Carnegie Deli, New York City

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Huge portions

by Dabs Updated Aug 4, 2007

Last visit 7/12/07

The Carnegie Deli is well known for it's huge deli sandwiches, in particular corned beef and pastrami. I had my first corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli several years ago so on my 2nd visit to NYC I made a repeat visit when there by myself and a 3rd visit when I was there with my in laws in 2007. The sandwiches are huge, big enough for two people to share, and expensive at around $13.

I've eaten in twice but the 1st time we got it to go and took it back to our hotel, you're also very close to Central Park and could easily take it and have a picnic and avoid all those silly sharing and per person limits. There's nothing particularly exciting about eating inside the restaurant so I'd recommend getting it to go if it's an option.

My most recent visit was with 3 kids and 3 adults. Now the kids would never be able to finish a sandwich on their own so they split one and my sister in law and me split a corned beef and we got hit with 2 $3 sharing charges which is clearly stated on the menu but annoying nevertheless. They also state that there is a minimum $12.50 charge per person, our bill was slightly less than that but after the included service and tax our bill was $100! If the food wasn't good, I'd probably move this tip over to tourist traps, I could get a similar meal in Chicago for about 1/2 the price and no attitude...

Favorite Dish: The corned beef and pastrami are both excellent.

I was going to try a piece of cheesecake but the portions of that are also enormous, enough for a whole family to share.

Nieces and nephews outside Carnagie Deli Carnegie Deli Nephew and nieces pose with a pickle

• 10028's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: There's always room for pastrami

by 10028 Written Mar 30, 2004

New Yorkers are fiercely loyal when it comes to delis, and the most famous -- The Carnegie, Katz's, Second Ave. Deli -- each has fans. These are not pretty restaurants, they're old and decrepit. And the Carnegie even has cramped communal seating. Forget about details, the Carnegie is a deli lover's shrine. Order up a pastrami sandwich on rye (just ask for a "pistol") and wash it down with a Dr. Brown's black cherry soda, and keep your portable defibrillator handy. It's worth the $3 sharing charge to split one of these monster sandwiches, they'll give you extra bread and you can each make a full meal. If there's room, their cheesecake is wonderful too.

The Carnegie's

• GregCF's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Sandwiches That Are Larger Than Life

by GregCF Updated Jan 16, 2004

Wandering through the streets of Midtown Manhattan, my friend and I knew it would be a sin to travel to New York City and not eat at a deli. We went on a quest to find the best deli in town, albeit too many to try. The battle went back and forth between two-- Katz Deli, and Carnegie Deli. After many phone calls to friends and family in Texas, Connecticut, and Washington, DC, Carnegie Deli won with great appeal. At lunch time there was guaranteed to be a line, but it was well worth the 5-10 minute wait. After being seated, our waiter promptly took our order, filling it quickly. The turkey sandwich I had was enough for two, and I’m a serious eater. Although there is a fee for sharing, I strongly suggest sharing your dish. Cheesecakes are as cliché to New York, as any Deli or Pizzerias. However, after eating sandwiches of gargantuan proportions, we had to come back later that night for dessert, and of course, we had the New York cheesecake. The cheesecake was also larger than life. You can easily share this dessert just like the sandwich. I have never been a fan of cheesecake, but after the first bite, I was eating a slice of paradise. I would recommend Carnegie Deli to anyone looking for a truly momentous experience. Be warned that the portions are huge, and you will be guaranteed to have a friendly encounter with other guest to the restaurant. This is a true New York City experience, far better than any of the over priced restaurants located at near by Time Square.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Just as good as advertised!

by ATXtraveler Written May 23, 2004

Well, as many times as I had talked to someone in NYC for restaurant choices, they had mentioned Carnegie Deli... so I finally tried it. I am now hooked, and will be going back early and often!

The sandwich was absolutely huge, but just as good as everyone mentioned!

Favorite Dish: Hot Pastrami on Rye... all the way!

Don't forget the cheesecake for dessert!

Awning at Carnegie Deli, NYC

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Carnegie Deli - Midtown

by Jehcekah Written Apr 6, 2004

What can I say? It's famous! And rightfully so.

The Corned Beef melts in your mouth. The Cheesecake is the best in the land. And they give you free pickles!!

The sandwiches are huge! We shared the Corned Beef (an extra $3.00 is charged when sharing) and a piece of Cheesecake. We were very happily full when we left! The food was excellent!

The walls are decorated with photos of famous deli visitors and old pictures of the deli. It is a small restaurant, but there is usually no problem in getting a table. We were seated immediately and served very quickly.

Every trip to New York needs to include a Carnegie Deli sandwich!

Carnegie Deli

• Bursland's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Don't go without a large appetite

by Bursland Updated May 29, 2006

This is undoubtedly the best Deli that I have visted .We went at about 11:00 am which seemed to be the right time just between breakfast and lunch.There were no queues and we got a table straight away. When we left at about 12:45 there was a queue down the street.

Favorite Dish: The menu is extensive and the portions are mega. I had a Woody Allen sandwich which was so big it had to be held together with a skewer .It was literally bursting with corned beef.Also you have to try the Strawberry Cheesecake it was about 4 inches tall .Definately not the place for a weightwatchers meeting

Outside on 7th Avenue Start with a Woody Allen Finish with Strawberry Cheescake

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: I wonder why it draws so many people.........

by Dutchnatasja Written Jan 13, 2005

The Carnegie Deli is renowned for its pastrami and corned beef sandwiches. Although I have never tasted one of those sandwiches (I don’t like huge sandwiches with more meat than bread), I’ve read a lot about it. The most were positive, but there were also a few negative reviews. Anyway this famous deli draws big crowds, and mostly you’ll see long waiting lines on the sidewalk. Sometimes the lines are a half block long! I wonder why it draws so many people; is it really the corned beef sandwich which they say it’s delicious or is it that they are able to say: "I ate at the Carnegie Deli"???

The long waiting line at the Carnegie Deli

• shekaago's Profile Photo

The Carnegie Deli: Plenty Of Delis In New York!

by shekaago Updated Jul 9, 2003

Not the least expensive deli in Manhattan but the food is great and the sandwiches are big enough to share. If you like deli food, you'll love this place. Corned beef, hot pastrami, all-beef franks, chopped liver, kreplach soup, hot or cold borscht, omelettes - you name it.... they've got it. They also make a great egg cream and the cheesecake is to die for!
    Typical deli atmosphere with photos of famous people decorating the walls. Oh... and they bring a bowl of tasty pickles to your table to nosh on while you look over the menu.

Favorite Dish: I love chicken soup with kreplach and the Carnegie Deli has the best I've ever had!

The Carnegie Deli

• alanhaggart's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Arrive Hungry!!!!!

by alanhaggart Written Oct 20, 2004

We thought we'd beat the line by arriving at 11.15am on a Sunday - but the line was already stretching down 7th Avenue. We managed to skip the queue because there were some large groups ahead of us and a table for two was available. Once inside, our order was taken quickly and delivered equally promptly. The free pickles were lovely and fresh, and the "Woody Allen" sandwich (pastrami and corned beef combo) was colossal; we just managed to finish between the two of us, and we are big eaters! No room for cheesecake - we'll just have to go back. Price was less than I'd been led to expect - $14.95 plus $3 sharing fee.

Favorite Dish: Any sandwich - just remember to skip breakfast that day (and maybe dinner the night before).

Sunday mid-morning line

• Carnegie Deli: Was good deli food

by LovemySpouse Updated Nov 30, 2009

We went today around 2pm and walked right in. I got the Woody allen sandwich, which was HUGE and it was really tasty..I didn't know what to expect and thought it would be dry so got some mayo on the side and the nice waiter brought me 1,000 island dressing and said to put it on with some cole slaw as it was his favorite. I only ended up eating one piece of the bread with his combination (and it was tasty) and then some extra meat as it was quite moist on its own, and took all the rest home. Hubby had the hot roast beef sandwich with fries and said it was okay except he didn't like the bread (was caraway I believe, same as mine) We took a slice of cheesecake home and it was enough for two people to share...it was nice strawberry cheesecake, I've had better crusts, but it was creamy.
    Overall it was a good deli, the bill looks a little high but you have to take into consideration how much meat you get and take home, so it is reasonable... we paid a whole lot more at the tavern on the green and got a whole lot less plus tasteless food. As mentioned by others, you have to pay cash and share a table with other families as it is small.
    I would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind crowds and who likes deli.

• Fernandocramos's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Just to say we were there.

by Fernandocramos Updated Mar 19, 2008

It was just to say we where there. We didnt like it so much, ok that is a big sandwich but with ordinary taste.You can share the sandwich but you have to pay an extra for this. The service was terrible, the waiter wants you to eat fast and leave fast and the place is very noisy. We tryed the Wood Allen sandwich with pastrami but it was not what we were waiting for.
    The only think we loved was the cheese cake, the better one I taste in my life, its a worth visit just because of the cheese cake.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was the desert, a cheese cake with strawberry

Wood Allen pastrami sandwich Cheese cake

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: The biggest portions in the world ever!

by kentishgirl Updated Nov 3, 2004

Well, the waitresses were rude, ASKED for a tip! But the food was amazing and it seems that everyone who visits NYC visits Carnegie, Do not make the mistake of ordering a burger AND chips - just one will be enough!!
    The portions were huge!

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburger -well I managed half!

• RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Pastrami on Rye....

by RAINBOWWINGS Updated Apr 26, 2006

We had seen this restaurant/cafe on a British TV travel programme and felt we should try and find it, so we headed off down 7th Avenue and there it was!! Packed to the gills with all nationalities enjoying a true American deli lunch, we were lucky to get the only four seats remaining. A bit of a struggle to get seated as the tables are long with benches either side and seat about a dozen people...our four were tucked up in the corner at the far end of the table,but with a few smiles and nods we managed to get our butts on the benches! The atmosphere in this place has to be felt not read about, with waiters balancing various plates trying to get between the tables and the high level chatter like the Tower of Babel....what a great place.

Favorite Dish: Being tourists what better to order than a pastrami on rye sandwich......well there was at least a pound of pastrami and not much rye!! A huge dish of pickles presented with the sandwiches was just about right. I stuck with the roast beef sandwich and there was equally the same amount of rare beef.....piles of it!!

Pastrami on Rye..wheres the Rye?

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: Giant sandwiches

by Arial_27 Written Apr 25, 2007

This place was definately what it is cracked up to be! We went there expecting to get a true NYC experience, with rude waiters and such but they actually turned out to be very courteous and nice. The food was interesting but delicious! it had the biggest sandwiches I'd ever seen in my life with LOADS of meat on them (this place isn't ideal for vegetarians.) I'm avegetarian, and the only thing I could find in the menu sufficient enough to fill me up was cheesecake - so thats what I got! And it was the most DELICIOUS cheesecake I've ever tried in my life. Highly recommend going here, it is a lot of fun and a true NY experience.

I'd recommend probably sharing one sandwich between two people (ask the waiter about the size) because it is quite a bit of meat. Everything here is oversized, including the cheesecake, which I had to share with someone else.

Favorite Dish: Definately the cheesecake, the only thingI could eat. It was heavenly. It had the largest strawberries I'd ever seen on top of a cake, and it tasted creamy and soft somehow, it melted in your mouth. I'd definately recommend this for desert! (Or for dinner if you're a veggie.)

huge sandwich!

• thetimidtraveller's Profile Photo

Carnegie Deli: For sandwiches bigger than you've ever seen

by thetimidtraveller Written Jan 4, 2006

We saw a special on the food channel and knew that the next trip to NYC would have to include a visit. We were not disapointed. The place is wondeful. The staff make you feel at home and the acting president Sanford Levine even stopped by the table to make sure that we were finishing all of our meal, lol. Ok... the sandwiches are huge... there's no way that you are expected to finish the whole thing. The thing that I love is that this is one place where they do not chinz out on the quality of the product when they up the size of the meal. Delicious... yummy... wonderful. We even had to go for the cheesecake which was insanely thick and rich... must must must do it.

A pic from their website

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Carnegie Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars