Frank, New York City

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Frank: Very small good Italian

by cjg1 Updated Apr 8, 2009

Ilko at Frank 20 July 2004

Best Of: Sidewalk Seating, Date. Wow. This place has just started taking reservations for parties over 8. My first time we went for a Labor day weekend meeting. Mark, acemj, was in town and we met with him and a couple of his friends. I come back here often although with a group it is very hard. And its first come first serve for the group table when making the reservations. There is only the one. It will hold up to 18 comfortably and more if you really push it.

We recently came here to meet up with Vivian for dinner. Liz and I had drinks at the bar but by the time Vivian arived the place was too jam packed and we decided to go elsewhere for dinner.

Please note. The entire restaurant is CASH ONLY.

Favorite Dish: I had the Tagliata. Didnt know what it was but would order it again now that I do. Just what I needed actually so it all worked out.

This is on the New York Magazine top cheap eats list for 2003 and the crowd shows it.

My brother is seen here eating the baked chicken in mid 2004. One of the better menu items available although some would argue the mashed potatoes they give with it is the reason to order. I myself finally went with the roasted rosemary chicken as it is called on the menu at the VT Meeting here October 23, 2006

This is also, in the words of one of our favorite party planners, THE place to get a blonde in the city. And as she will be very happy to hear, they are again serving blondes in here.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Frank: Fantastic Cheap Eat!!

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 25, 2008

My ravioli

Frank has been a gathering place for many years now, and why not? With its home made dishes and excellent home cooking, every meal is sure to be a good one. Their prices are super cheap and you honestly feel like you're eating at Grandma's.

CASH ONLY

Favorite Dish: One of my favorite dishes is their ravioli with asiago cheese, my friend usually orders the tagliata toscana or the roasted rosemary chicken along with a glass of their Leffe Blonde, Yum!!

• Frank: Excellent italian in fun atmosphere

by willtryanythingonce Written Nov 30, 2007

A literal "hole in the wall", this small space serves up big flavor! Don't be concerned about the possible wait for a table or the "tight" dining space - the food makes up for it. Extensive wine list (much more reasonable than by the glass) - had the Sangiovese and enjoyed every drop! Specials on the chalk board, bruschetta appetizer totally fresh (even in November) and pasta cooked perfectly. Waiters are knowledgable - or, just stop at the bar for a drink. Don't walk past it - doesn't say "Frank" on the outside so watch for the address!

Favorite Dish: Bruschetta appetizer, rigatoni al ragu, tagliatelle with truffles (special). Can't go wrong with anything.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Frank: Superb quality food

by martin_nl Updated Apr 16, 2007
    Pan seared trout

I had the pan seared trout here as a main dish and it was excellent. Crispy and juicy, just like fresh trout should be. It was served on garlic flavoured broccoli. They also have Belgian beer on tap, so the feast is complete. I had a tiramisu as dessert and that was delicious too. Make sure to reserve a table since the place is pretty small. You can also eat alongside the bar.

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo

Frank: Great Itanian place

by irishgalmtl Updated Dec 14, 2006

The restaurant was on the small side, But the food made It worth going to. Cosy atmosphere It was a great place for a VT meeting as I had went there with 2 vters. A great choice.
    Sorry no pic I will have to take one the next time that I go.
    The place is a CASH ONLY.

Favorite Dish: The food was absolutely great I had the roasted rosemary chicken, the potatoes were to die for.
    I recommend that you try the roasted rosemary chicken.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Frank: Thanks Geisha . . .

by acemj Updated Sep 1, 2003

Well, Geisha Girl, I've never met you, but I must thank you for a good restaurant recommendation. Chris (cjg1) and our VT gang met up here in August of 2003 and had a good time getting to know each other. The place is typically small for a Village eatery and you'll see plenty of trendy folks. The wait staff are dressed like the rest of the crowd, so just look for the young, attractive, stressed looking guy or gal carrying three plates with a pen in his or her ear.

Favorite Dish: I had a fava bean vegetarian dish of some kind. It was good and perfect for me on this particular night since I wasn't too hungry, but it could have had a slightly more bold flavorful. After all, this is NYC. Who needs subtlety?

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Frank: Lunch with Frank (or was it Tom?)

by Geisha_Girl Written Dec 6, 2002

I had lunch in the city with a guy named TOM at a restaurant called FRANK........or was it FRANK who took me to TOM'S DINER???

Anyhow.... it was the best dive EYE-talian restaurant I had in the city thus far. Cheap prices, and an outstanding menu (if you can ready the fading chalk on the blackboard tacked up on the wall)

There's no sign on the outside, so you'll just have to ask any Sam, Joe, or Wilbert you see on the street if they know where FRANK is. The New Yawkers will certainly know what you're talking about (it's a popular joint!), but the tourists will just look at you funny and cling tightly to their purses as they walk right past you!

Favorite Dish: The Leffe Blond beer!! It was the first place in the states where I found this scrumptious ice cold import!

On a hot Manhattan afternoon, a pint of this stuff can taste like a creamsicle!!!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Frank
4.0 out of 5 stars