Broadway & Shows, New York City

Know about this? Rate It!

Broadway Dive
    by Mikebb
  • Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

"Smoke": All that Jazz

by Nathalie_B Updated Apr 4, 2011

Can you imagine that some performances were so good that I forgot to use my camera?
    I was lucky to see George Coleman playing sax, like God. It was such a great experience! I was hypnotized for an hour and a half, by the sounds of the Jazz music, played by the BEST!
    Smoke is a very small Jazz Club, so if you’d like to go there make sure you made a reservation.
    Needless to say that “Smoke” is a smoke free club, as every other place in New York ;-)

Dress Code: Wouldn't suggest to show up with jeans and sneakers, although they won't say anything about your outfit.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Broadway Dive: Beer and Baseball

by travelfrosch Updated Apr 25, 2008

Here's a nice place to relax and enjoy excellent baseball and beer (as well as whisky, wine, and just about any other libation you might care for). This narrow bar, distinctive by its neon "tavern" sign above its narrow frontage, offers some excellent-quality brews, as well as 5 HDTVs to enjoy various sporting events. When I was there, it was showing baseball games featuring the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox, as well as a basketball playoff game and English soccer match. I was watching the Red Sox game intently, while trying not to be obvious who I was rooting for. Apparently, I did not succeed, as the patrons were gleefully pointing out to me how the Yankees were winning. But the joke was on them: the Celtics won, and that was the most important thing this night.

The beer on tap rotates from week to week, but was quite impressive. When I visited, choices included Leffe Bruin and Hoegaarden, as well as several local microbrews. Not bad at all.

Dress Code: No dress code is enforced, though, as anywhere else in New York, you might want to avoid wearing Red Sox apparel.

Broadway Dive
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

The Streets & Lights: Broadway & Times Square

by Mikebb Written Aug 2, 2007

We went to Times Square on 3 evenings during our week in New York, the first night was specifically to see Times Square and it had a tremendous buzz, lights and people everywhere. We also dropped by after the evening performance of Chicago and were in the right frame of mind to party.

We never saw any trouble , but we never stayed much later than 11pm, however I did see a very strong police presence in the streets. This certainly is a priority attraction whilst in New York City.

Dress Code: Casual or formal, whatever you feel relaxed in.

Times Square, A World of Colour Times Square Times Square Night Lights of Times Square Times Square, Colour Everywhere

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

The Phantom of the Opera - Musical, Drama: The Phantom of the Opera - Musical, Drama

by jamiesno Updated Apr 22, 2007

The Phantom of the Opera is broadways longest running show and was the second one I have ever seen. My first was the Lord of the Rings in Toronto.

Winner of 7 1988 Tony Awards including Best Musical, The Phantom of the Opera is based on the novel by Gaston Leroux. It tells the story of the deformed Phantom who lurks beneath the stage of the Paris Opera, exercising a reign of terror over its occupants. The phantom falls in love with the young Soprano devoting himself to creating a new star for the Opera by nurturing her extraordinary talents and employing all the skills at his disposal.

The story is romantic, the cast and costumes are great. I sat up high at the Majestic Theatre and the tickets were $20 USD. The view from the top was fine and no problem seeing or hearing things really.

As a tip keep in mind if you are in a group that all the shows let out at the same time and the streets will be very busy after the show. You can see in one of my pictures to get the idea. At the end of our show cast members were accepting donations to help fight the aids epidemic.

I wa fortunate as well in that Andrew Lloyd Webber performed the show live on the night of my visit April 17, 2007.

Dress Code: Casual.

Phatom mask. Picture of Phatom cast. Crowds when the show ends. Majestic Theatre Majestic Theatre

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

TKTS Offices: Cheap Broadway Tickets

by sarahandgareth Updated Jul 31, 2006

Everyone knows that you can get reduced tickets for many on- and off-Broadway shows the day of the event at the TKTS outlet in Times Square. What most people don't know is that there is now another outlet down near South Street Seaport replacing the one lost in the World Trade Center attacks. We were there not too long ago and waited no more than 5 minutes. That's a big improvement on the hour plus you might have to wait in Times Square for the same ticket options. Not to mention that the new office opens at 11am as opposed to 3pm in Times Square.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Go to the theatre: See a show!

by CandS Updated Jun 4, 2006

It's really a obvious thing to do while in New York City but go and see a show at the theatre on Broadway. We got half price tickets (US$51.25 each) at the TKTS ticket booth in Times Square one day and that night we saw "The Producers" at St James Theatre on West 44th Street. It was really great and we enjoyed it a lot... :)

St James Theatre Times Square
    • Adventure Travel
    • Theater Travel

• PetraG's Profile Photo

Brodway by night: Pulsing Manhattan

by PetraG Written Mar 14, 2006

One famous stretch near Times Square, where Broadway crosses Seventh Avenue in midtown Manhattan, is the home of many Broadway theatres, housing an ever-changing array of commercial, large-scale plays, particularly musicals; this area of Manhattan is often called the Theater District. This part of Broadway, also known as the Great White Way, draws millions of tourists from around the world.
    Broadway theatre is often considered the highest professional form of theatre in the United States. Broadway theatre, or a Broadway show, refers to a performance (usually a play or musical) staged in one of the thirty-nine larger professional theatres located in New York City, with 500 seats or more, that appeal to the mass audience.

Broadway by night Times Square by night nightlife Jay Leno Late Show Times Suare

• miso80's Profile Photo

Broadway's 'Beauty and the Beast': Theatrical Nights!

by miso80 Written Mar 8, 2006

Something you must not miss out on while in New York...is the magic and art of Broadway!! I was lucky to be staying on Broadway, and Times' Square was only a 5 minute walk away... I was a little late in planning, and so was only lucky to find tickets for Beauty and the Beast. It was a lovely show..but I've been told that 'The Lion Kind', 'The Producers' ...and other performances would have swept me off my feet.

Nevertheless...When in New York...Go to the theater as often as you can :-)

Dress Code: Business casual is usually recommended for the theater..Don't dress up too much - it is no longer in style, and dont dress down - try to avoid jeans and a t-shirt.

• elPierro's Profile Photo

TKTS: Cheap tickets to Broadway

by elPierro Updated Nov 20, 2005

At Times Square there is a stand with the sign TKTS. Here they sell tickets to Broadway shows for the same evening with a reduced price. Shows that aren't completely sold-out are on offer here for 25 to 50% discount. The same applies for no-show-up on reservations, which mean that the bigger shows on Broadway are usually on sale as well. But the number of seats is limited ofcourse. You can also give it a go for the TV-Shows here. The Late Show with David Letterman is on Broadway as well, as is Goodmorning America and Total Request Live.

• madamx's Profile Photo

Don't Miss Out on Broadway Shows

by madamx Written Oct 30, 2005

I know that there must be a gazillion tips on seeing a Broadway show!

My tip is : coming to New York and NOT seeing a show is like having a piece of birthday cake without the icing; you'll have a good time, but something is missing. So, get out and treat yourself to a show!

The Virgin Megastore in Times Square is open until 1:00 am, so if you have to have the soundtrack (like I did) after the show, you can run out right away to buy it.

Dress Code: I thought we would have to be dressed up to go to the theatre, but people were mostly dressed casually. Jeans would be ok.

We wish that was our limo!

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Broadway: Attend a musical ...

by GUYON Updated Aug 18, 2005

Attend a musical (comedy).
    Book a place is not necessary if you are at the chosen theater half an hour before.
    The best sits cost 50$ but at 30$ you are also at a good place. The theaters play every evening excepted the Monday but few of them are open this day.
    The Musical is borned here.
    You can have the tickets at half price at the ticketing which is at Times Square

Dress Code: Casual. No Video, no photograph

Broadway
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

"Broadhurst Theater" 700 Sundays: Meeting Billy Crystal in NYC

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 18, 2005

We waited outside the Broadhurst Theater on West 44th street across from the St. James Theater waiting to meet Billy Crystal.

He was starring in his play "700 Sundays". He came out about an hour after the preformance looking very tired. This was a saturday so he had already put on an earlier show.

He was very nice and signed the autographs and let us take pictures.

Billy Crystal signing autographs 4-9-05

"This is How it Goes" play: Ben Stiller and my brother Victor

by butterflykizzez04 Updated Apr 14, 2005

We went to the PUBLIC THEATER on Lafayette down in the village near NYU and saw Ben Stiller, Jeffrey Wright and Amanda Peet in a play.

It was awesome. The seats were 5th row from the stage, and they were wonderful. We paid $60 and it was worth every penny.

Afterwards, we got to greet and meet Ben Stiller as he was leaving. He was very friendly and he gladly gave us autograph and let us take pictures. He was awesome. We spent between 20-30 minutes talking to him about alittle bit of everything. The highlight of the trip!!!

Victor w/Ben Stiller outside theater April 10,2005

"This is How it Goes" play: Meeting and getting autograph from Ben Stiller

by butterflykizzez04 Updated Apr 14, 2005

Dress Code: The dress code was casual. No one was too dressy. It was nice.

Ben Stiller stopped to sign autographs

"This is How it Goes" play: Meeting Jeffrey Wright outside theater in NOHO

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 14, 2005

Afterwards, we got to get autograph and photo of Jeffrey Wright. He was very friendly.

Jeffrey Wright outside theater April 10, 2005

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels