Walking, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Another flowerbed sign
    by toonsarah
    Flowerbed sign (by Chris)
    Confused?
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

there is more to NYC than sights

by richiecdisc Written May 24, 2010

David & I at DBA in 2002

Fondest memory: We got to Central Park and decided to bail on the Metropolitan Art Museum. Doreen really had wanted to see it and I had not been there in twenty years but we both had to admit on a day as glorious as this, it would be a waste to spend it indoors. We enjoyed the park enormously. I'm not sure I ever actually spent any time in it before. It was so nice we walked about 100 blocks all the way to the bottom of the Village. Once there, David called and said he was leaving work early to meet us which suited us just fine. We went to local beer emporium DBA for happy hour and there was no more talk about 911. Much as New York had moved on though certainly not forgotten it, David was ready to so the same for our afternoon bull session. It was a good one and reminded me why I had missed many of the sights in this great city over the years. As amazing as the city is, it is perhaps its people that truly set it apart from all others. I was glad to call one of them my friend.

• Beer Tasting

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Quirky signs

by toonsarah Written Nov 13, 2008

Sign in a gallery window (by Chris)

Fondest memory: One of the things we really enjoyed in New York was spotting the quirky and humorous signs dotted around the city. When New Yorkers need to issue an instruction or warning they seem to like to sugar the pill with a liberal dose of humour. Among those we spotted were several aimed at preventing dogs using the flowerbeds as toilets (for obvious reasons) and this popular one warning that children shouldn’t be allowed unaccompanied into a shop – how much pleasanter than a simple “don’t” this is!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Walk-or get on a bus or subway

by BruceDunning Written Nov 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Tio get around extended parts of town, take a combination of bus and/or underground subway. The mode of transportation is what all the locals use to navigate to places. We hit the street walking for a lot, in order to see it from eye level.

Fondest memory: The busy environment and the ongoing struggle to keep it all going daily as a routine.

• SoulFlower69's Profile Photo

$40 a night in the middle of Manhattan

by SoulFlower69 Written Sep 21, 2007
    The genius MATH ANALYST who lived at the Hostel

Favorite thing: I stayed in Manhattan, NY for one month and LOOOVVVEEDD ITTT! This was my first time to New York, and what more of a fabulous way to learn about the city and culture than spending 30 days in a city with the BEST DAMN PIZZA IN THE WORLD! My favorite thing about NYC was the fact that I stayed in a hostel with people from all over the WORLD. The regulars there was cool, and I will never forget the stories that I heard. I did almost have to beat a *** down on the corner of Lexington and 23rd for being rude. Sometimes NYC peeps do get a little jazzy at the mouth, but when you let them know to back UP..they usually do. LADIES, LADIES, LADIES..THE MEN...TOP NOTCH! I met beautiful men from all backgrounds, cultures, etc..and they ALL treated me like a QUEEN! Also being a VEGAN is a mainstay in NYC. Every restuarant has something for US!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of New York City is the METRO RAIL. The transit system is the best damn transit system in the WORLD. I even was brave enough to travel on the system at late hours at night by myself, and made it back to the hostel in one piece! My 2nd fondest memory would have to be Mike's pizza located between E. 24th and 3rd Ave. They had the best damn VEGGIE PIZZA in the world. Thanks for the discounts when my $$$ got a little tight towards the end of my stay!

I remember my stay at the hostel on E. 24th street and being able to hear the personal conversations on the streets below, even the fight between a man caught cheating on his girlfriend and the "big scene" at 3 in the morning.

FASHION..FASHION...FASHION...I loved it! I saw fly ladies in couture and men dressed to the 9's. All walking. That is the most important thing about NYC...you WALK EVERYWHERE. The exercise, the sights, sounds, the accents, all make this city a MUST SEE!

• Business Travel
    • Music

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Strange things seen on New York streets

by Martin_S. Written Jan 3, 2007

8 seater bicycle, NY, NY, USA

Favorite thing: Take a look at this picture, an 8 seater bicycle...I know how hard it is to ride a tandem bike with only TWO people....now I wonder who decides which way to turn, or even who gives the turn signal ???

• Cycling

• CandS's Profile Photo

Walk!

by CandS Written Jan 25, 2006

New York City skyline

Favorite thing: Make sure that you spend some time just walking around New York City...it's a beautiful city to walk around and see the amazing buildings, beautiful streets and pretty parks. We spent hours walking around and seeing as much as we could... :)

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• madamx's Profile Photo

Relax, New Yorkers are Nice!

by madamx Updated Oct 28, 2005

Central Park lamp post

Fondest memory: New Yorkers are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. I was expecting to be barked and growled at, but that was not the case at all. Even when given a sarcastic comment it was always done with a wink and a sly grin.

I have so many memories of kind New Yorkers: The man who took the time to walk us to the right subway station; the ladies who helped me pick up loose change that spilled accidently out of my wallet; the waiter at our tea at the St. Regis who kept bringing us little "extras"; the spontaneous conversations struck up at street corners and in subway cars; the worker at the Whole Foods store who walked me right across the store to make sure I found the cold drinks ok. One time we were asking directions from a woman on the street, and she didn't know, so she stopped someone else on the street to ask them!

Western Canadians are known for their friendliness, though I think the New Yorkers have us beat, hands down.

• J.I.M's Profile Photo

Crossing the Roads of New York!

by J.I.M Written Jan 22, 2005

Roads

Favorite thing: In New York City I found that crossing the roads was quite strange, because often, when the sign said "Walk" there would still be cars going straight across, almost hitting me! You can't quite see it in the photo, but the sign says "walk" and yet that car is pulling straight out into the road.
    I don't know, maybe I'm too used to stricter British roads, but it's something to watch out for if you visit New York!

• Hiking and Walking

• Gage17's Profile Photo

Walkabout

by Gage17 Written Jan 16, 2005

Take the time to see the city in a new way

Favorite thing: Please take the time to walk around the city... not just from one sight to another but just aimless wandering. Choose a district like the Village or the Upper East Side and go exploring... you won't be disappointed. There is so much to discover in New York City that it would take a lifetime to uncover them all... but the fun is in the trying!

• mrdarius's Profile Photo

Walk this way

by mrdarius Written Jun 25, 2003
    NY Stocking Exchange 50% off the entire store!

Favorite thing: I was inspired by Black_I_Purl's tips on walking in NYC and wanted to add one of my own. It is that the best way to get from point A to point B in NYC is decidedly not a straight line. You should always walk uptown or downtown until you hit a don't walk sign, and then turn right or left to go crosstown. The exception being, of course, if you don't need to do both cross and up or down together. But if you do, then this is the way it should be done. : )

• Keep it Moving!

by agroshong Written Oct 23, 2002

Favorite thing: Sometimes as tourists, it is easy to forget our usual behavior and to stop & stare or find ourselves fumbling for something.

Often a complaint by visitors of New Yorkers is that they are unhelpful or unfriendly to tourists. It is simply a matter of timing. New Yorkers are incredibly proud of their city & are willing to assist travelers under the right circumstances. They are masters of their domain, but just look at the pace they move through it!

New Yorkers who are on the move generally have a very distinct destination in mind & a routine commute to that location. A New Yorker on the move generally will care if you try to keep them from their destination with even the smallest delay. To avoid the delay, it is considered the most polite by New Yorkers to simply not acknowledge you. Besides, you are a stranger & everyone is always a bit cautious about a stranger approaching them.

But there are many other New Yorkers available to the lost and befuddled visitor. Remember this is a largely pedestrian city, so the natives are very familiar with how to get from point A to B. If you must resort to asking someone on the street, try to find someone lounging in a park or on a bench. Asking people at the subway platform between trains can also prove helpful. Small store owners are also familiar with their neighborhoods!

Most of all, try to stay moving! If you are in a crowded area (sidewalk, subway platform, or other pedestrian area) & need to stop, try to make your way to the nearest wall. This takes you out of the main flow of traffic & gives you a good vantage point to recollect your senses. This helps you avoid the ever-prowling pickpocket or being walked over by a busy New Yorker.

To help identify someone who may be willing to assist, watch their body language. Select people who seem to be relaxing and are not engrossed with an activity. Be gracious, courteous, & if you start to feel uncomfortable, do not hesitate to remove yourself from the situation.

• Walk as much as your feet let...

by stavrianna Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: Walk as much as your feet let you. Visit as many museums as you can, the best art works from all over the world are in the NY museums. Keep in mind that the majority of the museums need more than 6 hours just to see the basics. The Metropolitan takes more than 2 days!!!

Fondest memory: The 'Bar 87' bbq chicken wings and caipirina with candy bar!!!

• orke's Profile Photo

go to adirondack - great...

by orke Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: go to adirondack - great reservation upstate ny - alot of lakes there (mirror lake and more ) that u can rent boats and have fun , alot of trails (ausable chasem - u walk over a canyon and u can also join a rafting group at the end)
    beautifull place

• choberygoo's Profile Photo

NYC has some ***ty sidewalks...

by choberygoo Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: NYC has some ***ty sidewalks that are broken, uneven, and soiled. It is almost as bad as sidewalks in some parts of Taiwan. I have an inexplicable fondness of good sidewalks. Japan, for that reason, makes my mouth water. This pictures shows the best part of sidewalk pavements in the NYC. I could just keep staring at it for a long time. It's found in the Rockerfella Center, which is another orgasmic work of architecture and planning.

• Zoe_bcn's Profile Photo

There are a lot of places and...

by Zoe_bcn Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: There are a lot of places and things to visit and do in New York. You need more than 15 days to stay there. I only stayed 6 days and were not enough...

I like just walk around the city and admire the buildings, the people, and breathe the atmosphere of this great city....

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels