Packing for Winter, New York City

by zumodemango
  • iam1wthee's Profile Photo

4 seasons

by iam1wthee Updated Mar 28, 2013

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sunglasses are necessary especially when driving. There are some new glasses out now that will get dark when it is too bright and will go back to normal when the light is normal.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Moisturizer is essential in the bitter cold. The wind will beat your face up.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Our winters have been heavy with snow recently. We also have ice storms. Hats, gloves, scarves, warm coats, vests, non slippery tall boots are necessary during winter.

Miscellaneous: We have four seasons winter spring summer fall. We also use fahrenheit as opposed to celsius. If the temperature is 40 degrees F or below then you will need a coat. If it is 70 degrees F you need nothing. Anywhere in between may require a jacket.

• Women's Travel

• zumodemango's Profile Photo

hat in summer adn hat in winter

by zumodemango Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Dana's room

Luggage and bags: whatever, for a wedding, big hard suitcase.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In summer: bikinis, light wear, different hats, sunglasses and suncream(top protection)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: if needed

Photo Equipment: cameras

Miscellaneous: A comb to tide your hair, like in my case, this last time (june 05), shoes or snearsk to walk in the asphalt and eveywhere.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Be prepared for the cold at this time of year!

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 26, 2008

Luggage and bags: Wheels!!!Wheels!!!Wheels!!! If you need to do a lot of walking with your luggage, and you might very well have to, have wheels on your luggage!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We went in winter and prepared for the cold, and still weren't prepared for SUCH cold. It was -13 deg C and we could hardly feel our faces when we were walking outside. Take thick scarves, gloves, wooly hats, jackets...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I always take headache tablets, plasters etc. A basic first aid kit.

Photo Equipment: Take anything you think you'll need. Naturally there is no shortage of electricity here, so charging batteries is no problem. Bring your photo cards with you, we wanted to buy a couple extra and felt we were being ripped off due to us being foreigners.

Miscellaneous: In the first photo I had put on 2 pairs of gloves, the second pair being much too large for me which you can see haha. The second photo shows us on top of the open top bus tour... freeeeezing up there!

• Architecture

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Packing List

by DanielF Updated Aug 12, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In spite of the fact that New York lies on approximately the same latitude as Madrid or Rome and very close to the sea, the weather can be described as continental: extrme temperatures in winter and summer. Autumn and Spring are the best times to visit.

• Ipanema_Princess's Profile Photo

Be prepared for snow !

by Ipanema_Princess Updated Jun 26, 2007

Snow alert !

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you're going to NYC during the winter time, don't forget to take appropriate shoes to face the snow ! I was there in March, and I got caught in a snow "storm". I had boots but there were not in plastic and my feet were completly freezing inside !
    The day after the snow is even worse because it's all melting, creating gigantic ponds at every crossroads. So be prepared !

PS : Gloves are also a good idea !

• westy79's Profile Photo

Wrap Up To Keep Warm

by westy79 Written Aug 20, 2006

Very cold in March

Luggage and bags: As we purchased many items from New York we were forced to buy 2 extra suitcases. Luckily we were not charged to at the airport but be careful as it could get expensive in fees.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: As we went to NY in March it was vey cold although it made Central Park look really nice covered with snow. Luckily we took big jackets to keep us warm. However we had to buy some wooly hats and gloves but you can pick these items up for a very cheap price. Try to wear some comfortable shoes as NY involves alot of walking.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Due to the amount of walking my girlfriend needed some special blister plasters so it may be worth taking some with you. Other than that just the usual everyday items are needed

Photo Equipment: Because there were so many great sights to see we took hundreds of photos and filled up our memory card. We had to buy one over there so make sure you take a large capacity memory card

• feag's Profile Photo

January visit? wrap up warm!

by feag Written Jun 2, 2006

Luggage and bags: some people visit NY to go shopping and so many take an empty suitcase with them - but I would say just take a larger one than you would normally - so as anything you buy - fits in.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We visited in January once, it was so cold, I have never felt cold like it before or since!
    I wore, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of jogging bottoms & numerous tops & a warm hat & gloves. Then we went in March next time and it was spring like.. just make sure you check before you go! Take comfortable walking shoes for the amount of walking you will do. A rucksack helps too!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Lots of shops so you wont not be able to buy anything you have forgotten, but medical supplies as usual wont go amis in your luggage.

Photo Equipment: I took so many photos so take enough films & batteries for your camera.

• joits's Profile Photo

NYC in the winter...

by joits Written Mar 22, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It's cold. Especially for someone from California. I had to buy a bunch of thermal underwear, something which has almost no use in Southern Cali, but very helpful in NYC. So bring those. Bring gloves, beanies, scarfs, anything that will help you keep warm.

Miscellaneous: Bring an umbrella, but if you forget it, don't fret. If it starts to rain, there are plenty of street vendors who will sell you a cheap umbrella for around $4.

• Martman's Profile Photo

Winters are cold

by Martman Updated Mar 11, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: People always think of Canada as cold. I was in New York once in winter. It was really cold. If you visit in this season, dress accordingly. Make sure you have a few layers of clothing and thick gloves.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Winter wear

by dejavu2gb Written Jan 13, 2006

Luggage and bags: I visited New York during December/Early January, and although the weather was not excessively cold, it was quite rainy, so I would suggest having a look at the weather forecast before deparing to have an indication.
    Some days were quite nippy so take warm clothes, and dont forget gloves and scarf... hahaha I sound like a mother now.
    Oh, I alsmost forgot... take comfortable shoes!!! You will do quite a lot of walking, well I did lots of walking and comfy shoes is a must!

Photo Equipment: If you have not gone digital yet... then stock up on film, there are so many cool things to see, you will take lost and lots of pictures!!

Miscellaneous: I have a friend that lives in New York and she does complain that in the summer is does get very very hot, so again, it might be wise to check out the weather before leaving so make sure what to pack.

• Business Travel

• Wear a hat or die of explosure!

by emmasparkes Written May 27, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you go in the winter you need a hat!!I know most of us hate wearing them but its wear one or die of exposure!! You also need lots of layers and a big warm coat! Thermal underwear such as longjohns that you buy in walking shops are great (no one can see that you have them on!!)

New Yorkers are all wrapped up in long duvet type coats and they have learnt this from experience!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Visiting in the winter

by Dabs Written Feb 1, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Although I didn't have any snowy weather on my trip, it certainly can happen so bring a sensible pair of shoes, preferably with treads, so you can enjoy walking around. You should also bring a hat, gloves and a warm coat. I wore my Columbia jacket, with lots of interior pocket space to hold my valuables, and brought a sweatshirt to layer underneath.

I didn't hit any fancy restaurants but if you are planning on doing fine dining you may want to check the dress code. Casual dress seemed to be OK at the theaters.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: New York has many pharmacies where you can buy anything you might forget at home

Photo Equipment: Bring lots of film/memory for all the pictures you are going to take

Miscellaneous: I brought a couple of guidebooks with me, the Eyewitness Guide so I could read up on things before I left my hotel (very heavy to lug around) and Eyewitness Top 10 New York which fit into my coat pocket which had a decent map of Manhattan and the subway

• Footwear in Winter

by sparkindy Written Jan 19, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If visting NYC in winter I would recommend taking footwear sutible for walking in the snow. I made the the mistake of taking just a pair of trusty comfy trainers. When the snow fell we had to walk through deep snow and my feet were soaked. The only wellies I could find were a pair of pucci wellies on park lane for over 200 dollars so I had to make do. Most New Yorkers wore heavy duty boots.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: There is drugstores virtually all over manhattan that are cheap and widely stocked so buy anything you need when you get there

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Fall or winter -- WEAR A GOOD COAT OR DIE!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Dec 25, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you travel to NYC during the fall or the winter, you'll probably get some rain and/or snow, and the temperature can drop real badly... so you either take a good coat with you, or you go and buy a nice one as I did ;-) They're not very cheap, though (I got mine on a special sale so I got a quite good price, but it's not always the same), but the freezing temperatures you'll experience there are a good reason to get one! I love mine and still love to wear it whenever I can!

• trvlhke's Profile Photo

Beware of the Urban Winter

by trvlhke Written Dec 23, 2004

Luggage and bags: You might have to do some walking so take luggage and bags that can roll or are comfortable to carry. They should be sturdy too so you can toss them in and out of cabs.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Temperature isn't always your worst enemy in the winter, but the WIND! A wool coat that is fine elsewhere is no match for the urban wind tunnels.

Two words: COMFORTABLE SHOES!

Pack a hat to cover your ears (or an ear muffler) and a scarf big enough to cover your face if needed. WARM gloves too.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Pretty much anything is easily available but it's still a good idea to have some of the basics (bandaid, headache medicine, etc) since it can get expensive from the small shops around NYC.

Photo Equipment: If you take a camera just be sure to have some type of tote to carry it where you won't have to worry too much about it (i.e. a case with a strap you can put diagonally across your chest, etc)

Miscellaneous: Don't bring new shoes. You'll be doing some walking.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels