Balthazar, New York City

Profiteroles
    Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    Creme Brulee
  • clareabee's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Great spot for breakfast!

by clareabee Written Apr 25, 2012

we visited Balthazar whilst in New York with our friends for breakfast. The place was incredibly busy with both locals and tourists alike. Although it was a bit cramped the food was excellent and the staff incredibly efficient. The toilets are lovely and are like something you would find in a restaurant in France.
    I wouldn't come here for a romantic meal but we enjoyed ourselves as we were with friends and it had a good lively atmosphere with people enjoying their breakfasts.
    I would suggest booking - we were lucky and just walked in, but in a previous visit to NYC myself and my husband had tried to get lunch here but were told it was a 2 hour wait - so obviously very popular.
    There was a good selection of foods and the coffee and juice were excellent. Despite the fact that the place was busy you didn't feel at all rushed. It is also in one of my favourite parts of town!

Favorite Dish: We only had the full breakfast which was lovely - not too greasy and the sausages were meaty rather than fatty! The coffee was also excellent (although I have never had a bad coffee in NYC!)

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Great Brunch

by cjg1 Updated Sep 20, 2010

Liz & her Belini Martini

One of my favorite spots to grab brunch, lunch or dinner. Balthazar is a great place to have bistro food, good desserts and excellent drinks. The inside is a little cramped with tables and booths right on top of each other. The bar area is small and often overcrowded. The menu has something for every palate and I have never had a bad meal here. The service is attentive which is amazing since the place is always packed. Reservations aren't the rule but we prefer to have one so we are guaranteed a table.

We recently took our friend Laura here for Sunday Brunch. As always the place was packed but we had a reservation and were seated promptly. It's always difficult to choose an entree but we managed eventually with Laura and I ordering the Eggs Benedict and Liz having the pancakes. I ordered a beer while Liz and Laura indulged in some cocktails ( a Bellini for my wife and I'm sure sure of the name of Laura's cocktail except that it had Vodka and Champagne). As always our food was delicious; we were happy that our friend throughly enjoyed her meal.

Favorite Dish: My favorites here are the Eggs Norwegian. Poached eggs with smoked salon and hollandaise sauce. An amazing blend of flavors that always starts the afternoon off right. The scrambled eggs in pufed pastry with asparagus is also good but not my favorite breakfast item. Liz normally orders the French Toast when we are here for brunch along with her favorite Bellini Martini.

When we have dinner here the Steak au Poivre is really good . We like to get the escargot as an appetizer and they are delicious and very flavorful. We try to come on nights when the
    Bouillabaisse is the special (Friday's) because Liz loves it so much. If we are here any other night she'll get the moules frites or steak frites.

Dessert here is unbelievable and the Pineapple Upside Down Cake and the Profiteroles are my favorit hands down. Liz loves her creme brulee so she always has to finish her meal with it as her dessert.

• The food is fantastic!: Balthazar

by maniaclick Updated Aug 13, 2010

The food is fantastic. There are moments in the life of a food lover which will be remembered forever. This was one of them! Usually, I am an invisible observer in my reports, but this time it is different…

___________________________________
    The New Way for Search Apartment Rentals
    gobeez.com

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Am I in Paris or SOHO?

by brewjohnson Written Mar 11, 2010

While the setting, decor and waitstaff's uniform's at Balthazar all scream Paris brasserie, this place is all New York. The place has a semi-frenetic pace, with white coated waiters running across black and white tiled floors, and the people watching is very good. It seems that every time I've been here (normally on business), the tables next to me are filled with attractive 30 and 40 something women enjoying champagne or white wine between a day of shopping. So, if you want to get a peek at the lunchtime habits of New York business people and socialites, Balthazar is a great choice.

Good food in a great setting with some top-notch people watching. One of my favorite lunch spots in the city.

Favorite Dish: Steak Frites.

• Wine Tasting

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Balthazar: A Little Bit of France in SOHO

by Paris92 Written Jan 30, 2009

My family eats here so much walking in with them is like walking in to Cheers with Norm. The food is fantastic, but it’s not really why people go here—really they go for the people-watching, which, even in NYC is above average here. It’s noisy and hard to have a conversation and the wait can be incredible, but still, it’s one of the most popular restaurants in the city. It’s certainly not cheap, but it’s doable if you plan.

Money-saving tip: They have about four different menus including a late afternoon menus that is a little less than the dinner menu and is great if you have theater tickets as it leaves you more than enough time for a leisurely meal and the ride uptown.

Call for reservations!!!

Favorite Dish: Anything!

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Sunday Brunch with family and friends

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 22, 2008

Me and Kristara

Balthazar is a favorite restaurant of my boss' and we usually entertain clients here for either lunch or dinner so naturally he made reservations for us girls (me and my 2 co-workers) as a special thank you for all our hard work throughout the year. Since neither of us had been here for brunch, we decided to schedule it for a Pre-Christmas Sunday Brunch.

I enjoy coming to this restaurant. It is so FRENCH!! It is a typical Parisian restaurant with its large cavernous interior, cramped seating, dark walls and nice booths. The wait staff is always excellent, attentive but not overly bearing. They definitely don't rush you out of your table and only bring you your check when you ask for it.

The food here is always amazing, doesn't matter what you have. I have had their steak frites which I always compare it to ones I've had in Paris..

Reservations are recommended and they will take them as far as 1 month in advance.

We had a wonderful brunch with excellent food and great company, what more can you ask for for the holidays?

Favorite Dish: We each ordered something different from the menu. I ordered the eggs benedict which was fantastic a cafe au lait (yum, miss that about Paris), Cathy and her boyfriend had the scrambled eggs with mushrooms and asparagus in a pastry puff (the pastry puff was so light and fluffy, yum), Vicky had the brioche French toast with bacon (the French toast was lite and airy) and Kristara had the sour cream warm waffles with wild berries (wow). OMG, we each sampled each other's choices and they were all amazing!!

We all decided we wanted some creme brulee which we all shared.

• Balthazar: Just Good

by ssterling Written Jan 18, 2008

Went for Sunday Brunch. Menu was uninspried as was the Corned Beef Hash I ordered.
    Coffee was disappointing as well. Wife thought the waffle was pretty good.
    Been looking forward to going for a long time, so it was kindof a let down.

• Balthazar: all round good place.

by Ferdia1 Written May 9, 2007

has a bar like "cheers" which was busy on a friday evening when we visited.
    good space and a high ceiling gives the place an "airy" feeling.
    the menu is broad ebough to please a couple of teenagers also and has a pretty extensive although a bit expensive wine list.

Favorite Dish: steak with garlic butter, this was nicely cooked and the garlic was not too strong.

• Balthazar: Best Onion Soup

by mitzi2 Written May 5, 2007

I have tried Onion Soup many times but this is by far the best I have ever had.I tried a few other things such as beef tartare but the Onion Soup is what I order when I visit NYC.

Favorite Dish: Onion Soup with wonderful flavor and lots of gooey delicious cheese on top.ummmmmmmmmmm

• jeaniek13's Profile Photo

Downtown Neighborhood: CAFE HABANA - Relatively cheap...

by jeaniek13 Updated Apr 12, 2007

My restaurant ratings were written back in 2001 (too lazy to update):
    CAFE HABANA - Relatively cheap restaurant with Cuban sandwiches. The one in Soho was in Lenny Kravitz's 'Again' music video.; Greenwich Village - 11 Abingdon Sq. (8th Ave.) Tel. 212.989.3600; SoHo/Little Italy
    17 Prince St. (Elizabeth St.); Tel. 212.625.2001; Relatively Inexpensive;

CANTEEN [SoHo - Little Italy] - The decor is cool in the subterranean restuarant with bright orange seating. The food is decent, 142 Mercer St. (Prince St.) Tel) 212.431.7766, Moderate-Expensive;

L'ORANGE BLEUE
    [SoHo - Little Italy] I've only had breakfast at this Moroccan-French restaurant, and it was soooooo good. They only took cash. 430 Broome St. (Crosby St.) Tel) 212.226.4999, Moderate-Expensive;

LOMBARDI'S [SoHo - Little Italy] - Thin crusts with coal-oven flavor.
    32 Spring St. (bet. Mott & Mulberry Sts) Tel) 212.941.7994 Cheap-Moderate;

Mercer Kitchen [SoHo - Little Italy] - New American-French flair! I've not been there, but have heard rave reviews.
    99 Prince St. (Mercer St.) Tel) 212.966.5454, Quite costly.;

VA TUTTO! [SoHo - Little Italy] - Small, dark, nice Northern Italian restuarant. I always have their fish plate and it's always great! The desserts are ok, just stick with the main dishes!
    23 Cleveland Pl. (bet. Kenmare & Spring Sts.) Tel)212.941.0286, Expensive;

AQUAGRILL [SoHo] - Great seafood and raw bar. It's a small tight restaurant, so make reservations in advance. It's Expensive, but give it a shot! 210 Spring St. (6th Ave.) Tel) 212.274.0505;

BALTHAZAR [SoHo - Little Italy] - Huge French brasserie. The decor is cool--extensive raw bar. Breakfast/brunch is great--I always had the hazelnut waffles. If there a few of you, get a basket of their breads, including chocolate bread with Valrhona chocolate! 80 Spring St. (B'way & Crosby St.) Tel) 212.965.1414; 71

Favorite Dish: CLINTON FRESH FOOD[Lower East Side] - Supposed to be a great seafood joint. Most people will not go down to the LES b/c it's not as bougie as other areas, but this restaurant is worth it. 71 Clinton St. (Rivington St.) Tel) 212.614.6960, Expensive.;

Ludlow is a cool strip of bars and hangouts. (bet. Rivington & Stanton Sts.)

EL CID [Chelsea] -The best tapas restaurant in the city. It's tight, so make reservations or else you'll have to wait some time. 322 W. 15th St. (bet. 8th & 9th Aves.) Tel) 212.929.9332, Moderate

• Singles
    • Wine Tasting

• danasuzanne's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous!

by danasuzanne Written Feb 20, 2007

Balthazar is one of the most noteable restaurants in NYC for good reason. The food, ambiance & service are excellent. It has a French Bistro feel. Very lively, relaxed & charming, despite it's size. I loved it. A wonderful, special date place. Make reservations well in advance. Go to Raoul's afterward for a nightcap.

Favorite Dish: The raw bar is exquisite. Classic French cuisine. Great wines.

• Business Travel

• pdoelger's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Don't forget to order the French Onion soup

by pdoelger Updated Jan 21, 2007

Their food is to die for. . . they make their own Alfredo sauceaand you'll love it on their home made pasta. Beautiful wines and liquors. Their shrimp and lobster looked big enough to pck me up. You can have the meal of your life right there and spend the better part of half the day talking about anything you want to. Do not worry about dressing up for this, go casual and you'll fit right in.

Your waiters are all dressed in black slacks and white shirts. The staff is extremely helpful and even when it is crowded, the waiting time is minamal. The selection is as complete as I've ever seen. If you can't find anything you like to eat then nothing will satisfy you. You will NOT be dissapointed with Balthazar.

The only thing negative would be that the isles between tables are so narrow it could be hard to navigate for people with dissabilities or wheel chairs. However, if you call in advance I'm sure they would accomdate you.

Favorite Dish: I had the French Onion soup for an appetizer and the pasta w/ alfredo as my main course. Too much for me to eat.

• Singles

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Balthazar: French Bistro

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Aug 24, 2006

This is my favorite place to eat*. I love the atmosphere and the food, although I always order the same thing.

They say you need reservations weeks in advance, but I have always walked in on the spur of the moment and have been seated, if not immediately, within a half an hour. Of course, I don't go at the height of the lunch or dinner hour.

There is a very nice bar where you can wait and have a glass of wine.

Dress for Sunday brunch is casual.

You may want to check http://www.chowhound.com or epinions for other customer reviews

or

*SEE ALSO MY REVIEW ON MY SECOND FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN NYC ON MY FLUSHING AND FOREST HILLS PAGES. The restaurant is Dirty Pierre's.

Favorite Dish: I almost always order the goat cheese tarte and a glass of wine. It is not a lot of food, but it gives me room to have the Pavlova for desert. If you want hartier fare, you might try the macaroni and cheese. My brother-in-law thinks it is the best he has ever eaten. It's too rich for me. My sister likes the cheese plate. The liver and onions were a big disappointment.

Depending on what you order, Balthazar may be considered average or expensive. Wine and desert will greatly add to the expense.

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

Balthazar: High energy restaurant

by rjweber21 Written May 14, 2006

Food was solid. Restuarant was still packed at 11:30 on a Thursday. A lot of Theatre crowd. All French winelist. They reeeeallly pack you in here, but the foods good enough that you probably won't complain. Pretty loud, but adds to the energy of the place. When I threw the name of this restaurant around w/ my NYC friends, they all were envious that I had eaten there.

Favorite Dish: I had a stuffed pork loin that was very good.

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Balthazar: Stylish French Bistro

by tomhoward Updated Feb 16, 2006

Actually Pastis but they look almost identical

The daddy in a chain of quality bistros and bars. Balthazar, like its sister restaurant Pastis, successfully emulates an old Parisian brassiere.

I really can't recommend this place enough, although it's no secret in New York, and youll have to book well in advance to have a hope of getting onto one of the closely packed, but very stylish, tables.

As well as quality food, wines and service, they have their own bakery that serves the whole chain.

Reasonable prices for such a high class French restaurant.

Also used as a location shoot for quite a few TV shows and films.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Balthazar
5.0 out of 5 stars