Times Square, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Times Square
  • Norel's Profile Photo

NEW YORK , NEW YORK!!!

by Norel Updated Jan 15, 2003

New York

Favorite thing: You have to go to TIMES SQUARE at night!!..
    It's BEAUTIFUL and exciting!, to Central Park which is the biggest (not sure if it's the only!) park in Manhattan, to the Empire State, Ellis Island, Statu of Liberty of course, Broadway, SOOO many things!! you'll never get bored!

Fondest memory: In NYC there is people from everywhere... i think that's what i miss the most.. meeting so many different people every single day and learning a part their cultures. All in the same spot.

• asturnut's Profile Photo

Soooo many choices

by asturnut Written Sep 19, 2002

Favorite thing: New York has so much to offer, don't go with too many preconcieved notions of what you think you may or may not see while you are there. Of course there are some things you can't miss: a Broadway show, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Beyond that, be flexible! There is absolutely something for everyone in New York, in fact the choices can be a little overwhelming.

Fondest memory: My favorite memory of New York, of course involves food. The last time we were in the city rehearsing for our show at Carnegie Hall, we went to the Times Sqaure area for lunch. I went to this amazing eatery that had like 6 stations, each selling different kinds of cusine. All in one deli I could have had sushi, thai, jewish, etc. It was great! The food was cheap and the selection left me salivating! Too bad I can't remember the name-- but in New York it doesn't matter, because you can always find something you like.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Times Square and Broadway

by Carmela71 Updated Sep 5, 2002

Crowded streets

Favorite thing: Times Square is the heart of the Theater District!

Broadway is a wide avenue that runs the entire length of Manhattan Island in New York City. It passes through the middle of the Theater district concentrated around Times Square and has lent its name to those spectacular musical productions known as the Broadway play.

Fondest memory: Times Square es el Corazón del Distrito Teatral

Broadway es una gran avenida que corre por todo lo largo de la Isla de Manhattan. Se encuentra en medio del distrito teatral, concentrado alrededor de Times Square y ha prestado su nombre a varias producciones musicales espectaculares conocidas como la obra de Broadway.

• katie_park's Profile Photo

it is certain that almost all...

by katie_park Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: it is certain that almost all tourists in new york are likely to spend hours wondering time square for shopping or some reasons...i've been to NY 3 times--first time, i surely looked around as a member of group-and as the only asian, and second time, i visited there for orientation prior to working at Pats Peak, a ski area in NH. Third one was on my way home from NH... at that time, i unpacked my luggages in the Edison Hotel nearby time square, and just spent the last night all by myself wondering around for some hours... in fact, i got pretty accustomed to the direction and the atmosphere which make people so excited...

Fondest memory: huge signs for advertisements may overwhelm bypassers, though, you will never get bored as you look up and enjoy figuring out what those stand for, advertise... some are quite amazing and creative...
    i wish i had such a talent so that i could decorate my house with awesome stuffs!

• ronco4704's Profile Photo

Hang out around Time Square,...

by ronco4704 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Hang out around Time Square, just to watch the people. Ride the subways. Very safe during regular hours. I pick up a subway map at the ticket booth. If I look at it while riding the train I always have New Yorkers asking for directions. Great way to meet people casually.

Fondest memory: The theater (when I can afford it). I have never seen a really bad show, and a lot of really great shows over the last 15 years.

• IslandGirl10's Profile Photo

The last time I was there, I...

by IslandGirl10 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: The last time I was there, I totally enjoyed going to Total Request Live. Even though we were too 'mature' to be asked in, we enjoyed hanging outside with the crowd! The kids were very accepting of us and we really had a great time! The shot to the left is one that my daughter took on our computer with the snappy of my friend and I standing outside.....I am the one with the license plate that says L10JOHN....yes (everyone always asks:) it IS my real plate from my vehicle and my best friend Jodi is right beside me to my left!

Fondest memory: There are times that I like quiet, but for the most part I really like the lively city. New York City is definitely LIVELY!! I think that is a fun place to visit. I hope to see even more the next time that we go up.

• yumi53's Profile Photo

'Time Square' is a must, I bet...

by yumi53 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: 'Time Square' is a must, I bet everyone knew that. Shining lights full of both sides of streets, all kinds of people walking around you, American, South American, Asian, European, like whole world in this city.

Fondest memory: I think I just enjoyed EVERY SINGLE MOMENT in NY, so if you want to ask me what's my favorite memory...mmm...I would answer you, NO ANSWER, just being there, I would get happy anyway.:)

• kuuunmg's Profile Photo

Most of Manhattan is extremely...

by kuuunmg Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Most of Manhattan is extremely easy to navigate, thanks to a grid system of named or numbered avenues running the north-south length of the island, cut across by numbered streets that run from east to west. Above Washington Square, Fifth Ave and Central Park serve as the dividing line between the East Side and the West Side. Cross-street numbers begin at Fifth Ave and grow higher toward each river, generally (but not exclusively) in 100-digit increments per block. Therefore, the Hard Rock Cafe, at 221 W 57th St, is slightly less than three blocks west of Fifth Ave. Broadway, the only avenue to cut diagonally across the island, was originally a woodland path; it runs in some form from the southern tip of the island all the way to the state capital of Albany, 150 miles (240km) away.

Craning your neck amongst the skyscrapers of Manhattan, it's easy to forget that islands make up most of New York City's 309 sq mi (800 sq km) land mass. Manhattan and Staten Island stand alone; Queens and Brooklyn comprise the western end of Long Island. Only the Bronx is connected to the continental mainland. The water gap between Brooklyn and Staten Island - the 'narrows' through which the first Europeans entered the area - serves as the entrance to New York Harbor, which is also accessible to ships from the north via Long Island Sound. Manhattan is bordered on the west by the Hudson River and on the east by the East River, both technically estuaries subject to tidal fluctuations.

There are three major airports in the New York area: John F Kennedy (JFK), 15 miles (24km) southeast of midtown Manhattan; La Guardia, 8 miles (13km) east of Manhattan; and Newark 10 miles (16km) west of Manhattan in New Jersey.

Fondest memory: MTV has studios at Times Square and you see mobs of fans lined up cheering for their favorites stars when they're interviewed here.

• Because the Big Apple is so...

by Sanet Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Because the Big Apple is so overwhelming at first I will definately recommend a hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour of the city as well as a circle line cruise to get yourself orientated

Fondest memory: Time Square at night! The atmosphere is something you cannot describe. Thousands of people just everywhere with lights all around. Really an amazing sight.

• Go to Times Square. I was...

by Aphrodite21 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Go to Times Square. I was standing right in the middle of it all one night looking at the lights, the billboards, the people, the yellow taxis zooming by me........WOW!! It was absolutely unreal. I felt like I was watching a movie.

Fondest memory: We went out one night with some guys and one of them had a friend who owned a limo company. We ran into him that night and we were peering into the windows looking inside the limo when all of a sudden the driver said that we could get in for a bit and he'd drive us around. All I could think of during that time was that I was in a limo in New York. I couldn't believe it. Unreal!! I felt really important that night.

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo

BorderHopper's General Tip

by BorderHopper Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Times Square before the new century....
    Fact is I never expected the Big Apple to be what it was...it is a true cosmopolitan and not many cities can live up to the reputaion of NYC.
    Being rom the west coast of the US I always considerd New York a rival and I really had no desire to go there...but after having experienced for myself it really was one of the most interesting places I've ever visited...fascinating! Standing among the chaos of Times Square s just as impressive as standing among the pyramids of Egypt.

• watch the New Yorkers at work...

by Pegasus74 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: watch the New Yorkers at work and at play. You may be too engrossed in exploring the world famous attractions but there is always something more interesting happening in NYC - A capella performances in subway stations, acrobatic breakdance along avenues, brilliant musicians seeking their lost souls, and artists demonstrating their artistic skills. I've seen all happening in the metropolis. So NYC's entertainment not only encompasses an extravaganza of musical shows in Broadway and everyday MTV Top 10 countdown in Times Square, but also include those often discreditable rest.

No visit to NYC would be complete without gandering at the entire Manhattan from the 86th or 102th storey of the Empire State Building. If you're going to date someone, not necessary from Seattle, that's perhaps the most perfect rendezvous. The sunset view from the top was lovely; the west side foreground would be beautifully silhouetted, with the Hudson separating Manhattan and New Jersey. And after dusk, the aglowed skyscrapers en masse were truly a feast for the eyes.

The copper green Lady Liberty is perhaps the most distinctive icon of USA to the world. Her crown is reacheable via a spiral and creepy flight of stairways that connects from her feet. It was quite a silly decision to go up there, after realizing I had been in line for over 2 hrs to see only peepholes for seconds. The Liberty Island is accessible only by ferry service from Battery Park in Lower Manhattan or Liberty State Park in Jersey City. The panorama of Manhattan is best captured from the Liberty Island or on ferry, so is the independent lady.

From Battery Park, the Wall Street's Financial District is only couple streets away. Dominated by walls of towering skyscrapers, mostly banks, it is an epicenter of stock exchange activities, specifically at the New York Stock Exchange. Nonetheless, I'm still wondering what those wild gesturing is all about. In the close vicinity, a statue of George Washington stands in front of the Federal Hall National Memorial, commemorating the location where George Washington was inaugurated as the first president. Overlooking the everyday activities happening at the Stock Exchange, perhaps only he understands what's the best play of everyday.

Going east along Wall Street and north on Pearl Street, you will hit Fulton Street, where to its extreme right end is the South Street Seaport. The seaside region is represented by a huge historic ship and is populated with exhibition galleries, street vendors, cafes, souvenir shops and restaurants. This is where you can best capture a spectacular panoranic shot of the Brooklyn Bridge.

I'd really like to be walking on the historic Brooklyn Bridge again. I remembered the morning urban walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan is one of the most refreshing I've ever had. The backdrop of the cable mesh that suspends the bridge is the gorgeous collection of Manhattan skyscapers. And every corner is apparently a virtual small magnet attraction to my eye. This, I recalled makes me drift very often from the pedestrian to the cyclist pathway. The Brooklyn end can be reached by subway from Manhattan to High St. station.

A whole world by itself, Chinatown is located at the lower east side of Manhattan. I had wanted to totally avoid the human traffic in that area but still I swung by, for couple reasons - to eat authentic Chinese food inexpensively and shop for a TAG HEUER watch which costs me only 10 bucks. You bet it's still working. Little Italy is just north of Chinatown. The cafe waiters along the italian street seem to relentlessly beg passer-bys to sit for awhile and taste their array of home-made delectables. While it may not be what you'll get in Italy, they've got pretty good enough varieties.

Among the many museums found in NYC, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET) should be the most worthy of praise. It houses an impressive collection of works which include paintings, sculptures, antiquities and handicrafts from all over the world. And it's one of such you can spend your entire day scrutinizing the beauty of every art piece.

What's worth mentioning is the Flatiron Building which probably is the most impressive Renaissance architecture in NYC. Shaped like a wedge of pie, it perfectly marks the intersection at the Y-junction formed by Broadway and Fifth Avenue. I have yet to figure out what business is going on in the building.

This Big Apple is genuinely crunchy. Composed of fascinating myriad sights and sounds, it is no doubt one of the best cities in the world. Whether you're on the theatrical Broadway or the most photographed Times Square, the ambience is enough to convince you that your trip planning is well worth your while.

• zeelie's Profile Photo

Time SquareThe Times Square...

by zeelie Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Time Square
    The Times Square was named after the New York Times tower in 1904. With the new subways, thousands of commuters came to the 42nd street to watch the Broadway shows, and the entire area flourished to become a Theater District.

The annual New Year's Eve ball dropping event was a tradition that started with the Times celebrating its move in with a huge fire display and the dropping of an illuminated ball.

Check up the Times Square official website for the latest info:

• leigthM's Profile Photo

Hang out in Times Square....

by leigthM Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Hang out in Times Square. After you hit all the shops and restaraunts and take all your pictures of the ad's just stand on the island that splits Broadway at 43rd street and watch it all happen!! And check out the HOT cops!!!

Fondest memory: My favorite thing was just walking around with my best friend, bundled up as much as we could be since it was 9 degrees and stopping in Starbucks every couple blocks to get warm. I always miss the subways!!! I miss not having to drive everyday, and just people watching and seeing how different we all are.

• miaou's Profile Photo

miaou's General Tip

by miaou Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: Let's admit it: New York City is intense! Dazzling neon lights flash at Times Sqaure; the theaters are world class; the museums have a collection Sotheby's and Christie drool for; the nightlife reaches till dawn; the locals have an air of confidence that seems impenetrable and above all she proved to be one of the earliest cities to embrace multicultural harmony.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels