Mamaroneck Travel Guide

• Mamaroneck

Mamaroneck Things to Do

• gilabrand's Profile Photo

by gilabrand Updated Mar 2, 2011

Mamaroneck is not your typical tourist venue. But I was staying with a brother who lives on the border of Mamaroneck and Larchmont, and as I told everyone when I set out on my walk on that cloudy overcast winter day, I was determined to track down something to see in the neighborhood. In my book, there is no such thing as an uninteresting place. It’s a matter of attitude.

Of course, grilling the locals rarely turns up anything. They can never fathom why anyone would be interested in where they live. So what did I find in Mamaroneck?

Walking down Boston Post Road, I came across a red brick building with a tower that I would have sworn was a castle. The grounds were well-tended and it certainly looked historic. A uniformed man who came out revealed the secret: I was looking at the Mamaroneck Sewage and Waste Treatment Center.

It was built in the 1930s and processes all the wastewater from a 30-square-mile area that includes Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison and parts of White Plains. After treatment, the sewage from businesses and private homes is sent back out to the Long Island Sound. The tower, which everyone thinks is a lighthouse, was built to carry away the sewage smells.

Mamaroneck Sewage Treatment Center
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

by cjg1 Updated Oct 7, 2009

Liz and I often find ourselves here for a free movie. We have our Cable company's Triple Play program that gives us two free movie tickets evey Tuesday night at Clearview Cinemas. We love our movies so free tickets are great. This particular theatre has seen better days and needs some serious renovation but the screen is good and we always have a seat.

They have a good selection of new movies os we can always be sure to find the latest movie we want to see.

• Mamaroneck Hotels

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Business

Mamaroneck Restaurants

by cjg1 Updated Apr 29, 2010

Sal's is a local favorite and know throughout Westchester county for their Sicilian Pizza. Sal's is the typical looking pizza joint with booths throughout. Sal's not only has incredible pizza but they have good calzones, sandwiches, pasta and italian dishes. The place is always busy with customers eager to have some of Sal's delicious food.

Sal's sicilian pizza is a favorite of Liz and I and we stop in at least every other week either for some pizza before a movie or to take out a Sicilian pizza. The crust is perfectly cooked, the sauce has just the right amount of seasonings and the cheese is so creamy. So if you want good Sicilian make it a point to stop at Sal's.

Favorite Dish: The Sicilian Pizza of course! The best Sicilian pizza I've ever had....perfect crust, good sauce and creamy cheese.

Delicious Sicilian Pizza

by cjg1 Updated Apr 5, 2010

Rani Mahal is a favorite of Liz and I. We love Indian food and the food here is excellent.

The restuarant is located right in the heart of town on Mamaroneck Avenue. Parking is metered on the street and I suggest you park in the back; there are more spaces available. Inside the restaurant is quite large with plenty of seating. We like to come here during the week when it is less crowded or early on a Saturday for the lunch buffet.

The food here is very good and the portion sizes are a good side. The friendly and attentive service is unbelievable and the waiters just love to suggest food ideas for you to try. There is something on the menu for everyone: vegetarian, seafood, lamb, chicken, meat and salads. We always come here hungry and leave here full and satisfied with our meal.

Some of our favorite dishes here are the Samosas, Pakoras, Papad, Sabji Masala and the Lamb Sag. The garlic Naan is not to be missed and we order it every time we are here. The ingredients are very fresh and the tastes are amazing.

Favorite Dish: We love the Lamb Sag; boneles chunks of lamb in a mildly spicy spinch sauce. It is amazing and serves in a beautiful metal bowl with basmati rice on the side. A single portion is too much for two people. The Papad is a pepper flatbread that they put on the table with three sauces. The green sauce is ultra hit, the red sauce is sweet yet spicy and the brown sauce is sweet and not hot. The Pakoras here are excellent; we are big fans of Pakoras. They are soft inside and crunchy outside with just the right amount of spice added to the onion, potato, spinach and culiflower mix. The Samosas are very large; one is good for a person and the dough is flaky and crisp. The garlic Naan is incredible here. There is a ton of garlic and plenty of fresh cilantro on top. It is perfect for dipping into your entree.

Garlic Naan Lamb Saag Vegetable Samosas Vegetable Pakoras Papad

by cjg1 Updated Feb 2, 2010

This is your basic town diner. The place is right on the Post Road so it is often jam packed with people especialy on the weekends. They have the typical diner food. Their are two large dining areas as well as counter seating. The food here is good for a diner but the service is spotty.

We have come here several times and have had good service and bad service. On one occasion I ordered a gyro and was surprised when I given a cheese burger instead. The burger was okay but not what I wanted. Liz at least got the grilled cheese sandwich that she ordered and was happy with it. That's just an example of what can happen here. I think it's more of a language issue since the majority of wait saff have poor English skills.

Favorite Dish: The gyros here are pretty good and a nice portion. The burger is good and they don't overcook it. Their onion rings are alright and their french fries are nice and crispy.

I like their milkshakes; very thick and large. Liz likes their chocolate egg creams and often has one with her grilled cheese sandwich.

The Cheeseburger I didn't order Fries Grilled Chese Sandwich

Instant Answers: Mamaroneck

Comments

Mamaroneck Travel Guide
Map of Mamaroneck