New Paltz Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in New Paltz

HIMALYAN ARTS: TREASURES FROM THE HIMALYAS

by moiraistyx Updated Apr 4, 2011

ENTRANCE TO THE SHOP

I fell in love with this small shop the second I walked into it. They have an impressive collection of hand-crafted items from the Himalayas including rugs, jewelry, clothing, and ritual items. The clothing runs about $20 an item depending on what you buy and the rugs can be anything from average to out of this world. The jewelry is also very beautiful. I purchased a beautiful necklace made from silver and jade.

What to buy: The jewelry is one of a kind. The rugs are beautiful.

Old Flame: CANDLES, CANDLES EVERYWHERE

by moiraistyx Updated Sep 29, 2006

When you enter this store you can't help but fall in love with all the great scents. There is a wide variety of candles to chose from in all sorts of shapes and sizes. The candles are all natural and hand poured or dipped so they are a bit more on the pricey side. They are worth it though. I bought a sage and lavender candle that filled my room with a wonderful aroma and it burned clean. They also stock a small supply of all natural soaps and lotions. These weren't anything to write home about. I prefer the stuff in Bath and Body Works. Stick to the candles here.

THIS STORE IS NOW CLOSED

What to buy: Candles

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

THE OWL AND SERPENT: NEW AGE MEETS SOUTH AMERICAN AND AFRICAN "MAGIC"

by moiraistyx Updated Sep 29, 2006

This is a great store for anyone who practices homeopathic medicine. It is loaded with plants, herbs and other stuff I couldn't figure out in jars. They have a semi decent New Age section. The displays lack luster and the staff weren't too keen and providing information, but it was still interesting.

I took the time this past summer to stop back at this great little store sans Patrick. I was greeted this time by three practicing witches. After speaking for several minutes with them my cell phone went off. Before I even looked at who was calling, the male witch told me that I should get as far away as possible from the man calling me. Low and behold, it was SES. I think there is some validity to this witch business. My discussion with this truly great group of people also lead to the discovery that one of the witches also plays World of Warcraft. We had a great discussion about the character we chose for ourselves in relation to our birth and spirtual elements. My character is a priest, what do you think that says about me?

Anyway, if you just need some supplies or if you are up for an education in the Wiccan ways, stop by this great corner store and talk to the folks behind the counter. Tell them I sent you, you might get a discount, that is if you have a good aura.

THIS STORE HAS RECENTLY CLOSED

What to buy: stuff from the jars, or some healing stones

MAGLYN'S DREAM: HANDMADE ELEGANCE

HANGING CANDLE HOLDERS

This store is filled with one of a kind hand made items. I absolutely loved the table and chair sets, but at over $5000 who can afford that. I also liked the little tree ornaments hanging outside the shop. The store keeper got annoyed at me taking pictures and follow me around the store like a hawk. I finally stopped and asked her why she was following me and she asked why I was taking pictures, so I told her about VT and she backed off. Guess she thought I was some corporate spy or something. She has a nice selection of hand knitted items also. The candle holders in the picture were also very nice.

What to buy: Jewelry, gift items.

What to pay: most items were $10 or more

PAWS OF DINSTINCTION: EVERYTHING FOR FIDO A LITTLE FOR KITTY

CASE OF PUPPY TREAT

If you are the type of person who spoils the four legged members of your family then you should visit this shop. Not only do they have just about everything to spoil fido, but they also have quite a bit to spoil kitty. One of the cutest things I saw here was the Halloween costumes for our four legged friends. They also have a really cool case of doggie treats that are home made by the owners. I did pick up a cat toy for Harry Potter and Sammy to enjoy and they chewed it apart in less than half an hour. It was filled with catnip of course or as we like to call it in our house "Kitty Pot".

What to buy: treats for your pets

What to pay: a few dollars to much more

• Travel with Pets

EDEN BOUTIQUE: BEAUTIFUL CLOTHING AND FINE JEWELRY

A CLOTHING DISPLAY

I love the clothes is this little boutique. Not only are they professional, but they have just the right amount of sexiness to them. The items are on the expensive side about $40 for a shirt, but it's worth it. They appear well made and are made from quality fabrics. I will be stopping back here sans child so that I may try some things on.

What to buy: Clothing

LUNA BLUE: JEWELRY AND GIFT

BUTTERFLY WIND CHIME

I didn't get to spend nearly as much time browsing this wonderful shop as I would have liked. It is loaded with all sorts of jewelry and gift items that are bound to please even the pickiest man or woman. I knew this was a cool shop as soon as I saw the butterfly wind chime hanging outside its door, because as all of you know, I collect butterflies. I didn't buy the wind chime though, just noted where I saw it so I could put it on my Christmas list.

What to buy: Jewelry

ARTISAN SWEETS: SWEET YUMMIES

STORE SIGN

I stopped in this store to look for some fudge for my mother and was rather disappointed that a "sweets" store didn't have any fudge at all. They didn't have much of a candy collection at all as a matter of fact. I think this was the first time I walked out of a candy store with out purchasing any candy. I was actually grossed out by some pastries they had sitting out uncovered trying to sell them. There were flys all over them.

What to buy: anything that's been covered up

THE ANTIQUES CENTER: ANTIQUES, ANTIQUES AND MORE ANTIQUES

THE ANTIQUES CENTER

If you are a true antique hunter this is a great place to stop. The store made to look like a barn, houses two stories of antique odds and ends. The items didn't appear to be sectioned off by dealer and not by subject which makes looking for something in particular kind of hard, but fun. I found a Paddington Bear music box here. It didn't play right so I got it real cheap, less than $10. Do not bring small mobile children here since there are thousands of breakable items well withing their reach and the store is crowded so chasing after them may prove difficult.

What to buy: antiques of all sorts

What to pay: what you are willing

THE RUSTIC BOHEMIAN: CONNECTING THROUGH MOTHER NATURE

STORE SIGN

If you are looking to get into a chemical free life style the Rustic Bohemian is a good place to start. The shop is loaded with all natural skin care and beauty products. It also offers a nice selection of "GREEN" cleaning supplies. I purchased a bottle of lavender cleaner that can be used as an all around cleaner. I put a capful of it in the washing machine and it makes my clothes smell heavenly. Store founder Christina Serviss also offer a line of home-made journals, candles and home furnishings.

What to buy: The lavender cleaner

What to pay: less than $10.00 on average.

Water Street Market: A LARGE COLLECTION OF SHOPS

by moiraistyx Written May 28, 2006

Water Street Market is a collection of about 15 shops and eateries overlooking the Wallkill River and the Shawngunk Ridge. Each store offers something different and unique. As you browse from shop to shop enjoy the landscaped flower beds and the rustic look and feel of the surronding. When your feet get tired, stop at one of the eateries for a refreshing drink and a quick pick me up. The shops include The Antiques Barn, The Antiques Center, Wintermoon Studios, Paws of Distinction, Luna Blue, Eden, Himalayan Arts, The Cheese Plate, The Harvest Cafe and The Mudd Puddle Coffee Roaster and Cafe. There are other shops too. I will list each shop individually in a separate tip.

What to buy: What ever you enjoy.

What to pay: ???

HANDMADE AND MORE: DON'T DROP IT OR YOU BUY IT

by moiraistyx Written May 11, 2006

How do you desribe this absolutely fantastic shop. Most of the stuff in here is handmade by area artists and craftsmen. They do have a nice collection of lilac scented items, my favorite. I bought my mother some lilac soaps that smelled wonderful. I also got her a chocolate voodoo doll as a joke. I was able to add yet another piece of butterfly jewelry to my collection, they had a butterfly pendnat on a chain that was made from high quality amber. It was a bit pricey but worth it to the avid butterfly collecter.

What to buy: Jewelry, glass items, specialty items

What to pay: however much your little heart desires

ENCHANTED TOYS: EVERYTHING A CHILD EVER WANTED

by moiraistyx Written May 11, 2006

If you are ever looking for a toy out of the ordinary for that special child in your life, or if you are just a big kid at heart this toy store is for you. The stock a complete line of wooden toys, legos, figures, dinosaurs, doll houses and even toys for toddlers and infants. I found some great dinosaur model kits here and wanted the large display model dinosaur. I couldn't have it but the shop keeper gave me the information of where to get it.

What to buy: the medevil figurines, dinosaur models, wooden toys

What to pay: prices range from a few dollars to, well a lot

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Great finds: Antiques galore

by Gypsystravels Written Apr 3, 2006

Entrance to the market where the shops are found

At this "Market" you can find a variety of antiques shops. I usually go straight to the jewelry or the china.

On this particular trip I was actually looking for a coat with a fur collar. I found 3 in just one shop. The prices were great the average cost being $75.

The good thing about these shops is that you never know what treasure you may find.

What to buy: My sister collects these porcelain animal figures which I can describe best as a mom animal attached by a chain to its babies. Strange as it may seem, they are really hard to find.

I found a horse with 5 colts which I have never seen in my many visits to local and foreign antique shops. Too bad the price was a bit out of my range, I would have purchased it for my sister.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Paws of Distinction: Spoiling your Pet

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 3, 2006

Entrance to the shop

This specialty pet shope has everything you would want for you pampered pet. I stumbled in to check out the speciality treats as my little girl (Cookie, my daschund) only eats natural treats.

The girl at the shop was very eager to show us a variety of home made treats that can be consumed by humans.

She gave us a treat for Cookie along with some information about the Cancer Society Dog Walk.

What to buy: The shope girl told me that she bakes all the treats from natural ingredients and bring "Cerrano" ham bones back from Spain.

You can also find cute collars, leashes, charms for the collars, beds, carries and toys.

Instant Answers: New Paltz

Comments

New Paltz Shopping

Reviews and photos of New Paltz shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for New Paltz sightseeing.