Montgomery Travel Guide

Patrick resting on the bench
    view of the lake
    by moiraistyx
    another view of the lake

Montgomery Things to Do

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 4, 2011

One day when driving home from Middletown, Patrick and I decided to check out Winding Hills Park. I believe it's called Winding Hills cause the road you drive up to get to the parking lot is really curvy. I knew the first time we saw the park that we would come back to do some hiking, skating or even some fishing. This is one of those State Parks that offers a lot for sorts of people. During our first visit, we took a walk down to the lake and to the ranger station. On our second visit we came hiking with my friend Tiffany and her dog Buster. Our third visit was hiking with my friend Chris. I told Richie about the park and he's since gone hiking here a handful of times and even brought the boys here on a really, cold winter day. From what I hear, he fell right on his behind on a patch of ice. Anyway, you can camp here and fish, hike, ice skate, picnic etc. It's a carry in carry out park so bring your own trash bags. Check out the website for a fee schedule for camping. I've never paid an entrance fee to the park and I didn't read of one on the site either.

view of the lake another view of the lake Patrick resting on the bench Patrick resting on a fence a Vision through the trees
    • Hiking and Walking

• Borland House Bed and Breakfast

130 Clinton Street, Montgomery, New York, 12549, United States

Satisfaction: Excellent

• Academy House Inn & Spa

136 Clinton Street, ex. Mead-Tooker House, Montgomery, New York, 12549, United States

Satisfaction: Excellent

• Montgomery-Daystop

125 Neelytown Rd, Montgomery, NY 12549

Montgomery Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Oct 15, 2010

The Name "Back Yard Bistro" is very accurate for this place. It is literally in the back yard of the catering facility in a renovated garage. From the outside it looks like nothing much but inside was warm and inviting. Several tables were strewn throughout the small and intimate dining room. The menu had an interesting array of items. It took me a bit of time to decide on an entree. The menu seems to try too hard to be interesting with dishes that have way to many ingredients and seasonings. After some consideration I decided on the Tagliatelle and Hudson Valley Fresh Vegetables Tossed with Nettle Pesto, Liz decided to have the Bistro Cut Sirloin Steak, Potato Andouille Croquettes with Molasses Tamarind Steak Sauce , Mom and Hal decided to split the Duck Confit Pan Fried Oyster Topped with Fresh Herb Drops as an appetizer, Mom ordered the Licorice Spiked Ricotta Ravioli with Pancetta, Grilled Chicken, Maitake Mushroom & Spinach and Hal ordered the Smoked Roasted Pork Loin with Peach Chipotle Espuma and Pork Belly Empanada. There were small corn and bean salad samples handing out on tiny plates courtesy of the chef that were quite nice. A basket of fresh foccachia and blue cheese bread was on the table with a hummus type spread. The bread was nothing to rave about.

We all tried some of the oysters. Both Liz and I found them to be a bit on the bland side and the herb drops were strange tasting. My pasta was too thick and didn't taste fresh. I liked the pesto and the vegetables in the dish. Liz liked her meat and the croquetes but found the molasees sauce a bit too sweet for her taste. Mom and Hal enjoyed their meals and finished their plates.

After dinner the waitress brought out spoons of watermellon panna cotta with a melon ball on top; samples from the chef. It was very god and refreshing after the meal. Dessert and coffee menus were passed out but only Liz had dessert. She saw a chocolate ganache creme brulee on the menu and just had to have it. We all enjoyed watching her dig in to her dessert; it was like watching a kid eat candy for the first time. She said the custard was pefect and the rich chocolate ganache at the bottom of the ramekin was the perfect ending.

Basically we came here with Mom and Hal simply because Mom likes the place. I probably wouldn't find myself eating here again. The food is okay but I feel that they try too hard to impress and wind up falling short.

Liz and her Chocolate Ganache Creme Brulee Bistro Filet Tagliatelle Joking Around... Licorice Spiked Ravioli

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

by moiraistyx Written Apr 8, 2008

I've only been to this restaurant on one occassion back in 2005, but I have to say that the food and the atmosphere were really wonderful. My companion and I enjoyed a nice bottle of wine with our meals along with the usual choice of soup or salad. I honestly don't remember what my dinner date had, but I had a wonderful swordfish in a lemon dill sauce served with a absolutely delicious side of rice pilaf and fresh seasonal vegetables.

• Montgomery Hotels

4 Hotels in Montgomery

Instant Answers: Montgomery

Comments

Montgomery Travel Guide
Map of Montgomery