Carnegie Deli, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 30 Reviews

854 7th Avenue (at 55th Street)

Wood Allen pastrami sandwich
    by Fernandocramos
    Cheese cake
    by Fernandocramos
    huge sandwich!
    by Arial_27
  • Carnegie Deli: Was good deli food

by LovemySpouse Updated Nov 30, 2009

We went today around 2pm and walked right in. I got the Woody allen sandwich, which was HUGE and it was really tasty..I didn't know what to expect and thought it would be dry so got some mayo on the side and the nice waiter brought me 1,000 island dressing and said to put it on with some cole slaw as it was his favorite. I only ended up eating one piece of the bread with his combination (and it was tasty) and then some extra meat as it was quite moist on its own, and took all the rest home. Hubby had the hot roast beef sandwich with fries and said it was okay except he didn't like the bread (was caraway I believe, same as mine) We took a slice of cheesecake home and it was enough for two people to share...it was nice strawberry cheesecake, I've had better crusts, but it was creamy.
    Overall it was a good deli, the bill looks a little high but you have to take into consideration how much meat you get and take home, so it is reasonable... we paid a whole lot more at the tavern on the green and got a whole lot less plus tasteless food. As mentioned by others, you have to pay cash and share a table with other families as it is small.
    I would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind crowds and who likes deli.

• Fernandocramos's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Just to say we were there.

by Fernandocramos Updated Mar 19, 2008

Wood Allen pastrami sandwich

It was just to say we where there. We didnt like it so much, ok that is a big sandwich but with ordinary taste.You can share the sandwich but you have to pay an extra for this. The service was terrible, the waiter wants you to eat fast and leave fast and the place is very noisy. We tryed the Wood Allen sandwich with pastrami but it was not what we were waiting for.
    The only think we loved was the cheese cake, the better one I taste in my life, its a worth visit just because of the cheese cake.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was the desert, a cheese cake with strawberry

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Huge portions

by Dabs Updated Aug 4, 2007

Nieces and nephews outside Carnagie Deli

Last visit 7/12/07

The Carnegie Deli is well known for it's huge deli sandwiches, in particular corned beef and pastrami. I had my first corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli several years ago so on my 2nd visit to NYC I made a repeat visit when there by myself and a 3rd visit when I was there with my in laws in 2007. The sandwiches are huge, big enough for two people to share, and expensive at around $13.

I've eaten in twice but the 1st time we got it to go and took it back to our hotel, you're also very close to Central Park and could easily take it and have a picnic and avoid all those silly sharing and per person limits. There's nothing particularly exciting about eating inside the restaurant so I'd recommend getting it to go if it's an option.

My most recent visit was with 3 kids and 3 adults. Now the kids would never be able to finish a sandwich on their own so they split one and my sister in law and me split a corned beef and we got hit with 2 $3 sharing charges which is clearly stated on the menu but annoying nevertheless. They also state that there is a minimum $12.50 charge per person, our bill was slightly less than that but after the included service and tax our bill was $100! If the food wasn't good, I'd probably move this tip over to tourist traps, I could get a similar meal in Chicago for about 1/2 the price and no attitude...

Favorite Dish: The corned beef and pastrami are both excellent.

I was going to try a piece of cheesecake but the portions of that are also enormous, enough for a whole family to share.

• Carnegie Deli: Not Worth the Hype...

by EngAkWaSdKy Written Jul 1, 2007

The thing that sticks out in my mind when I remember back to my experience at Carnegie Deli is RUDE STAFF. We had a waiter who barely spoke English, and was ruder than anything. I had heard about New Yorkers being rude, but hadn't encountered one until I went here. At the end of our meal, he even stood around waiting for us to give him a tip. I think we ended up giving him a few cents... and don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than to give tips to waiters/waitresses. This guy just didn't deserve anything.

As far as the food goes, nothing sounded quite appetizing to me so I ordered a soda and strawberry shortcake (I must have missed the cheesecake)! Was pretty good... not the best, but definitely okay. I'm not a huge meat eater, so I probably wouldn't have eaten a sandwich from there if it was free (which is my own thing, nothing against the restaurant itself). But I really wonder if this is such a popular place because of the food, or because of people wanting to say, "I ate at Carnegie Deli"...

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Giant sandwiches

by Arial_27 Written Apr 25, 2007

huge sandwich!

This place was definately what it is cracked up to be! We went there expecting to get a true NYC experience, with rude waiters and such but they actually turned out to be very courteous and nice. The food was interesting but delicious! it had the biggest sandwiches I'd ever seen in my life with LOADS of meat on them (this place isn't ideal for vegetarians.) I'm avegetarian, and the only thing I could find in the menu sufficient enough to fill me up was cheesecake - so thats what I got! And it was the most DELICIOUS cheesecake I've ever tried in my life. Highly recommend going here, it is a lot of fun and a true NY experience.

I'd recommend probably sharing one sandwich between two people (ask the waiter about the size) because it is quite a bit of meat. Everything here is oversized, including the cheesecake, which I had to share with someone else.

Favorite Dish: Definately the cheesecake, the only thingI could eat. It was heavenly. It had the largest strawberries I'd ever seen on top of a cake, and it tasted creamy and soft somehow, it melted in your mouth. I'd definately recommend this for desert! (Or for dinner if you're a veggie.)

• Carnegie Deli: Skip this one

by johnnykluv Written Apr 4, 2007

It's a run-down dump. However even dumps can serve good food. The best I can say is that they stay traditional in that the sandwiches are just meat and rye bread without garnishes. Just because the sandwiches are HUGE, doesn't mean
    they taste good. There are too many rules to follow as listed in one of the other reviews. The staff screams at you and can't be bothered. They tell you they don't take credit cards until after you've ordered take-out. The dining room is incredibly cramped. I think people give this a good rating because they think they're supposed to, just as they're supposed to go to Times Square. 2nd Ave Deli was better but is closed. Stage and Katz's are tourist traps too. Better
    to search in the outer boroughs or in the residential neighborhoods.

Favorite Dish: All bad.

• Bursland's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Don't go without a large appetite

by Bursland Updated May 29, 2006

Outside on 7th Avenue

This is undoubtedly the best Deli that I have visted .We went at about 11:00 am which seemed to be the right time just between breakfast and lunch.There were no queues and we got a table straight away. When we left at about 12:45 there was a queue down the street.

Favorite Dish: The menu is extensive and the portions are mega. I had a Woody Allen sandwich which was so big it had to be held together with a skewer .It was literally bursting with corned beef.Also you have to try the Strawberry Cheesecake it was about 4 inches tall .Definately not the place for a weightwatchers meeting

• RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Pastrami on Rye....

by RAINBOWWINGS Updated Apr 26, 2006

Pastrami on Rye..wheres the Rye?

We had seen this restaurant/cafe on a British TV travel programme and felt we should try and find it, so we headed off down 7th Avenue and there it was!! Packed to the gills with all nationalities enjoying a true American deli lunch, we were lucky to get the only four seats remaining. A bit of a struggle to get seated as the tables are long with benches either side and seat about a dozen people...our four were tucked up in the corner at the far end of the table,but with a few smiles and nods we managed to get our butts on the benches! The atmosphere in this place has to be felt not read about, with waiters balancing various plates trying to get between the tables and the high level chatter like the Tower of Babel....what a great place.

Favorite Dish: Being tourists what better to order than a pastrami on rye sandwich......well there was at least a pound of pastrami and not much rye!! A huge dish of pickles presented with the sandwiches was just about right. I stuck with the roast beef sandwich and there was equally the same amount of rare beef.....piles of it!!

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: One of the Best Deli's Around!

by MatthewMetcalfe Updated Apr 24, 2006

The Woody Allen!

The Carnegie Deli is a New York Landmark and rightly so. Huge Sandwiches and the New York Atmosphere let you know you are in the Big Apple.

Located on 7th Avenue and 55th Street, I really expected the place to be larger than it was. Getting there at 12:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, we waited for about 10 minutes before being seated.

Service was quick and friendly and the sandwich was awesome!

Favorite Dish: The Pastrami sandwich was outstanding and served warm. There is no better Pastrami than what you get at the Carnegie. Unless you are really hungry, go ahead and pay the $3.00 sharing fee and split a sandwich. It really is enough for two people.

Nothing comes with the sandwich so if you want chips, ask for them.

The Carnegie does start you off with a bowl of pickles. I prefer the sours to the half-sours. The pickles were fantastic.

They also offer a beer selection as well as Dr. Brown's Colas.

• Carnegie Deli: The famous Carnegie Deli Shop

by newbie_tourist Written Jan 7, 2006

I loved this place. The sandwiches are literally 10 inches high. When you enter the restaurant you are seated at the first available seats - you don't get individual tables, every sits together - kind of cool, great way to meet others. Many celebs have gone to Carnegies, their photos are plastered on the walls. Try the Woody Allen sandwich - it's like $12US but its great. NY style cheescake is a must too.

Favorite Dish: I had the roast beef sandwich with pickles, mustard, and sourkraut - sooo good.

• thetimidtraveller's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: For sandwiches bigger than you've ever seen

by thetimidtraveller Written Jan 4, 2006

A pic from their website

We saw a special on the food channel and knew that the next trip to NYC would have to include a visit. We were not disapointed. The place is wondeful. The staff make you feel at home and the acting president Sanford Levine even stopped by the table to make sure that we were finishing all of our meal, lol. Ok... the sandwiches are huge... there's no way that you are expected to finish the whole thing. The thing that I love is that this is one place where they do not chinz out on the quality of the product when they up the size of the meal. Delicious... yummy... wonderful. We even had to go for the cheesecake which was insanely thick and rich... must must must do it.

• luftmedic's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Mmmmm

by luftmedic Updated Nov 9, 2005
    now THIS is a sandwich!

The corned beef sandwich is huge and tasty and the cheesecake is incredible. Order it all and you won't have to eat for the rest of the day!
    If you go for lunch be prepared to line up but the wait is not too long. The tables are all very close together so be prepared to socialize.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: In search of the authentic Delicatessen

by goingsolo Updated May 17, 2005

New York City

Although you can sample just about any type of cuisine in New York, the old fashioned delicatessens are one of the most popular types of restaurant. These are the places with sandwiches so large they hardly fit in your hand, let alone your mouth, potato pancakes the size of dinner plates and matzo ball soup that can pass for the real thing. One of my must do experiences while in New York is to have all three. It creates a dent in the wallet and a sizable bulge in the belly, but both are worthwhile sacrifices for real pastrami on rye.

My personal favorite and, in my opinion, better than Stage and the 2nd Avenue Deli, is the Carnegie deli. Most New Yorkers and many tourists will have an opinion on the best delis in New York, and there are tons to choose from. If you've never had deli before, or never had real deli, this is the City for experiencing it.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami sandwiches, potato pancakes and matzo ball soup.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Best Deli in the City

by TRimer Updated Feb 15, 2005

Carnegie Deli

While the corner of 7th Ave. and 54/55th streets are teeming with deli's- the place to go is The Carnegie. This deli is renowned for its pastrami and corned beef sandwiches, which are home-cured and deliciously briny, rich but not fatty, and thicker than a Russian novel. One of my fondest memories of this place was meeting my parents before the ballet with a co-worker. He ordered a ham sandwich with milk- definately NOT what a jewish family was expecting to see.

Favorite Dish: Better go with an appetite. These are the biggest sandwiches that I have ever seen.

Their tender beef brisket also should not be missed. Other favorites are the chubby cheese blintzes with sour cream (i always order this), succulent baked short ribs with mashed potatoes, Nova Scotia salmon omelet, and stuffed cabbage with sweet and sour sauce. Their cheesecake will bring you to your knees. Be sure to order your with a Dr. Brown's soda.

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: I wonder why it draws so many people.........

by Dutchnatasja Written Jan 13, 2005

The long waiting line at the Carnegie Deli

The Carnegie Deli is renowned for its pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. Although I have never tasted one of those sandwiches (I don’t like huge sandwiches with more meat than bread), I’ve read a lot about it. The most were positive, but there were also a few negative reviews. Anyway this famous deli draws big crowds, and mostly you’ll see long waiting lines on the sidewalk. Sometimes the lines are a half block long! I wonder why it draws so many people; is it really the corned beef sandwich which they say it’s delicious or is it that they are able to say: "I ate at the Carnegie Deli"???

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Carnegie Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars