Subway, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Best bargain in the city!
    by toonsarah
    Relaxing with a beer
    by toonsarah
    by a5floor
  • csordila's Profile Photo

Forgotten New York City

by csordila Written Apr 2, 2010

City Hall Subway Station - Old postcard

Favorite thing: Many subway stations in New York City are no longer used for their original purpose. and were closed long ago. However, some of them are architectural marvels that give a glimpse into the past of the city.
    One of them is the City Hall ghost station, which is probably the world's most beautiful former subway station. It has been closed to the public since 1945. It was opened again for a while and serves as scene of fine art events, fashion shows, exhibitions.

Address: Park Row and City Hall Park

• Architecture

• JOCAPEXA's Profile Photo

Just returned from a week in New York with my wife

by JOCAPEXA Written May 4, 2009

Favorite thing: Just returned from a week in New York with my wife. See what we liked and disliked!

We liked:
    1. Our hotel and its location(The Carlton Hotel at Madison Avenue). In fact we loved it!
    2. The proximity to the 5th Avenue and subway (green line 1 block away and 2 other lines 5-10 m away)
    3. We enjoyed the hop on and hop off bus tour. It was really worth it!
    4. We liked the reasonable priced deli for breakfast next to our hotel (corner of 5th Avenue and 28th street);
    5. We had fun in the ferry to Staten Island and see the statue of liberty. It was our moment of relief, this where we spent 1 hour wihtout spending money!
    6. We loved the diner cruise, it was really amazing the see the city by night;
    7. We liked the Sex and the City tour. It was quite hilarious, at least we had a good laugh and the guide was real good.
    8. We had a spectacular view at the Rockfeller center, we had the chance to see the sunset and the lightning up of the city;
    9. We liked the GreenVillage area and the Upper East Side next to Central Park.
    10. The shopping was fine, a lot of places to spend money. You don't really feel the recession in New York!!

What we disliked:
    1. We hated the tip or gratuity culture in the USA. it's simply horrible, such a huge pressure to have always 1-2 bucks in your hand to tip anyone!
    2. we disliked the service in some restaurants, but still we had to tip 15 - 18%, we were simply afraid to be embarrassed by the waiter or the person serving us!
    3. We really hated when we visited the well know terrace bar at the 230 5th Avenue (where you can have a spectacular view of the city and the Empire State building) when the waiter asked us for our credit card to be kept in her hands. When I asked what for, she said that there was too many people and basically she was afraid we would runaway with paying. If they din't trust the customers, why we should trust them? of course I refused and instead I paid straight away. Never seen such situation before. The food was horrible and of course we still gave a tip. Again we were afraid to be pointed out in front of so many people!
    4. We disliked the breakfast at our hotel, too expensive and hardly nothing too eat;
    5. We didn't particular liked Chinatown, it was too chaotic!
    6. We disliked the transport from the airport to the hotel. We booked with Airlink, we had to wait more than 30 m to leave and the driver was rather nuts in terms of driving. The way back to the airport was better, despite the van was 10 minutes late;

• Cruise

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Some typical prices

by toonsarah Written Nov 13, 2008

Best bargain in the city!

Favorite thing: When we were there, in September 2008, I noted the following prices for some typical tourist purchases:
    Subway or bus ride: $2
    Postage to Europe: 94c
    Postcards: six for $1 up to $1 each, depending on quality
    Cappuccino: $3 - £4
    Bottled beer (in a bar): $5 - $7
    Bottled water (from a drinks stand): $2 - $3 for 700 ml
    Sandwich in a deli: $5 - $10
    Main course in a good restaurant: $15 - $25 and up, depending on choice
    Staten Island Ferry: free!

• a5floor's Profile Photo

by a5floor Written Sep 6, 2008
    Steamy streets.

Favorite thing: While walking through NYC, you will notice that there will be steam coming out of the streets. This steam is coming from under the ground. The Subway needs to cool down. Water is cooling it down. When cold meets hot....

• Jenniwa's Profile Photo

Use the Subway

by Jenniwa Updated Feb 22, 2007

Favorite thing: If you're in NYC just use the subway to get to all the places you want to see - it's easy (there are always Subway stations and signs to find them) and it's cheap ( $2 a ride - they also have special tickets for which you pay $10 and get another free ride with it)! Most of the sights in your trvael guide will also show which subway line to take best - so it's easy to find your way around!

• Study Abroad

• safe subway

by snowportal Written Feb 21, 2007

Favorite thing: the subway is safe everyone on tv says its scary ....vancouver bc canada's skytrainplat forms r more violent.

Fondest memory: shopping. thats about it. only because i'm into the quiet country side, wilderness, lonesome sport thing .
    if i had tonnes of money it'd probly be real fun. but you have to go once to see.

• Study Abroad

• L_stGrrlDi_s's Profile Photo

Feeling Safe

by L_stGrrlDi_s Written Jan 10, 2006

Favorite thing: While I was in NYC I never felt afraid. I know there are a lot of assumptions people make about travelling around Manhattan and being a tourist, however I feel they simply arent true. Everyone was very nice. I was a female travelling alone. People gave me great directions. i was a typical tourist. I had my back pack on, two cameras around my neck and a map of the subway/manhattan island stretched out in front o fme virtually the whole time I was walking aroudn the city. No one was cruel, no one harrassed me and I never got robbed or felt unsafe. On virtually every intersection in the city there was at least one police officer. Outside of most upscale hotels there were several police officers outside. On every major intersection there was a police officer at every corner. There were two Hazmat crews set up in Time Square. I felt safer in NYC then I do most of the time at home.

• madamx's Profile Photo

The Rythm of the City

by madamx Updated Oct 30, 2005

Japanese Theatre Troupe in Union Square

Favorite thing: One of the things I loved about New York was there was life everywhere, be it musicians, street performers, street art, or the beautiful architecture. There would be musicians getting onto subway cars (much to the disgust I noticed registered on some New Yorker's faces) for a short ride and entertaining us, colorful artwork tiles in the subway stations, performances put on in parks by buskers good or bad, or the serendipity of walking by a spectacular art deco lobby. This city is so alive!

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Subway Mosaics

by TexasDave Updated Apr 1, 2005

Delancy St. Station

Favorite thing: When using the city's subway system take time to notice the variety of mosaics in the different platforms. Some are originals and others have been installed recently. Many highlight the uinque features of the neighborhood above the station, as in the picture here of Delancy St. Station, near the old Fulton St. Fish Market.
    Canal St. (near Chinatown) also has some interesting mosaic work.
    Even the smaller signs indicating the station name can be very intricate.
    This is just a little freebie that can add to your overall NYC visit.

• bambi1825's Profile Photo

New York City is Awesome

by bambi1825 Written Feb 21, 2005

Favorite thing: Everyone said to be careful when we went but I felt very safe there. The people that live in New York City are very friendly and also very helpful. The ones that are SO RUDE are the tourists. They push and shove and don't know the words excuse me. I got so much help from people in the subway when I didn't know which one to get on. The subway was great and we used it a lot the first time. I recommend walking as much as you can. We walked everywhere and saw so much. One thing that we were all dissappointed in was the Empire State Building. We had 2 kids with us and waited for hours to get in and then you have to keep waiting in line, You go up some floors an wait more. By the time you get out there it's just not worth it at all, then to get back down takes forever, we were SO disappointed and won't do that again. I loved shopping and just window shopping at everything. We ate at Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, and other small little cafes. Time Square is so awesome. I love New York City!

Fondest memory: We tried the Today Show and got in line at 5:30 am with 2 little kids, We got in and were pushed and shoved by people. Some lady pushed her daughter up in to us to try to get closer and it was just so uncomfortable. Eric LaStrata was there and I touched his arm and he shook my brother's hand. He is really hot! We then left because it was so uncomfortable. We went back to our hotel and put the Today Show on and there was the lady in front of us, they showed her a few times so we were upset, if we would have stayed we would have been on tv, oh well ;)

• Best way to travel in that huge city

by mehbos37 Written Apr 8, 2004

New York Metro

Favorite thing: The subway system of New York is very well organized and very user friendly..
    If you stay for a week , first thing I advise you is to buy a weekly metrocard which will cost you 21$ and believe me,it it the best way to get around..
    However, some local friends still warns not to take subway after 11 p.m.

• Singles
    • Business Travel

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

The sound of New York

by sarahandgareth Written Jun 19, 2003

Fondest memory: When you first arrive in New York, you’re likely to be overwhelmed by the constant noise, day and night. The streets are always busy with traffic, and since your hotel or apartment is probably overlooking one of those streets, you get to hear every car and truck whiz by. The police and fire put their sirens on at all times of the day and night (in plenty of other cities, the emergency services would be a lot quieter at three in the morning!) – even if they’re only going back to the station. In the daytime, there’s the constant hubbub of people, chattering to each other or into their cellphones. In some places, you can hear the subway zipping by beneath you. And somewhere there’s always construction going on. Put it all together and you’ll probably be driven crazy for the first few days or weeks. But you’ll get used to it, like anything else, and when we left New York and moved to Medford, we found it eerily quiet the whole time, especially at night, until we realized that this is what normal life is like again!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

WE MAKE THE BIG APPLE FEEL A LITTLE SMALLER..

by eden_teuling Written Mar 30, 2003

THE BIG APPLE

Favorite thing: When you visit New York City, there's one sure way to find a friendly face and helping hand. just call BIG APPLE GREETER.

They are an organization of enthousiastic New Yorkers who volunteer time to share the city they love with visitors.

Your personal greeter will show you everything from how to use the SUBWAY to favourite neighbourhood haunts, answering your questions and opening your eyes to all NEW YORK has to offer.

And....BIG APPLE GREETER welcomes visitors absolutely free of charge.

So....to see New York through the eyes of a native, call BIG APPLE GREETER at

(212) 669 2896

Fondest memory: address: 1 Centre street New York, NY 1007

tel. 212 669 8273

BIG APPLE GREETER DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE BASED ON RACE, GENDER, RELIGION, NATIONALITY, AGE, SEXUAL PERSUASION OR DISABILITY !

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

TOKENS......

by eden_teuling Written Mar 29, 2003

TOKENS NEW YORK INFO

Favorite thing: Buy tokens for Subway and buses in advance at one of the stations.

They are cheaper per 10.....

Put them in a safe place........

Fondest memory: dive under groun and emerge in a complete different area......there to be explored....

• bottleofdoom's Profile Photo

Ride the subway

by bottleofdoom Updated Mar 1, 2003

Don on train

Favorite thing: What trip would be complete without riding the NYC subway. We rode it to Coney Island which took us about an hour because we had to keep switching trains. Different trains run at different hours during the weekday as compared to the weekend. Since this was Wednesday afternoon, we had to transfer several times. There are maps at the stations that you can look at before you buy your ticket. It looks daunting at first, but it's actually quite easy once you know where you're going. It's also helpful to get a map before you go to the station. Marjorie had plenty of maps for us at the apartment. Once you figure out which trains to take, study the ticket options because there are different passes to suit your needs. Then hop on your train and and let NYC do the driving!

Fondest memory: You get to see neighborhoods of NYC.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels