Asia de Cuba - Closed, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 10 Reviews

237 Madison Ave. New York City 212-726-7755

• Part of the
    Part of the "Lemon Drop Crew"
    by Gypsystravels
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Great place for a VT Meeting

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 25, 2008

Part of the

The "communal table" at Asia de Cuba is where to be seated at. There is a party scene vibe to enjoying your meal with a bunch of other diners. G_G was coming to NYC and wanted to host a small vt meeting and I suggested this place. WE had such a great time, eating, drinking and just getting to know eachother.

Favorite Dish: We decided to order quite a few dishes to share with the group. Everything we did order was fantastic. We had calamari salad, a very "rare" steak salad, an exotic Cuban crispy fish dish, and of course DESSERT!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Don't miss this Latin and Asian infusion!

by seamandrew Updated Mar 20, 2004

Once you get a load of the decor at this place and the ambience, you realize it is one of New York's most perennially hip restaurants, Guests are doubly impressed at how good the food is. The theme is Asia meets Cuba (or at least Latin cuisine generally), but nothing feels forced. Dishes are served family style -- great for large groups. Everything is excellent! I went with a group at work so we got to sample many things.

Favorite Dish: The honey rum pork and the steak dish are amazing!

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Don't Believe the Hype of this Restaurant

by AliasGirl Updated Aug 26, 2004

When Asia de Cuba first opened a few years back, my friends and I would frequent the bar and the lounge areas often. We sat for dinner a few times as well.

The decor is exotic and very beautiful. The realistic waterfall is calming and somehow it works perfectly with the hustle and bustle of this place.

I have to tell you the last time I went I was disappointed; the ambience was totally off and the staff and menu lacked luster.

I could think of at least ten more places with the same mixed fusion cuisine and style that is much better!

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba - CLOSED: When Size Matters....

by cjg1 Updated Apr 9, 2012

May 24, 2003

This restaurant is located on Madison right next to the Morgans hotel. I once read this place is packed with those on the A list, the it list, and those wanting to be on a list. And let me tell you. That remark is dead on. Except when we VTers are around.
    It is a family style setting in that the portions are huge and meant to be shared.

Favorite Dish: I was very impressed with the food. I know I need to stop saying that about the food when I go to VT meetings but it really is true. Whenever we have a VT dinner we find the best places to eat.
    That said my favorite part of the meal was the Calamari Salad. I have never liked calamari before but this salad just said it all to me. I have since searched it out elsewhere but this is where it all started for me. Also the chicken dish on the entree menu was very good.
    Also be sure to check out the desserts here. See Geisha_Girl's page for a pic of the cake we had.

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: New York City *SWANK* Bar and Restaurant

by Geisha_Girl Updated May 27, 2003

Dinner with

It's a definite "party scene" when you're seated at the "communal table" at Asia de Cuba.

Everything we ordered from the menu was superb. The key to ordering is to do it "family style" and share your dishes. We had calamari salad, a very "rare" steak salad, an exotic Cuban crispy fish dish, and we couldn't resist DESSERT!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Geisha serves DESSERT!

by Geisha_Girl Written May 27, 2003

Geisha serves

The dishes were huge.....and this includes the dessert!

We ordered a delicious coconut cream cake and a scoop of coconut ice cream on the side. Amongst all five of us at dinner, we couldn't even finish the dish!

The dessert was as decadent as the "Geisha" holding the dish!

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Dont miss the calamari salad

by meaganelizabeth Written Aug 24, 2005

Must have a reservation! You can come here for drinks at the bar, but to eat here any night of the week, you must have a reservation! THe atmosphere is really brilliant, this ian shrager restaurant has amazing food.

Favorite Dish: The tuna tartare is delicious, as are all of the drinks and desserts. My favorite is the calamari salad, this huge salad, with everything you can imagine. BAnanas, it has it all.

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: A great New York restaurant

by monicarc Written Nov 27, 2005

This restaurant is what you think a restaurant in NYC should be like, really trendy ambiance and decor, plus interesting, different food. If you want to experience at least one night of NYC dining, this one is a great pick!

Favorite Dish: Grilled Ahi tuna and Thai pepper salad!!

• jpizquierdo's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Nice experience

by jpizquierdo Updated May 9, 2006

This is a very interesting experience, we didnt have a reservation but they had a space in a livig room for us, the place was magnific, decoration very stylish, a lot to see, mixture of furniture and colors, as always ( Philippe Starck ) the designer, did it right, doing something different, with he´s signature.

Favorite Dish: We did not eat dinner, we have appetizers, we love a fusion of spicy crab,

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Asia de Cuba: Fusion Done Right

by kidkilowatt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Asia De Cuba is a great place to go with a few people, as the portions are really big and the more people that go, the more you can taste! This is a fusion restaurant, specializing in a combination of Cuban and Asian food (as the name suggests). A few years ago it was a really hot spot to go and it was really difficult to get a table- now, it is probably a little easier, but a reservation is probably still a good idea. The atmosphere is really trendy and hip. There is an upstairs and a downstairs, lots of hip neon lighting and a great rum bar. There is also a communal dinning table in the middle of the restaurant, though there are also private tables. You cannot go wrong ordering a rum drink from this place. I have spent several happy birthdays here and I will always recommend it to people visiting New York as I think it is really tasty and has great atmosphere. I have never heard of anyone being dissatisfied with their experience. It is a bit pricey, but certainly not as bad as some New York restaurants. Dress is casual, but cleaned up- in other words, I would try to look kind of nice, but we're not talking suit and tie here.

Favorite Dish: The Bay of Pigs Dessert
    The Lobster Mash Potatoes

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels