Long Island Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Long Island

Coutry Kitchen: Not staple, but the German pankakes, G'damn

by chodearm Written Jun 28, 2005

In the heart of LI Wine Country this spot makes for a easy layover, a much needed sponge to sop up some of the wine that may be filling your insides by now. The menu was rather suprising, creative for being this far from NYC. The taste, perfect for lunch, and not so heavy for those who roil the town over for a "light lunch". I got down with the German Strawberry Pankakes and Yukes gorged herself with the Salmon. All done perfectly. I must mention their wine list, Lenz winery (a favorite of mine) produced some wines specifically for them for the by the glass sale. They also have a few other local wines taking up spot.

Favorite Dish: German Strawberry Pankakes, doughy heaven.

• Wine Tasting

Varney's: Another amazing discovery

by chodearm Written Apr 26, 2005

It's truley a shack. Theres no more than 10 tables, a slight bar, foggy windows, and a facade that reminds me of the morning after a severe drinking binge. But all on its lonesome, I had many questions about this restaurant. Situated a lonely stretch of Montauk Highway somewhere between Mastic and Patchogue, this rundown building housed the best seafood I have had yet on Long Island. After waitng 15 minutes for a table the owner seated us to deliver tastes I searched every shoreline for. Extensive below sea-level selections quickly gave me amnesia to my surroundings. 25 yrs. of service to the community sure paid off and speaking of pay...you won't pay a lot for this muffler.

Favorite Dish: Yuki had the Cod which was smothered in mushrooms and a brown sauce which I did get jealous that I didn't order it but I had the Mahi-Mahi cajun style which quelled my licking of lips while staring at Yuki's plate. Get some mussels in the red sauce....aaaa forget it, try anything..I'm sure it's great.

SEN: Japanese this east?

by chodearm Written Mar 29, 2005

The far east is easy to find fine Japanese offerings for this is geographically the positioning of the long slender strip of volcanic deposit. When the search for Japanese anything occurs on the long strip of sand in the far east of NY state the findings become that more of a scavenger hunt. Yuki's native dishes are usually so Americanized out that fish only bares its head in the Sushi selection. Anyone who has spent even a second on the Islands of Japan knows fish weaves itself into almost everything. If Japanese cuisine is sought on LI, good luck finding any authenticity. For one very great attempt at bringing the FAR EAST to the Far east end of Long Island stop in SEN. I just wish the menu had at least one Japanese character on it.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Katie Daly''s: Irish Pub and Restaurant

by keida84 Written Mar 27, 2005

Katie Daly's

A good time was had by all when members of my mother's side of the family gathered for a reunion. Our cousin Tom made reservations for dinner at Katie Daly's in Massapequa (Long Island) in New York. A very nice Irish pub and restaurant, this place must have been hopping on St Patrick's Day.

Although the table is set with linens and candles the atmosphere is casual, our group can be particularly loud at times (enough to wake the dead) and we did not seem to bother anyone.

The service was good and the waitress was capable of handling our large party of 11 people.

Favorite Dish: The food was excellent and generous in it's portions. I had a sliced skirt steak sandwich on garlic bread with the most delectable garlic french fries. Several at our table had the Shepherd's Pie. It was big enough to feed two people with the vegetables and whipped potatoes on top. My husband had the bangers and mash (sausage and potatoes) which he praised the delicate flavor.

Katie Daly offers a full bar and the bartender poured a "perfect pint" of Guiness without any effort at all.

Lawan Thai Restaurant: They are really Thai

by chodearm Written Mar 1, 2005

Long Island restaurants are never really suprising. They take meat cook it, plate it and never dress it. Fish only gets broiled or fried and the burger seems to be staple. Ethnicity is usually forged, where Chinese is AMERICAN CHINESE, Koreans make so called SUSHI, Mexicans make Japanese, and well the food just usually plain SUCKS. Yuki and I come from a wide variety of tastes and search high and low, far and near for food that will at least set a smile and leave us with a feeling that it was money well spent. Till now the price hasn't fit the taste until happening upon LAWAN. Thai in its origin, (chef and staff as well) the food was right on. Currys were perfect, duck was taken out of the frier in time, Pad Thai noodles to correct Al Dente-ness, decor brought you worlds away with a clean distinguished look not over-done, and there was Thai spoken on premises. I would give this place whatever letter comes before A+++.

Favorite Dish: That Duck with pineapples in Red Curry. Lick my chops over and over.

THE BELLPORT: A real restaurant

by chodearm Written Feb 14, 2005

Finally something that arrived on the plate set in front of me that I can actually rave about. This is what I have been searching all the small towns of Long Island for. Living there put a dire need to find a spot I can eat and feel that I am one- getting good food, and two- it was worth the price. The Bellport's owners landed in the quaint village via passage through Manhattan, London and D.C. and with them have brought far-fetched knowledge of how food should be prepared and the importance of using local product. On an Island one would thing the sea's givings would be commonplace in establishments, but all too many restaurants get some stock menu and broil anything they can. This disguising of flavor I push away. The Bellport did land and sea correct. I opted for the local Long Island Duck where Yuki hooked in some Tuna all prepared to perfection. I will reccommend you get yourself the Escargot sitting atop the Artichoke hearts a unique but perfect combo. The interior, atmosphere and taste add up to surpass many city establishments, a search I can only've hoped to find out here. I will now mark this place as a regular stop just as the dog did, just beyond the glass outside.

Favorite Dish: They did have Opus One on the menu along with a Old Vine Lenz Merlot.

• Wine Tasting

The Coasl Grill: Local Catches

by chodearm Updated Jan 17, 2005

using a Beamer as a tripod

Suggestions of locals are my only way of eating in unbeknowest lands. Asking retail workers at high end boutiques will set you in the right direction. We were pointed to a place with good food if it wasn't atmosphere and trendiness we sought. Trendiness usually lacks in taste so we went to this place for the local catches and fish. Wine list consisted of imports and LI own wine, check one. Food was from the waters that surrounded us, check two. The bill wasn't the sme as a doctor visit, check three.

Mermaid: The Nautical Mile

by chodearm Updated Aug 16, 2004

The Kings claw and I

Freeport has always been a piece of the Long Island map but not part of my personal map. I knew it was on the water and I knew Nassau County claims ownership. I've heard of the Nautical Mile and always had a wondering urge to see it for myself since a hunt for restaurants in the new is always part of my agenda. So Yukijohn cruised on over to the Nautical Mile so called because its a mile of restaurants and shops on both tar and water, boat and car accessible. The beaches find of a blue claw crab leg put a sudden urge for Crab Legs into the appetite of Yukijohn and it was undying. A few stops along the MILE surmounted and landed our little rearends in chairs sitting harborside with a large basket of KIng Crab legs and a night filled of agita.

Favorite Dish: Them King Crab Legs.

• Hiking and Walking

Violet Cove: Outside Bar on the Great South Bay

by chodearm Updated Jul 6, 2004

The place serves of HUGE portions of seafood and shellfish. Thats not just the reason to come. If its a hot summer night come down to drink a RED STRIPE while looking at the bay. They installed a full service bar outside, and there is rumors of a boat taxi that will take you to and from the campsites across the bay at Smith Point County park. Also there will be some crazy suburban band trying to rock.

Favorite Dish: Get some RED STRIPE, also their mussels come in a huge pail.

• chodearm's Profile Photo

Pages: Coffee House, in Mastic Beach?

by chodearm Updated May 25, 2004

This is the one and only place you are going to find a coffee house in Mastic Beach. Its on the way to William Floyd Estate from the Otis Pike Wildness Area and Smith Point County Park. The interior includes a indoor screened seating area and some outdoor seating. They have the usual coffeehouse flair and sometimes they have live music. At least it is an option to Starbucks which is an infection spreading quickly across the Island. The big rumor is the owners are from the city so with them they bring something new to these parts.
    And guess what... there is no drive up window, good thing, get out of your car for a minute.

Favorite Dish: Gimme a doubleshot of the Espresso please.

Instant Answers: Long Island

Comments

Long Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Long Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Long Island sightseeing.