Cornelia Street Cafe, New York City

cafe nuit
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Cornelia Street Cafe: My favorite place to hang, eat & peepwatch

by davequ Updated Feb 25, 2009

Manhattan, even the West Village is imo not as fertile as Paris when looking for outdoor terrace cafes,
    but this is my favorite place in Manhattan to hang out & pass the time.

Cornelia Street Cafe has it all: good food, wine & coffee, a scenic street abundant with restaurants & shops, eye candy(warning: travel-cliche alert), colorful foot traffic, and a shaded terrace - everything I need to survive.

Talented local artists get to exhibit their latest on the walls inside, and there is even a small cabaret downstairs for poetry readings and live music.

(point of trivia):
    The first performance of the play Vagina Monologues (if you're into vaginas) was in the basement of the Cornelia Street Café in 1996. Famous Movie Quote: " I LUV the scent of vaginas in the morning, washed down with a nicely chilled, chewy & fruity glass of Zin ..."

Cornelia's staff is usually very friendly & helpful to me with no attitude.

I think you can always judge a "scene" or hangout by the quality & originality of the people you end up watching or bumping into & chatting with, and I give this place a 9+.

Can get crowded during peak lunch / dinner hours and sometimes this puts a slight strain on service. Try to hit Cornelia (and the sun will be just right) sometime between 3 and 4 pm to catch it at what I think is its best time.

Cornelia Street Cafe may not be for everybody but anytime I'm in Manhattan and want to do some high-quality "nothing" time, more often than not this is where I'll be.

Favorite Dish: Some mags call it a "nouveau - bistro" (barf).
    Check out the Menu and call it what you want.

Everything I've tried here is good, from soup to burgers to steak frites, but last time I had the Boudin Blanc and it was tasty also.

Damn good winelist for a cafe.

uncut boudin blanc cafe nuit

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Cornelia Street Cafe
4.0 out of 5 stars