Winter is Losing its Grip !
As I drove down from Montreal to Albany in March, 2004 I had to pass through the Adirondack Mountains near Lake Placid. In this section of Interstate Highway 87, I passed many areas where the streams of the Adirondack Mountains had been frozen into curtains during the long and cold winter. The warmer weather meant that these sheets of ice were among the last signs of winter to let go!
- Business Travel
- Road Trip
Some Driving Tips for Whiteface Mountain Highway
White Mountain Memorial Highway is a very well maintained road,but you should take some caution while driving on it.
1. It may take you a while to even be able to drive on this road if it is a very busy weekend. Only so many cars are allowed at a time because there is limited parking at the top.
2. This ride is very scenic, but be sure to keep your eyes on the road. Don't worry, if you would like to take pictures, there are several parking areas along the way with picnic tables.
3.Obey all caution and speed limit signs,they were put there for a reason.
4.On your descent, do not ride you breaks and put your car in low gear.
We parked our car somewhere and walked around to see all the things we wanted to see. Got a map at the tourist information which is next to the ice hockey stadium. It's not a very big place so it's best to walk around.
The Car Ride Up - From Albany
First, make sure you have enough gas to get there.
From Albany, NY, drive North on I-87 until you get to Exit 30. This part of I-87 was voted the most scenic highway at one point in time. Be careful of state troopers in the middle median (at those No-U-turn areas) because they will pull you over if you go more than 10mph over the speed limit. There is only one exit 30, and turn left at the end of the exit ramp. It will take you about 2 hours or so to get to this exit from Albany. The trip to Lake Placid should take another 30-45 minutes, depending on if you are behind a 'putz' or not.
Be careful of this part of the drive, as there are parts where you can pass, and where you cannot pass. Also, the speed limit drops to 30mph in short areas, and you can get bagged for speeding thru these little towns, too. Some of the views you'll pass are amazing!
- Skiing and Boarding
- Hiking and Walking
- Mountain Climbing
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site