Montauk Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Montauk

rocky

by chodearm Updated Jul 18, 2005

click me, I have a boat in me

Favorite thing: Long Island is mostly a large sand bar. A series of two glacial deposits during the last receding Ice Age formed all of the land here. Unlike the bedrock that sits underneath most parts of the US Long Island is largely sand, dirt, sporadic rocks and brush to hold it all together. The two forks represet the two dumpings, first melting and dropping the South Fork and later another unloading of the North Fork. This stall than melt tactic left behind way more rocks here than anywhere else on the Island. The outerbeaches usually leave the rocks out of their element equation consisting of the softest of sands, dunes, water and fragmite (the dune grass). These behemoth hard surfaces are an element I have taking a liking to seeing but not swimming next to.

Cliffs

by chodearm Updated Jul 18, 2005

Yuki and the cliffside

Favorite thing: This ain't looking like LI. We have a Japanese native sitting brightly colored with a mass of brown backing her up. Long Island is flat for the most part, and ethnicity is almost rare. Cliffs outline the eastern tip of LI with views that stretch far into the Atlantic ocean. It reminded me more of what you find along the shoreline of RI minus the asian.

erosion

by chodearm Updated Jul 19, 2005

teeth like a civil-war graveyard

Favorite thing: The cliffs look like a snaggle tooth grin, or displace you to Bryce Canyons NP Hoo Doo's. Erosion is literally eating up the Island. People try to climb these cliffs and aid in speeding erosion. Yo, stay off the cliffs. Rain run-off carves these many structures which look oh-so delicate. Just stand back and glare, no need to touch. How about this, if you touch I remove your hands by sand papering them away on the barnacle ridden rocks. Then I take my chlorine filled canteen and douse you nubs. Idiot, jerk, weiner head.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

birdies

by chodearm Updated Jul 19, 2005

birds in the mist

Favorite thing: I was taught to share when I was in pre-school and I was quite a sharer. I would partition my lunch, slice up my jokes, and give plenty of laughs. But I start demonizing what i learned in those early years when it comes to sharing my sand real estate. I do share the places I have been with you the reader's since your interest is important to me cause if your on this sight that is a given that you are highly interested in the world around you. Its the tight quarters that the beaches of the Hamptons I am talking about that ruins the sharing for me. Sitting beachside with some dumbasses who are there for the chick gawking or muscle flexing breaks my curteousness. I do however have no problem sharing the place with these birds. If I knew a person with hollow bones they could come down as well, but for now while I am trying to sweat out the chaotic citylife, just ration me with more of these flying friends.

• Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking

• Beach parties

by Srechko Written Feb 25, 2003

Some girls are as hot as this one!

Favorite thing: Beach parties definitely. At a matter of fact - they were quite a shock. Our favourite beach was located close to a place called Hampton Bays.

There were two beach bars there and a beach and that's all the reason we needed to stay there three days. We would leave the beach in the evening and go out to Hampton Bays. Town has a few interesting bars and clubs where most patrons are tourists looking for a good time.

Fondest memory: Well what happens at those beaches...Here is a usual scenario - around 11 am people start gathering at the beach doing normal activities, chatting, playing volleyball, laying in the sun. Everything looks normal. Then around 1pm, over the speakers everyone is called to come to the bar, because you don't want to miss beer specials. Every day diffent beer company is the sponsor and they sell their beers for $2 only and give t-shirts, lighters and other stuff away. Around 3pm bar games start. At that time bar and the beach are already full of people and nobody is sober. Games are various, but they all have one idea - drink more beer. Around 5pm everyone is drunk and the rest of story would be X-rated so I will let your imagination work from here...

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Montauk

Comments

Montauk Favorites

Reviews and photos of Montauk favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montauk sightseeing.