be about as good as it gets. I went their in the fall of 2006 for example and the wonderful pastry was prepared by student being taught that day by DIETER G. SCHORNER, C.M.B., C.H.E.,PROFESSOR IN BAKING AND PASTRY ARTS Education: Pâtisserie and Confiserie, Coba Institute, Basel, Switzerland. Pastry & Bakery School of Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Bavaria, Germany. Former Chairman, PastryArts, French Culinary Institute, NYC the guy is know as the king of Pastry .

Favorite Dish: Foie Gras au Torchon et Brulé sur Brioche et Marmelade de Prune
    Seared Duck Breast with Caramelized Peach

The Inside Scoop: DELICIOUS HOME MADE ICE CREAM

by moiraistyx Written May 18, 2006

I work next door to this ice cream parlor and have had the pleasure of patronizing their establishment on several occassions. The ice cream is to die for and there is a wide variety of flavors. I would highly reccommend the Peanut Butter Explosion flavor, its my favorite so far.

When here say hello to the store's mascot, Oscar, a 12 year old cocker spaniel. He's sweet and loves his belly rubbed.

They do have a small selection of fast food items that are deep fried. The mozzerella sticks are tasty.

Favorite Dish: Sundae made with peanut butter explosion ice cream, peanut butter sauce and whipped cream.

Instant Answers: Hyde Park

Comments

Hyde Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hyde Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hyde Park sightseeing.