Big Apple Greeters, New York City

• davequ's Profile Photo

Big Apple Greeters

by davequ Updated Jul 29, 2007

The best of NY free

A NY lady popped into the vt forum & was generously giving advice about NYC.
    She is a "Big Apple Greeter" who volunteers her time as a free public service to people visiting NYC.

To paraphrase their website, Betty & other Big Apple Greeters are "New Yorkers who show their pride in the city & its many neighborhoods, and give something back to the city they love. .."

and that is exactly what they do.
    Expert tour guides to enrich any visitors experience in the city.

I had unexpected guests on my NYC vacation and got busier (in a fun way) than I had expected.
    But BAG sent me an email, called me on my cell phone, and best of all invited me, my friend, and some of their guests to a dinner at Carmines Italian restaurant on upper west side @ 91rst & Broadway. I was going to skip Carmine's as it specializes in big portions / family style which is not good for solo traveling, but this was perfect.

Thanks to the kindness & generosity of the BAgreeters we had a fun dinner.I was introduced to another perfectly "NY" lady with imo much style & class (another greeter) at that dinner, whom we bumped into the next day at a park fountain. She was again generously and knowledgeably showing some clients from another country around the city. I kid her that she looks like Barbara Streisand (she did ... a compliment) .... and to me she personifies the essence & style of what a NYC lady should be. Thanks 2U, Big Apple Greeters, for everything..According to Betty you need to reserve possibly weeks/months in advance at the website as they are a very popular resource in the city as they should be. Whoever thought up Big Apple Greeters was a PR genius.

Big Apple Greeters is a free non-profit service that you can help by visiting here:
    BAG Support

Highly recommended (and appreciated).

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels