Long Island Favorites

watch your step, fool
  • from Fire Island looking back to mainland
    from Fire Island looking back to...
  • Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Long Island

Tourist Guides and Maps

cut and paste links

Favorite thing: Theres not too much literature out there about the tourist attractions in Long Island unless its about the Hamptons. One source I find the most useful is these two maps put out by the long Island Business and commerce bureau. Heres a link. http://www.tmdesign.net/ezguide/scenic/scenic.html This is for scenic towns of LOng Island and then http://www.tmdesign.net/ezguide/arts/arts.html for Arts and Cultural institutions.

Sunsets

by chodearm Updated Jan 20, 2005

from Fire Island looking back to mainland

Favorite thing: To catch a great sunset out hear in the island get over to the barrier beach and look back towards the mainland. You will get to see an array of colors year round and usually falling down over a body of water. I hear if you are on Shelter Island in between the South and North Fork one can see directly west and watch a sunset over water only and feels that you have set foot into the tropics, thats if it is summer.

Seagulls

seagulls

Favorite thing: Never really think much about the various animals that roam free on Long lsland. Theres Raccoons, Deer, various waterfowl, Wild Turkeys, Red Fox, Seagulls, migratory birds, visiting Harbor seals, whales, eastern box turtles, snakes, thousands of underwater creatures, osprey, appossums and many others that would be redundent to list here. Please don't feed the wildlife, for they should lay reliant on the means for food that they were before humans interacted and encroached their lands.

Beach Sculptures

by chodearm Updated Apr 1, 2005

getting too close to Mother Earth

Favorite thing: Close one eye. Leave the better of your two, the one closer to 20/20, open. Pan the beach around you. Its simple, theres all your elements, sand, water, sky, fragmite, dunes. Another prominent forieng object, the driftwood. Keep that eye closed if that isn't your creative eye, switch. Run over to the driftwood, accost it, watch for splinters, now drive it into the sand. You are POLEDIGGER. Bury a few feet into the earth. You penetrated MOTHER EARTH with your log. Find a few more pieces scattered about. Add to the single standing piece. You just made a sculpture, you are an artist, and earth artist, a nature artist, an Andy Goldsworthy of sorts.

Piping Plovers Nesting Areas

mad respect

Favorite thing: If you see the signs don't disrespect. These birds were on the endangered list and populations have been replenishing, due to cooperation of visitors to Fire Island. I know it sections off the beach a bit but we all gotta share this.

Skunk Cabbage

by chodearm Updated May 19, 2005

early spring sprouts

Favorite thing: I like the scent of skunk. I would bottle it into one of those "Pft Pft" bottles that women use to apply various perfumes. The mist I would imagine will be discolored in a grayish overtone and would happily fall upon my skin stopping short settling onto my armhair sheild. Everywhere I roamed people would take notice of my repulsive trail, and yet I would strut with a smile full of success. When tearing tracks through the woods I ahere to the early spring months, the BIRTH OF THE SKUNK WEED. Lets welocme the stench with open arms and wish it a Happy Birthday. Good Luck.

Cacti

by chodearm Updated Jun 28, 2005

watch your step, fool

Favorite thing: Cacti and I have never really gotten along. I have had my run-in with the nastiest of the species. Sitting on my windowsill, so close to my toilet, were three representatives from this odd plantlife. They sat behind me, quietly, as I hung over the bowl, naked, throwing up the nights liquids. My hiney, mimicking the moon hung high above. I violently thrust out more liquid and the pullback backed me up a little too far. The beavertail looking cacti injected tons of little sharp hair follicles into my left cheek. Itchy painful, Yuki had a new job with a pair of tweezers.

So now to the trail a year or so later, I thought I wouldn't have to see these babies out in the NorthEast wild. I thought a trip to the desert was my only chance for another run in. But here, in Long Island blaring out of the dead winter underbrush lay this little bastard.

Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Restoration

Favorite thing: Here you have 100 acres of 19th century Long Island. You can explore the past and speak with costumed interpreters.

We lived in Old Bethpage for a while and watched this restoration take shape. It was right around the corner from our home and down the street from the kids' school.

Fondest memory: The restoration is located on Round Swamp Road in Old Bethpage.

For information phone:
    516-572-8400

Sagamore Hill

Teddy Rossevelt's Study

Favorite thing: Sagamore Hill, the home of President Theodore Roosevelt, is furnished as it was during his lifetime. It is very interesting to see everything he enjoyed.

Sagamore Hill became a National Historic Site on July 8, 1963,

It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.

Fondest memory: My kids used to love to visit this place. Nowadays, however, admission is by guided tour only. Tours, offered every hour on the hour, last about 50 minutes.

Sagamore Hill National Historic Site is located at 20 Sagamore Hill Road in Oyster Bay. For information phone:
    516-922-4447

Brookhaven National Laboratories

Electron Microscope

Favorite thing: Brookhaven National Laboratories opens up to visitors one day a year. My kids used to love to go...yearly. They always enjoyed science and learned a lot from these visits. I hope they still have these visitors days.

The Brookhaven National Laboratories address is PO Box 5000 Upton, NY.

For information phone:
    631-344-8000

Fondest memory: This photo shows the Electron Microscope. It is used for imaging unstained biological molecules with minimal radiation damage.

Bayard Cutting Arboretum

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 25, 2003

Swan

Favorite thing: This is a lovely cool oasis on a hot summer day. The Arboretum has beautiful trees and lovely paths for walking. My kids loved it. I have to admit that their favorites were the swans.

Fondest memory: The Arboretum is located on Montauk Highway in Oakdale, NY.

Phone: 516-581-1002

• Eco-Tourism

Visit the Beaches of Long Island

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 25, 2003

My kids in 1965

Favorite thing: Jones Beach alone is a 2400 acre park, and there are over 150 more beaches operated by state, county, town and municipal authorities. Other famous beaches are the Hamptons and Fire Island.

When we lived in Nassau County we went to Tobay Beach which was run by the town of Oyster Bay for its residents.

Fondest memory: This photo of my daughter, Claire and my son, Bruce at the beach was taken in 1965. This would be Atlantic beach in Nassau County.

Instant Answers: Long Island

Comments

Long Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Long Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Long Island sightseeing.