Subway, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Best bargain in the city!
    by toonsarah
    Relaxing with a beer
    by toonsarah
    Steamy streets.
    by a5floor
  • L_stGrrlDi_s's Profile Photo

Feeling Safe

by L_stGrrlDi_s Written Jan 10, 2006

Favorite thing: While I was in NYC I never felt afraid. I know there are a lot of assumptions people make about travelling around Manhattan and being a tourist, however I feel they simply arent true. Everyone was very nice. I was a female travelling alone. People gave me great directions. i was a typical tourist. I had my back pack on, two cameras around my neck and a map of the subway/manhattan island stretched out in front o fme virtually the whole time I was walking aroudn the city. No one was cruel, no one harrassed me and I never got robbed or felt unsafe. On virtually every intersection in the city there was at least one police officer. Outside of most upscale hotels there were several police officers outside. On every major intersection there was a police officer at every corner. There were two Hazmat crews set up in Time Square. I felt safer in NYC then I do most of the time at home.

• bambi1825's Profile Photo

New York City is Awesome

by bambi1825 Written Feb 21, 2005

Favorite thing: Everyone said to be careful when we went but I felt very safe there. The people that live in New York City are very friendly and also very helpful. The ones that are SO RUDE are the tourists. They push and shove and don't know the words excuse me. I got so much help from people in the subway when I didn't know which one to get on. The subway was great and we used it a lot the first time. I recommend walking as much as you can. We walked everywhere and saw so much. One thing that we were all dissappointed in was the Empire State Building. We had 2 kids with us and waited for hours to get in and then you have to keep waiting in line, You go up some floors an wait more. By the time you get out there it's just not worth it at all, then to get back down takes forever, we were SO disappointed and won't do that again. I loved shopping and just window shopping at everything. We ate at Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, and other small little cafes. Time Square is so awesome. I love New York City!

Fondest memory: We tried the Today Show and got in line at 5:30 am with 2 little kids, We got in and were pushed and shoved by people. Some lady pushed her daughter up in to us to try to get closer and it was just so uncomfortable. Eric LaStrata was there and I touched his arm and he shook my brother's hand. He is really hot! We then left because it was so uncomfortable. We went back to our hotel and put the Today Show on and there was the lady in front of us, they showed her a few times so we were upset, if we would have stayed we would have been on tv, oh well ;)

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

The sound of New York

by sarahandgareth Written Jun 19, 2003

Fondest memory: When you first arrive in New York, you’re likely to be overwhelmed by the constant noise, day and night. The streets are always busy with traffic, and since your hotel or apartment is probably overlooking one of those streets, you get to hear every car and truck whiz by. The police and fire put their sirens on at all times of the day and night (in plenty of other cities, the emergency services would be a lot quieter at three in the morning!) – even if they’re only going back to the station. In the daytime, there’s the constant hubbub of people, chattering to each other or into their cellphones. In some places, you can hear the subway zipping by beneath you. And somewhere there’s always construction going on. Put it all together and you’ll probably be driven crazy for the first few days or weeks. But you’ll get used to it, like anything else, and when we left New York and moved to Medford, we found it eerily quiet the whole time, especially at night, until we realized that this is what normal life is like again!

• meenmo's Profile Photo

Crossroads of the World

by meenmo Written Sep 30, 2002
    The Statue of Liberty

Favorite thing: I would say, the most important thing will be New York City's transportations system. Its the backbone of the city. I will deffinately bring my guest to ride the Subway no matter for near or far distances its worth the experience. But, I cannot say its 100% falseless, as at times when I'm in a hurry they were technical and very impunctual problems day or night. And the sad thing is the city's gonna raise the fare soon which I find it unfair as they should improve the ammenities and service first.

Fondest memory: I would miss the Sceneries of the city's skyline, bridges, streets, buildings and of course people from all nations.

• joits's Profile Photo

Keep your eyes open

by joits Written Mar 22, 2006

Nice...

Favorite thing: When you are on the subway and you're above ground... pay attention to the scenery. You might come across some interesting things. If you look at my picture for this tip, you can see what I mean!

• tampabay's Profile Photo

The Subway system is generally...

by tampabay Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The Subway system is generally safe during the day, This was at the American Museum of Natural History stop...

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels