Maps, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Lower Manhattan
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

Get A Good Map Of Manhattan

by Mikebb Written Aug 5, 2007

Lower Manhattan

Favorite thing: During our week in Manhattan we relied upon our maps as we did much of our sightseeing on foot. It is essential to have a general understanding of the districts. As long as you get close to your destination it is easy to seek help from pedestrians. We found that people were very helpful, a good place to "look lost" is traffic lights as there is always someone willing to help you out.

• Seniors

• 850prc's Profile Photo

Get yourself a New York Smartsave map

by 850prc Updated Dec 9, 2004

NYC Smartsave Map...20% off lots of stuff!

Favorite thing: While walking into the NYC Subway system, I came upon a small display offering "New York Smartsave Street Maps". I'd seen the same item in various hotel lobbies and such. Unlike much of the tourist crap that one can and does pick up for free, this little gem is quite handy.

First and foremost, it's a nice NYC street map. The print is large enough for us old codgers to read, and it's up-to-date with many of the recent NYC landmark changes, both new and unfortunate. In short, it's a great accompaniment as you plot your course through the Big Apple via the subway.

And second....each Smartsave Map has a "code" that vendors can log to give you discounts on many local attractions. For example, with this code, you can save the following amounts.....

$2 admission discount at the Guggenheim
    10% discount on Statue of Liberty heli tours
    20% discount on the NY Skyride attraction
    20% discount on the Empire State admission
    A FREE "Blue Man Group" t-shirt

....and my personal favorite...

20% discount for admission to the New York City Museum of Sex. I'd suggest that this deal is HARD TO BEAT, but that would endanger my lily-white and virtuous reputation here on virtualtourist.com. Please forgive the temporary slide into depravity for the sake of humor, my friends. I suppose I still have a few secrets here on VT, eh? (91)

Anyway, get your hands on one of these discount maps and save your cash for dinner. You'll need it. : )

• glassslipper's Profile Photo

Maps

by glassslipper Updated Jun 3, 2004

Favorite thing: You don't want to spend your time in NY underground in a subway.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1878892134/pinkhouses -- Manhattan Block By Block: A Street Atlas

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811838447/pinkhouses -- City Walks: New York: 50 Adventures on Foot

• trotador's Profile Photo

Good shoes and GO...

by trotador Updated Oct 25, 2002

Times Square

Favorite thing: Manhatan is not a difficult area to get lost. As far you go South to Downtown the streets start getting different and losing the regular square block. In other words, at the South the streets are irregular. A map is a good friend in NYC. Subway is easy, always paying attention to the numbers and destination of the trains, some of them just run few stations.

Fondest memory: I was a little bit frustrated because I heard much about this city and I was waiting for more...but it was enough...

• barbskie's Profile Photo

By foot

by barbskie Updated Apr 10, 2006

Favorite thing: The best way to explore if your accomodation is in the city center is also by foot. Just take always a map with you and guide yourself. It is more fun especially if you are in group.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels