Carnegie Deli, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 30 Reviews

854 7th Avenue (at 55th Street)

Cheese cake
    by Fernandocramos
    Wood Allen pastrami sandwich
    by Fernandocramos
    huge sandwich!
    by Arial_27
  • kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: The biggest portions in the world ever!

by kentishgirl Updated Nov 3, 2004

Well, the waitresses were rude, ASKED for a tip! But the food was amazing and it seems that everyone who visits NYC visits Carnegie, Do not make the mistake of ordering a burger AND chips - just one will be enough!!
    The portions were huge!

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburger -well I managed half!

• alanhaggart's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Arrive Hungry!!!!!

by alanhaggart Written Oct 20, 2004

Sunday mid-morning line

We thought we'd beat the line by arriving at 11.15am on a Sunday - but the line was already stretching down 7th Avenue. We managed to skip the queue because there were some large groups ahead of us and a table for two was available. Once inside, our order was taken quickly and delivered equally promptly. The free pickles were lovely and fresh, and the "Woody Allen" sandwich (pastrami and corned beef combo) was colossal; we just managed to finish between the two of us, and we are big eaters! No room for cheesecake - we'll just have to go back. Price was less than I'd been led to expect - $14.95 plus $3 sharing fee.

Favorite Dish: Any sandwich - just remember to skip breakfast that day (and maybe dinner the night before).

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Just as good as advertised!

by ATXtraveler Written May 23, 2004

Awning at Carnegie Deli, NYC

Well, as many times as I had talked to someone in NYC for restaurant choices, they had mentioned Carnegie Deli... so I finally tried it. I am now hooked, and will be going back early and often!

The sandwich was absolutely huge, but just as good as everyone mentioned!

Favorite Dish: Hot Pastrami on Rye... all the way!

Don't forget the cheesecake for dessert!

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Carnegie Deli - Midtown

by Jehcekah Written Apr 6, 2004

Carnegie Deli

What can I say? It's famous! And rightfully so.

The Corned Beef melts in your mouth. The Cheesecake is the best in the land. And they give you free pickles!!

The sandwiches are huge! We shared the Corned Beef (an extra $3.00 is charged when sharing) and a piece of Cheesecake. We were very happily full when we left! The food was excellent!

The walls are decorated with photos of famous deli visitors and old pictures of the deli. It is a small restaurant, but there is usually no problem in getting a table. We were seated immediately and served very quickly.

Every trip to New York needs to include a Carnegie Deli sandwich!

• 10028's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: There's always room for pastrami

by 10028 Written Mar 30, 2004

The Carnegie's

New Yorkers are fiercely loyal when it comes to delis, and the most famous -- The Carnegie, Katz's, Second Ave. Deli -- each has fans. These are not pretty restaurants, they're old and decrepit. And the Carnegie even has cramped communal seating. Forget about details, the Carnegie is a deli lover's shrine. Order up a pastrami sandwich on rye (just ask for a "pistol") and wash it down with a Dr. Brown's black cherry soda, and keep your portable defibrillator handy. It's worth the $3 sharing charge to split one of these monster sandwiches, they'll give you extra bread and you can each make a full meal. If there's room, their cheesecake is wonderful too.

• GregCF's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Sandwiches That Are Larger Than Life

by GregCF Updated Jan 16, 2004

Wandering through the streets of Midtown Manhattan, my friend and I knew it would be a sin to travel to New York City and not eat at a deli. We went on a quest to find the best deli in town, albeit too many to try. The battle went back and forth between two-- Katz Deli, and Carnegie Deli. After many phone calls to friends and family in Texas, Connecticut, and Washington, DC, Carnegie Deli won with great appeal. At lunch time there was guaranteed to be a line, but it was well worth the 5-10 minute wait. After being seated, our waiter promptly took our order, filling it quickly. The turkey sandwich I had was enough for two, and I’m a serious eater. Although there is a fee for sharing, I strongly suggest sharing your dish. Cheesecakes are as cliché to New York, as any Deli or Pizzerias. However, after eating sandwiches of gargantuan proportions, we had to come back later that night for dessert, and of course, we had the New York cheesecake. The cheesecake was also larger than life. You can easily share this dessert just like the sandwich. I have never been a fan of cheesecake, but after the first bite, I was eating a slice of paradise. I would recommend Carnegie Deli to anyone looking for a truly momentous experience. Be warned that the portions are huge, and you will be guaranteed to have a friendly encounter with other guest to the restaurant. This is a true New York City experience, far better than any of the over priced restaurants located at near by Time Square.

• shekaago's Profile Photo

The Carnegie Deli: Plenty Of Delis In New York!

by shekaago Updated Jul 9, 2003

The Carnegie Deli

Not the least expensive deli in Manhattan but the food is great and the sandwiches are big enough to share. If you like deli food, you'll love this place. Corned beef, hot pastrami, all-beef franks, chopped liver, kreplach soup, hot or cold borscht, omelettes - you name it.... they've got it. They also make a great egg cream and the cheesecake is to die for!
    Typical deli atmosphere with photos of famous people decorating the walls. Oh... and they bring a bowl of tasty pickles to your table to nosh on while you look over the menu.

Favorite Dish: I love chicken soup with kreplach and the Carnegie Deli has the best I've ever had!

• Carnegie Deli: Jewish Deli and NYC landmark

by wanderlusts Updated Jan 6, 2003

From the photo on the wall you will know anybody who is somebody been here. There is a separate shrine of formal US president Bill Clinton. The waiter/waitress are fun to watch! Do not take anything they say personal.

Favorite Dish: Matzol Ball Soup
    Pastrami Sandwich
    Chop Liver
    Cheese Cake

Trust me, you have to make a few trip to be able to sample them all!

• Carnegie Deli. This place is...

by Club Written Sep 7, 2002

Carnegie Deli. This place is super for sandwiches and the like. Last one I had was a briskett.
    Very original in it's own way

Favorite Dish: Briskett,Cornbeef,pastrami,their soups. And things I love picking at ie;Pickles.

• dawgfan's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: You'll definitely get full!

by dawgfan Written Feb 25, 2006

The extensive menu take hours to read and the portions are huge. I had a pastrami and egg sandwich that was literally the size of any three sandwiches I'd every seen before.

• mig7410's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Holy Mound of corned beef, Batman

by mig7410 Written Dec 19, 2003
    Carnegie Deli

If anybody ask if you know the way to Carnegie Hall, just say its across the street from Carnegie Deli.
    A New York staple, fun and good.

Favorite Dish: Reuben, piled high with corned beef.

• acemj's Profile Photo

by acemj Updated Nov 6, 2003

Another city institution.

Favorite Dish: Everything's incredible. Pastrami, Corned Beef. All the usual NYC deli meats!

• gemmi's Profile Photo

CARNEGIE DELI with no doubt!: CARNEGIE DELI with no doubt!

by gemmi Written Aug 26, 2002

The walls are full of photographs of famous people who has been there.
    The sandwiches are very, very huge... but great.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami sandwich and the best cheesecake in the world.

• Paula1971's Profile Photo

When in NYC you have to go to...

by Paula1971 Written Aug 26, 2002

When in NYC you have to go to the Carnegie Deli. The sandwiches are sky-high and the cheesecake is out of this world!!! The wait staff is also fantastic.

• Kay_C's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Carnegie Deli

by Kay_C Written Aug 25, 2002

This is a NYC institution - I try to go here every time I am in the city. The sandwiches are HUGE!

Favorite Dish: The most incredible corned beef sandwich in the world!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Carnegie Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars