Cielo, New York City

18 Little West 12th Street (212) 645-5700

Know about this? Rate It!

Hanging outside terrace
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Cielo Nightclub: Pre Geisha Birthday Celebrations at Cielo

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 17, 2008

Usual suspects, me, Tom, Danny, Jenny

Ro was in town celebrating her NYC Bithday Bash as usual and we decided to venture to Cielo for her first night in town.

The club is small and is surrounded by the bar to one side and the entrance to the outdoor smoking area. The music is your typical house music. The drinks are a bit on the pricey side, but who cares when you are having a good time.

I must confess that the only time I actually venture to a night club like Cielo is when Ro is in town, or when my girlfriends need a night of dancing.

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

cielo: My new favorite club

by ctorres1979 Written Jun 1, 2008
    my fave dj oscar g

Just had just about my best night at a club ever at Cielo. Its right in the meatpacking district and its a small place which in my opinion is great because I;m not really a person who goes clubbing very much at all so I appreciated how close you were to the dj. We went to see oscar g, an amazing dj who most of the time is in miami.

Dress Code: Supposedly the door people are strict but that night we all (all women) got in right away., I was in jeans and heels, everyone else more dressed up

• sasch's Profile Photo

Cielo & First Fridays at the Guggenheim: Best Club in Town

by sasch Updated May 7, 2007

Guggenheim Party

Cielo: is in the ultra Chic Meat Packing District and at the moment Best Club in Town. Great Cool Music, thats a Club you feel really in NYC

Guggenheim: Enjoy a drink with friends, explore the galleries, and listen to some of the best DJs in town, all in the spectacular Frank Lloyd Wright–designed building. Open from 9 PM to 1 AM, admission is $25. Free for all
    Attention: come early, really long queue

Dress Code: Cielo: Cool casual

Guggenheim: Cool, not so casual

• Singles

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Cielo: Cielo in the Meat Packing District

by tomhoward Updated May 20, 2006

Cielo

Cool little venue in the "Meat Packing" district of town. You can catch Little Louie Vega of Masters at Work fame every Wednesday here for the Roots night. This is a quote from one review about the club:

"Velvet rope? "Barbed wire" might be a more apt description". After sufficient grilling from the requisite outlandish bouncers, a narrow hallway illuminated by a single blue light leads you into a sceney New York moment"

With this in mind we were a little concerned about getting in. Imagine our surprise when we arrived early, only to be quickly swept through the door by the bouncer, along with various other characters who wouldn't have looked amiss on Jerry Springer.

Inside, the club consists solely of one small dance floor and bar, and an outdoor area for smoking. I would say this is actually the clubs appeal as it creates an intimate atmosphere for DJ and crowd, and gives good acoustics for the system.

This venue illustrated the reason the club scene in the UK has nose dived over the last 15 years... inside, the crowd was about as varied as you'll ever see in such a small club - black / white / gay / straight / rich / poor etc etc. This just added to the friendly vibe, and you really got the feeling that anyone would be accepted in this place if they had the right attitude. (Unlike some UK clubs where you may be snubbed for not wearing the latest 'Von Dutch' t-shirt).

Also they seemed more into their hip hop dancing than the music - and we were entertained with several Ali G style dance offs.

Good venue, good music, good people, good night...

Dress Code: Door policys should never be about the clothes but the people who wear them.

However, I had heard this place was strict, but I saw peeps in trainers and combat pants. I suspect Saturday nights are when the door policy gets tougher.

• Luxury Travel
    • Music
    • Work Abroad

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels