The Australian, New York City

20 West 38 Street 212.869.8601

Know about this? Rate It!

• The Australian
    Liz's wine and my beer
    Chips
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

The Australian: Good Pub for Watching Formula 1

by cjg1 Updated Sep 20, 2010

Liz and I enjoying the race at 2 in the morning

Watching the Formula 1 Melbourne Grand Prix is what originally brought us here. We had heard they were showing the Grand Prix Live and that agroup was getting together to cheer on their favorite drivers. The race was to start coverage at 1:30 am and last until 4am. We were game since we both love the sport.

The pub is a nice size with a large bar area with tables and chairs. The back room has tables and booths along with tons of TV's on the walls. We arrived at 1am and had a seat at a round booth in the back room. We decided to have something to eat since we had skipped dinner earlier in the night. Liz decided on some Salt & Pepper calamari and I ordered some Chips. The clamar was okay nothing great but the chips were rather nice with sour cream and chili dipping sauces. Liz has some Matua Bay Sauvignon Blanc while I enjoyed some Miller Lites through the evening.

By 1:30 the back room was packed with over sixty Formula One fans ready to watch the race. It was a great race and we had a wonderful time cheering on our favorite drivers and screaming at the TV whenever Hamilton tried to make a pass. The time seemed to fly by and soon the race was over with Button as the champion. This was a fun way to watch the race and an interesting end to an evening out.

We recently returned to the Australian with Laura. She wanted to go as soon as we told her about the bar. She was dissapointed that there were only two Australian in the pub...oh well. We still managed to enjoy a few drinks before heading off to catch a train.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels