Ground Zero, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Freedom Tower as seen from cruise
  • Ground Zero
    Freedom Tower
  • GrantBoone's Profile Photo

WORLD TRADE CENTRE.

by GrantBoone Updated Jan 9, 2004

Favorite thing: I wanted to add the World trade centre to my NY page because it was an important part of my own trip . We travelled to NY in 1995 and so had the chance to reach the observation tower at WTC . I still havee my entry ticket to the tower and some great photo memories .

• acemj's Profile Photo

My first trip to NYC

by acemj Written Dec 2, 2003

Favorite thing: I believe this was around 1980. We were coming back from Hong Kong for our annual summer visit to the States. Earlier that summer we had stopped in Wales to visit some relatives who were living there and on the way to Minnesota (where my mom's family lives) we stopped in New York. As a kid who grew up in Hong Kong, the big buildings and fast pace were nothing new, but it was nonetheless amazing to be in such a famous place and to see such recognizable images as the World Trade Center towers that you can see behind my sister and me.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Ground Zero

by acemj Updated Sep 3, 2003

surviving beams from the world trade center

Favorite thing: The spot where the World Trade Center once stood is now a huge construction site. One street is kept free of vendors selling tee shirts, hot dogs and other mostly tacky items. There is a list of every victim of the attack who died as well as some historical photos of the site, construction photos and post 9/11 photos and tributes.

I had mixed emotions about visiting here. For anyone (American or not) who remembers that horrible day, it is sure to bring back memories of dust and death and bodies falling from the sky. Then, you see the construction and you're reminded that good people always rebuild and return to strength.

I wasn't too pleased to see people smiling and snapping photos of themselves as if to say, "here I am conquering another tourist sight in NYC", but then again, as time passes feelings subside. However, I can't imagine this place as being anything but somber as long as it stands as a memorial to that day. Maybe when the new buildings are completed things can return to some semblance of normalcy . . . maybe.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

A good memory : Twin Towers

by Carmela71 Updated Jun 4, 2003

Twin Towers from Lady Liberty

Favorite thing: Sadly, the World Trade Center Towers no longer dominate the skyline of Manhattan Island.

On September 11, 2001, two seperate passenger jets plunged into the towers causing massive destruction and fire.

A few hours later both towers collapsed into heaps of rubble.

Many people were killed in this catastrophe including hundreds of firemen, policemen and rescue workers.

I would only say, that the memory of everything that was lost on that day, that they will never take away!

Fondest memory: He who hates does not know God.

Martin Luther King

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

World Financial Center Building

by jessicadf Written May 20, 2003

Johnzane in the World Financial Center

Favorite thing: Johnzane and I did shopping day where we started at Century 21 and walked and walked and walked. We were intrigued by the windows of a building across the way from Century 21, so we headed in that direction after shopping there. Turns out it's the World Financial Center building. Great atrium, eh?

• feline01's Profile Photo

The WTC

by feline01 Updated May 18, 2003

An empty sky

Fondest memory: The NYC skyline. It's now scarred but my whole life was spent seeing the World Trade Center from different places around the town I grew up in. The trade center was the only building tall enough to be seen from 15 miles away. It was such a thrill everytime I saw it from home or when we were driving in to the city especially through the Holland Tunnel. This is a photo taken from Liberty Science Center in Liberty State Park (NJ) looking across at lower Manhattan. Several years ago, the most distinctive objects in this photo would have been the towers. Now it just doesn't look the same.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

The site of the former world...

by Jim_Eliason Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: The site of the former world trade center now looks more like a construction site than a disaster site. However a cross formed by steel girders from the site remind everyone of the tragedy that took place here

• shdw100's Profile Photo

Visit the WTC site

by shdw100 Updated Sep 10, 2002

Top of the WTC

Favorite thing: I am hesitant to mention this or put this picture on the web because I DO NOT want to appear as boasting. I had the chance to visit the WTC before September 11th. My favorite thing was going to the top of the WTC and viewing one of the greatest cities in the world and feeling like I was on top of the world!! It will be an irony of having a happy memory and also a sad feeling that I can never do that again and only remembering the tragic pictures that I have seen. I would encourage anyone who will visit NYC in the future to see the site where the magificent towers once stood.

• sketchyhand's Profile Photo

sketchyhand's General Tip

by sketchyhand Written Sep 8, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memory in reflection is the time I was able to spend near the World Trade Centers. Being an Architect, I was completely astonished at the scale of these structures. September 11th was all that more real after experiencing the life of the buildings in person.

• AndreasK's Profile Photo

New York is the world’s...

by AndreasK Updated Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: New York is the world’s premier location for art, music, theater, dance and all-around culture. New York City is one of the most ethnically diverse cities. Most of what makes New York so famous is the cosmopolitan Manhattan Island. Since I only „know“ Manhattan, this page is only about this part of New York City. On September 11th, 2001, the World Trade Center (picture) was destroyed; New York's skyline is not the same anymore.

• Lisalu's General Tip

by Lisalu Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: It is really sad that this place doesn't exist any more. This picture was taken exactly one month before the catastrophe happened. Steffi and I were having a rest there after we had been on Ellis Island.

• We did so many great things...

by Cazza777 Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: We did so many great things that its very hard to pick just one thing to recommend but if pushed I would have to choose the World Trade Centre Observation Platform just as the sun is setting - totally unforgetable! Wonderful & breathtaking views from here & a nice food available too.

Fondest memory: Walking out onto the roof terrace of our hotel (The Metro - W 35th street) & seeing the Empire State building, resplendent in red, white & blue, towering above us.

• It's amazing that I stood on...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: It's amazing that I stood on top of this building just a few years ago, and now it is no more. It saddens, sickens, and amazes me to no end! My thoughts go out to the victims and those affected by September 11th.

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Give credit to the spirit of...

by danmcf Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Give credit to the spirit of New York and New York's ability to maintain that spirit after the events of 9/11/01.

Fondest memory: I'm not sure 'fondest' would be the correct description of my memories of the WTC site. Pictured here is St. Paul's Chapel, a focal point of the hundreds (if not thousands) of personal memorials left near the site.
    The waiting line for the observation deck was here also.

• zizquark's Profile Photo

I'm sorry about the darkness...

by zizquark Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I'm sorry about the darkness of thes photos . I'm still getting used to a new camera. This was a letter that was posted in front of one of the Firehouses. A young girl had collected a large number of 'Jolly Rancher' candies for the Firemen to help clear thir mouths from breathing in all the dust. The firemen had put the jolly ranchers out front with a sign asking the community to take some but I don't think anyone wanted to take anything that was meant for the firemen

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels