Frankie & Johnnie's, New York City

Their Business Card.
  • seamandrew's Profile Photo

Frankie & Johnnie's: A spectacular Steakhouse in Mid-town

by seamandrew Written Jul 30, 2006

Frankie & Johnnie's on West 37th.

This was one of several restaurants I tried during restaurant week of 2006. This was however the only one I tried for dinner. Frankie & Johnnie's actually has 4 locations including one in my city of residence (Hoboken, NJ). This was my first time at either of their establishments and I went to the one on 37th street which is one of two in mid-town Manhattan. The atmosphere in the restaurant is top-notch, and the service is impeccable. We had a small mistake with our porterhouse for 3 (looked like it was for 1) and they quickly corrected it by giving us an extra filet no questions asked. Their menu and wine selection was fantastic, and we had to order from their main menu as their restaurant week menu was lousy. I would certainly love to go back there, but it's tough with a vegetarian wife. Elisabeth was a away on vacation and I went with colleagues at work.

Favorite Dish: The porterhouse is spectacular and they really know how to prepare a steak medium-rare!

• Wine Tasting

• llauraa's Profile Photo

Franky and Johnny's Steakhouse: Best Steak ever - But be Warned Expensive!!!!

by llauraa Written Dec 14, 2004

By the name of it we thought this might be something alongs the line of Black Angus or the Hogs Breath Cafe or some similar mid-range steak restaurant. We looked it up in the phone book. Well no way, this was an expensive all-out, black tie affair and we wandered in, in jeans and runners and turtlenecks. And they still sat us even though it was so dark we almost needed a torchlight to get upstairs. Lucky the glow of the waiters white aprons showed the way. The place was still dark upstairs with tables under one dim light each. I could almost picture Frank Sinatra and a few pals up the back. We had about 4 waiters to the one table. Should a been a sign that it was going to be expensive as all heck, but we REALLYstarted to get worried when the bread came out and there was about 10 different varieties. Our fears were justified when the menus came and i think our faces went as white as the waiters aprons. Cheapest item on there was an individual vegetable...yes thats right...one vegetable..you had to order them one by one at $8 US each. I kid you not. The Steaks started at $35 each...and that was just for the cheapest cut . You had to buy your onions or potatoes to go with it. I was incredulous...paying seperately for onions???? What to do...we had already taken a bite from the bread and drank their water...we had 4 waiters surrounding our booth...maybe the saw the horror on our faces and we ready to bolt??? So for the sake of saving face and being too embarassed to run...we talked ouselves into it and ordered a steak each...mollifying ourselves with lines well we would have spent that much on drinks if we went to a bar...and we were on holiday...and what the heck was money anyway yada yada...well you know what we mean...so ordered the steak

Favorite Dish: Well I do have to say - this was the nicest, the, best and biggest most perfectly cooked hugest...tenderest..did I say BIG??? piece of steak I have ever had in my life. If you are a steak lover....and you can afford the treat...go here [ just take your own vegetables, k?] Unbelievable - it was like a foot long and 4 inches high, cooked to perfection, still spitting and sizzling when they bought it out and just fell off the knife when cutting it. It was so good had to keep eating it even when was only half through and was groaning I was so full. Was it worth the $50 US? { I had to have onions and potatoes and at least one green vegetable. c'mon} well the meat was....not the sides...eat a salad before you go...and go have a Frank and Johnny steak. It was incredible...!!!

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Frankie & Johnnie's
3.5 out of 5 stars