Calle Ocho, New York City

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Calle Ocho: Latin Experience on the Upper West Side

by TRimer Updated Apr 9, 2008

Marla, me, Betsy, Penelope and Shannon

This restaurant is a favorite of my dad's. He turned me on to pitchers of the wonderful Brazilian cocktail- caipirinha - here. We have had many a group outings to this restaurant over the years.

The scene is Buena Vista Social Clubbers with a yen for fun. The interior space features copper walls, whitewashed wood ceilings and dramatic black steel accents.

A protegy of Chicama's Douglas Rodriguez, chef Alex Garcia was in on the Nuevo Latino craze at the very beginning. He established a high-design beachhead in a precinct full of humble Chino-Latino lunch counters, thus enabling thirsty denizens to wash down their rice and beans with minty mojitos. Now with consulting chef Douglas Rodriguez stirring the pots, this kitchen's undergone a remarkable renaissance.

Favorite Dish: The Nuevo Latino menu focuses on the flavors and textures of Latin America. Be sure to try a great brazilian cocktail - the caipirinha.

Dinner: Mon.- Thurs.: 6:00pm -11:00pm
    Fri.: 6:00pm - 12:00am
    Sat: 5:00pm - 12:00am
    Sun: 5:00pm - 10:00pm

• Business Travel

• jeaniek13's Profile Photo

Calle Ocho: Fun Latin in UWS

by jeaniek13 Written Apr 12, 2007

The place is pretty hip, especially in the gentrified section of the UWS. It's Nuevo Latino -- specializing in Cuban -- but I am not an expert on either Cuban or NL -- so I will trust the menu and their website. All in all, it was a fun experience and I would definitely go back.

Favorite Dish: My friend and I shared their "Gallitos" (Platter of Traditional Costa Rican Soft Tacos with Grilled Beef, Shrimp Enchilado & Chipotle Chicken (serves two) - and both of us really loved the marinade of the chicken -- so soft and tender. Also, we devoured their bread, some kind of Portuguese influence?

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Calle Ocho
4.0 out of 5 stars