Handbag that Zips, New York City

by MELEBR
    by greencard
  • Travel Light

by zoearcher Written Oct 14, 2007

Luggage and bags: Bring a small bag to use when sightseeing and shopping, but bring a HUGE suitcase to bring all your goodies back in.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Dress to the season. We went in November and it was absolutely freezing. Sunny but SOOO cold.
    Take good firm walking shoes or comfortable trainers. A nice thick coat. I also wore a hat, scarf and gloves everytime I stepped outside.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take all the necessarys but dont worry if you forget anything as there are plenty of shops to get what you need.

Photo Equipment: DEFINITELY take a good camera I took hundreds of photos and we were only there for four days.

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

No one said NY was cheap...

by shutterlust Updated Jan 25, 2007

Packing?

Luggage and bags: New York is not like Europe in that we're not old enough to have many cobblestoned streets, so feel free to pack your rolling suitcases. However, if you plan on taking the subway, keep in mind there are stairs to deal with.

Women: bring purses that zip. I've never known anyone who's been actually "pickpocketed" but to be on the safe side, don't take a large -open- tote, especially if you think you might look too much like a tourist.

And those huge camping backpacks look silly! Who actually camps in New York! (Edit: Ok, so I'm just realizing that backpacks are fairly common in Europe. Bring them if you must. But just as Europeans don't wear shorts, New Yorkers don't wear fanny/bum packs. Fannypacks are definite tourist gear.)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Whoever said that all New Yorkers wear all black was TOTALLY lying! I hardly ever wear ANY black! It's such a depressing color. Wear whatever YOU PLEASE! Actually, the weirder you dress, the more you might actually fit in! (Note: As ATLC and others have pointed out, I do own black clothes and I do wear them on occasion. Bring black clothing, but don't feel as though you need to wear black to fit in!)

Bring sensible flats...or at least kitten heels or wedged heels. Women: buy foot pads if you do wear heels. Well, buy foot pads no matter what. You could use the cushioning on the hard sidewalks!

Don't wear all white sneakers. It bothers me so much when tourists wear those. I still can't believe people actually wear those white sneakers, shorts, t-shirts, visors, and those "fanny packs". You'll look ridiculous. But don't be afraid to bring sneakers in general.

For more information on What-To-Wear, visit my 2 What-To-Wear Tips listed under General Tips.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you're from a foreign country, obviously bring your own prescriptions because you might not know what the American version is called. Otherwise, you can pretty much find everything else. Try Duane Reade, especially for standard toiletries and medical supplies. They're everywhere.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping??...where would people actually camp?! Central Park? (Actually, that might be interesting...)

Miscellaneous: Bring foot paddings, a fold-up tote bag for any souvenirs, a water bottle to fill up (bottled water can be expensive in certain neighborhoods), a book to read on long museum admissions lines, and try to find a SMALL map of Manhattan. (attempt to be discreet).

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• MELEBR's Profile Photo

In the COLD.............

by MELEBR Written Feb 16, 2006

Luggage and bags: Keep you luggage, bags, purses, and wallets in your sight at all times. Purses need to zip or snap so they close. It's amazing how easy it would be for thieves to reach their hand right in your purse while walking down the street. You would think they are just bumping in to you and then when you go to get you wallet it wont be there. It's better to be safe than sorry. This hasnt happened to me or anyone I know but why even give them a chance??

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When I visited in the winter time, I really lucked out becuase NY usually has oodles of snow. It did snow a little and it rained. I suggest bringing warm clothes like sweaters and long sleeve shirts for shopping or sightseeing. When also could have used an umbrella while we were there but never even thought about it. At night, you can were you sexy clothes, but bring a scarf to wrap around your neck and a warm, long coat.

Photo Equipment: A cheap disposable camera works fine and takes good pictures. But, if you want high waulity photos, and be able to zoom in and out , then bring your digital. I suggest the digital becuase there are so many awesome views that you would want to come out perfectly.

• Had almost everything I needed, except...

by lodeepve Written Jan 8, 2005

Luggage and bags: Girls, I was very surprised how safe, I felt in NY! At first walking around to check out our immediate area, I had cash and ID in jacket pockets, but eventually, I needed more very important things, lip stick for instance, and the camera of course. Felt very comfortable carrying my purse, but it wasn't big enough. Take a smallish tote bag, preferably something with a closure (just to make you feel safe) and make sure it will hold all the important things you will need to carry if you are out all day sight seeing. You will want your hands free when shopping, or riding the subway, you may need to hold on!
    Guys, don't be afraid to use a fanny pack! I had to carry everything for myself and DH in my (too small) purse!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It's true, everyone does wear black!

Don't be a slave to fashion fashion! Be sure you can walk the distance in even your evening shoes! We walked everywhere! Even when we thought we were exhausted, I just wanted to soak it all in, and you can't do that from a taxi!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take anti-bacterial lotion, travel sized in your tote bag! After a couple of hours of door handles and subways, I started to feel a little 'icky' . (admittedly, I have a bit of a 'germ thing')
    And a note about bathrooms here...understandably businesses try to keep the facilities for their customers, but NY was the first place I've ever seen 'bathroom guards' lol. My girlfriend's hubby got in an insane line at McD's for a coke, just so we could get upstairs to use the bathroom, my DH was not allowed to come up to see what was taking us so long as he didn't have a purchase, (the line was about 15 long when we arrived). So plan your breaks carefully, or take some Depends! lol

Miscellaneous: Band-Aids for blisters, just in case.

A healthy dose of good attitude! I found New Yorkers quite friendly and helpful really, one lady even walked DH and I to the exit we needed in Grand Central, exactly the opposite way she was going! But the crowds can get to you if you aren't used to it, and lines/waits are long to see some sights.

• Women's Travel

• If you're going to be walking.....

by WhiteSandLaker Written Jul 19, 2003

Luggage and bags: Make sure you pack a fashionable bag/backpack that will carry a water bottle, umbrella, maps, and even a small snack. The days get long, the weather changes, you'll get thirsty!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Two words.......COMFORTABLE SHOES!!!!! Make sure they fit, make sure they are broken in, make sure they are comfy. Your feet will thank you! And did I mention a small umbrella? Don't let a little rain stop you from seeing the City!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Okay, so you didn't bring the comfortable shoes, did you? Well, then you'd better pack the moleskin!

Photo Equipment: Something lightweight and easily put into a purse or backpack.

• Packing List

by kingstonk22 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Just about anything will work. I like to use oversized back packs.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather is unpredictable, either it will be hot or it will rain all the time....lol. That is true for most cases but there are nice days too. Just pack for hot and cold, and don't forget the rain gear.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: First Aid kit, and OFF

Photo Equipment: There is alot of wildlife and nature trails, so if you like that kind of stuff bring that camara.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping, that all what I am talking about.

• greencard's Profile Photo

by greencard Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Whatever you bring to wear, for walking around the city I found the best to have a small backpack or a messenger bag. It's easy to keep close to you, you don't have to stuff your pockets with things, and it can comfortably hold your guide, money, snacks, and most importantly a water bottle or two. You will need these, especially if you're there in July. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take an umbrella as well, just in case.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Wear whatever shoes you're the most comfortable walking in.

Photo Equipment: We took our digital camera and fared well with it. Just make sure you've charged it before you left. If you're charging it in your hotel, check that the outlet isn't on the same circuit as the light switch! This will cut off electricity to the charger when you kill the lights to go to sleep.

• SuVaHa's Profile Photo

by SuVaHa Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: We just took backpacks so we wouldn't have to check into the hotel right away. It was the easiest to carry around.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring good walking shoes that are fashionable if you can.

Photo Equipment: Bring a lot of film! There is a lot to take pictures of.

• cherylzyx's Profile Photo

by cherylzyx Updated Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: For site-seeing we took a small, black shoulder bag that had several zipper pockets. I packed our camera, directions to where we were headed, a subway map, contact lens solution, anti-bacterial wash, wet-wipes, snacks, etc.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Definately wear comfortable shoes, you will walk a lot in Manhattan.

Photo Equipment: We stayed 10 days and took 8 rolls of film with 24 exposures each. I wish I had taken more. It's also a good idea to jot down some notes about your photos as you go. We got home and had a hard time sorting out exactly where we were when certain shots were taken. I wish I would have written down somewhere the cross streets. (ex. pic of rooftop garden at 62nd street and 5th ave) It took us a long time to figure that one out, luckily the 62nd street sign was just barely visible in the pic and we figured out we were on 5th ave from the pictures taken before and after it.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

by american_tourister Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Carry a day pack or small backpack for outings. Many people carry them here for dialy use and it will not cause you to stick out. They are very handy. I never intend on buying anything and always wind up with something. This makes it easy to tote around.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good walking shoes. You are going to walk a lot no matter where you go. Wear something practical.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels