SOB's, New York City

200 Varick St. 212 243 4940

Know about this? Rate It!

SOB's
    by Nathalie_B
  • SOB's: Invited Guest

by steeldiaz Updated Apr 4, 2011

I was at SOB's just last night as an invited guest. I was there to do a freelance job for Art of Rhyme which involved doing a video spotlight on one of the artist they had performing that night. We made all our arrangements with the club's publicist, Derick, who appeared to be very accomidating. He put our party of three on the "guest list" and told us to be there at 8:00pm.

When we get there, the doorman tells us that Derick hasn't been seen, and if we were on his guest list we would have to wait in line. We get to the front of the line after about a 45-minute wait only to be informed that we weren't on the guest list. Derick was nowhere to be found, and was told to wait outside while they clear up the matter. We waited an additional hour, and decided to leave when we saw that the club had no intention on letting us in.

At this point I had the expense of a 4-hour trip, a 2-hour wait, and a video crew that needed to be paid. Mind you... we were "INVITED GUEST." I can't imagine how they stay in business after reading all their bad reviews on different websites, or why would any musical guest perform in such a place. In fairness, you can find good reviews about SOB's, but it only means that you have a 50/50 chance of making a big mistake.

It was Terrible! And the way they treated some of the patrons was even worst. New York is famous for it's wonderful nightlife, but you won't find it at SOB's. Do the research, and find a better place to spend your money.

-Unwanted Guest

• SOB's: Invited Guest: Invited Guest

by steeldiaz Updated Apr 4, 2011

-Unwanted Guest

• sweetee's Profile Photo

SOB's: Samba in New York!!!

by sweetee Updated Apr 4, 2011

Went to SOB's one Saturday for their Brazilian night. Great live band playing high energy dance music. One of my aerobics instructors, Michael, often leads the dancing. He is a great dancer and while it can be fun watching, the music is contagious and you can't help following along.

As with many Latin clubs, the men are not shy about asking women to dance. So be forewarned, there may be a sweaty guy heading your way. This may not be the place for those shy females.

• SOB's: Best spot for Live Music

by K.Marley Written Feb 19, 2008

SOBs is a tight spot for a night of live music. The staff is nice and the music is usually something amazing and eclectic. I've been there a few times and each of my visits has been a little different from the others. Like I said before a lot of the staff is really nice and the food is banging(for an appetizer I suggest the sampler platter...a lot of good stuff on it). My advice for anyone who wants to go to a popular show there would be to make sure you get your tickets early to guarantee that you get to go.
    -K.Marley

Dress Code: i like SOBs because unlike a lot of other clubs of its caliber it doesnt have a strict and ridiculous dress code.

• Singles
    • Music

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

SOB's: Real Latin Music

by Nathalie_B Written Jan 5, 2003

Every time I go to SOB's I get this crazy-Brazilian energy. If you don't dance, you'll still have pleasure listening to live music while having dinner or simply drinking exotic cocktails at the bar.

Dress Code: Wear whatever you want, even swimming suit is fine.

SOB's

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels