Heartland Brewery, New York City

5 Locations to choose from in New York. (646) 366-0235

• Turska's Profile Photo

Heartland brewery: Great local beers

by Turska Written Jun 23, 2014

After visiting the Empire state building, and not got the chance to toast up there for our anniversary day, what would have been better than do it at brewery restaurant (since beers are sort of hobby for us).
    We took a tasting board to try their own beers, and then we took two pints after choosing our favourites. If we wouldn´t have stayed in Brooklyn, we might have visited here more often, since we liked the place.
    They do have many places, and one other day we even ate at the other location. This first one was at Empire state building. The food was good also.

Favorite Dish: As a beer "friend" I must answer Red rooster ale.
    But I did also like the chicken sandwitch I had another day. My husband took a hamburger same day, and liked it.

• Beer Tasting

• tvor's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Mid town Manhattan brew pub

by tvor Written May 17, 2013

The location of the Heartland Brewery chain we went to is one of the newest ones. It is right next to Port Authority on 8th Ave. and it was around the corner from our hotel on 39th so it wasn't far to drag our tired feet after a long day of walking the streets of New York. It's a brew pub with their own ales. The atmosphere is relaxing and the food was very good. I also noticed quite a few gluten free choices which is becoming a more popular option these days.

They have a nice decor, with lots of vintage looking brewery themed posters and pictures. Lots to look at. The lighting is not bright but not dark either. Service was a tad slow but the food was good and hot when it arrived. Prices are a tad high but not shocking. Most things are more expensive in New York. Their own beers are quite nice, makes a change from the run of the mill national brands which are like water to my Canadian taste buds. There are several of these around the city, including one under the Empire State Building and one in Times Square.

• illtryanythingonce's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: A great lunch place while touring mid-town

by illtryanythingonce Written Jan 1, 2011

A great lunch place - much more than a "pub", even though it brews beer right in NYC. The restaurant is large, contemporary and upscale, but the food and prices make it seem more like a typical pub. Service is friendly, wait is minimal (even on a busy Marathon weekend) and food is delicious. Beers are interesting and fresh - very tasty pumpkin ale on our visit in November. More than one location means it is a "chain" but still worth trying. We ate at the Times Square location (Heartland Brewery & Chop House) and enjoyed ourselves!

Favorite Dish: Butternut squash soup and buffalo sliders - both really, really tasty!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

HEARTLAND BREWERY AND ROTISSERIE: Dinner at Empire State Building

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Nov 1, 2010

After spending several hours on the Empire State building to admire New York, the sunset and excited me with the sequence of lights that were lit, I had a wonderful dinner at Heartland Brewery. It is located on the ground floor of the Empire State Building on the 5th Av.
    The food was great and the ambience very good with a large bar with a list of beer very interesting.

Favorite Dish: My experience at Heartland Brewery was very positive. The ambience was very nice with friendly people. The food was very good and the price right. I tasted the delicious Skirt Steak: 12 oz. “Roumanian Tenderloin” with a great, rich flavor and jerb roasted potatoes. Here I taste a very good beer: Summertime Apricot Ale, a summer wheat ale with a light, fruit sweetness and a pleasant bouquet of fresh apricots.

View from the top of Empire

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Not Worth It

by Babzz Updated Dec 16, 2008

We ate at the one in the Empire State Building. Restaurant looked nice, but the food was expensive and unsatisfying. We were unhappy with the dry calamari appetizer, the WAY overcooked pasta (read: mush), and the ribs drowned in BBQ sauce. Service was a bit slow, though we were luckier than our neighbouring diners, who were waiting for their bill for quite some time. Beer was nice - thank goodness for that!

• KaterinaJordan's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Check the cheque!!

by KaterinaJordan Written Feb 13, 2008

Nice food, not something extraordinary.

When the cheque arrived we noticed that after adding the taxes they have added 18% as tip!!!!

To my knowledge we should decide about the tip!!!!!

Tip is not compulsory and you give as much as you want as it depends on your satisfaction. But not 18% AND AFTER THE TAXES!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Eat in the Empire State Building

by Paul2001 Written Oct 6, 2007

The Heartland Brewery and Rotisserie is a chain of beer halls and restaurants that are suppose to have a German flavour. I emphasis "suppose to" because having been to many a real German beerhall, I would not say that this is a very good replica. There are six such restaurants in all scattered around the major tourists areas of New York hence you should not be surprised if you feel like you are in a tourist trap. I say this because the food was rather ordinary. I had ribs and to be honest they were nothing to get excited about. The real pride and joy of the place is the beer which they brew themselves. It was good but not extraordinary that I would go out my way to have. Actually I only ate here because the restaurant was just two blocks from my hotel and I was in a rush.

The Heartland Brewery at 34th St. and 5th Ave.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Great Beer

by Agraichen Updated Jul 1, 2007

Good Beer, what else do you need? I tried all 6 of the standard pours and 2 (of 4) of the "seasonal" selection. All were well done. Most seemed a bit light, but I'm used to CA Micro Brews that have lots of hops or malt.

I've recommened our local pub to see about a few kegs for one of our "Pint Night" activities. with 5 locations now, Heartland seems to have gained a great following in NYC.

Favorite Dish: Hmmm...The pulled Pork was GREAT and the fried chicken just as good so....it a toss. They did have a problem with "extra crispy" french fries however...not certain the cook knew what that "order" was about.

But, this was all about the beer...
    Seasonal Beers - these will change:
    Summertime Apricot Ale
    Grateful Red Lager (very good)
    Empire Premium Beer

House Brews (all the time):
    Indian River Light - as it says, quite light
    Cornhusker Lager - light and smooth little taste
    Harvest Wheat Beer - not bad for a wheat
    Indiana Pale Ale - Ok, but rather light in taste
    Red Rooster Ale - good red but again light in taste
    Farmer Jon's Oatmeal Stout - not Guinness but good.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Beer tasting at it's best

by martin_nl Written Apr 16, 2007

Heartland brewery has several outles in New York. We visited the branch on Union Square. I met up here with a couple of guys from VT. We sampled a couple of beers here around lunchtime before we actually had lunch. I forgot which beers I had, but I do remember that they were all very nice. If you're into beer, you need to go to the Hertland Brewery.

Craig Jude Vin Craig and Chris

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Consistently Good!

by ctorres1979 Updated Mar 28, 2007

I've been to two of their locations, the one in Union Square and the Times Square one, and each were consistently great quality.. both for the fresh brewed beer and their pub style food.

The service at both places was also fast and friendly

Favorite Dish: Great Burgers!!! and try the beer sampler too

• Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery & Chop House: A "must do" for beer lovers.

by Dutchnatasja Updated Oct 24, 2006

We went to the Heartland Brewery for a late afternoon lunch. It was a good choice. It was the first time we had lunch at a Heartland Brewery; folowing by more visits.

About Heartland Brewery

The Heartland Brewery has a dark-wood interior and mix of high-top tables near the front bar and deep wooden booths toward the back.

The food

Menu items range from expected starters, such as onion rings, mini-burgers and quesadillas to sandwiches and more adventurous items, such as grilled rib eye, steaks, whole lobster, shellfish and fresh pastas. This is the food I ordered in the past:

Traditional Fish & Chips
    Fresh Cod with tomato tartar sauce and fresh cut Idaho fries

This is one of my favourite if I want to keep it simple.

Fresh Salmon Burger
    On sesam brioche with lemon caper aioli & spicy fries

This was very good. The fish was fresh and the fries were very tasteful.

Chophouse Burger
    10 oz. Black Angus sirloin burger with fresh cut Idaho fries

You can’t go wrong with this one. The meat is juicy and well prepared.

Grilled Atlantic Salmon
    Served with rice pilaf

The fish was good. The rice was a nice change of food, knowing I ate a lot of fries the days before.

About the beer

Let’s talk about the beer. They have a good variety of fresh brewed beers and a lot of tasty seasonal beers. Our favourite is the “Old Red Nose Ale”. This is one good seasonal beer. The flavour is rummy, sweetness, orange and ginger. The body of this beer is full, rich, and spicy. You can order this beer in December and January.

Other info

Seasonal Sampler.
    You can order the Seasonal Sampler from the beer menu. It comes with five ounce samples of the bar's five house brews and three additional beers, which change every couple of months. All for $12.95.

Pre-theater menu
    The pre-theater menu (available from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.) offers several choices of entrée, appetizer and dessert for under $25.

Favorite Dish: The salmon burger on sesam brioche with tomato tartar sauce and crispy fries. And not to forget the Old Red Nose Ale. (only available in December and January)

Heartland Brewery

• SassyCycler's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Go for the Ale not the Food.

by SassyCycler Written Jul 3, 2006

Very loud. Just like any brewery. It's loud, sometimes hard to get seating near the bar. If you want to sit upstairs, you can usually get a booth. The food is okay, but better than your standard pub food. The highlight is the 12 ale sampler. 5 oz samples of 12 of their home brewed ales served on a lazy susan in order of lightest to darkest. The frou-frou ones tend to be made around the fall. It's a great place to sit in their outdoor seating area and watch the people in Union Square Park.

Favorite Dish: 12 Ale Sampler.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Great Beer and Hearty Food...

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Apr 27, 2006

There are a several Heartland Brewery Locations in New York CIty. I've visited two of them.

The First was the Radio City location. It was pretty busy and crowded and there was a little wait to be seated but nothing outrageous. The Food was excellent and there was plenty of it. The Beer is also very good.

The Second location (where the photos were taken) was at the South Street Seaport. It's located right across the street from the seaport. It's smaller and not quite as upscale as the Radio City Location but it has more character as well. After walking half of Manhattan Island, it was a welcome site with a cold refreshing beer waiting for us!

Favorite Dish: This is not your traditional New York Menu. The Food is more southern or western. They serve Ribs, Fried Chicken, and the sort. The menu varies slightly from location to location as well.

Things to try include the Fried Pickles. If you've never had one you are in for a treat. They are awesome.

The Beer is very good and they brew a variety of them including multiple seasonals. Unfortunately the Seasonal Stout was gone by the time I got there. Not to worry, the Farmer Jon Stout was available and was very good. The Indiana Pale was also good. They offer samplers as well if you want to try them all but still be able to function for the rest of the day.

South Street Heartland Brewery - BEER! Worth the long walk. I need another!

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: Great beer choice

by isolina_it Written Apr 20, 2006

After a couple of hours of queuing and visiting the Empire State Building, we couldnt help having some relax and refreshment at the Heartland Brewery inside.
    Already a NY friend of told us to stop there for a few drink and the place is really nice.
    We did not eat here but drinks are ok. Pale ale naturally in different tastes is great.
    Atmosphere is nice, both tourists and locals around, dark wood furniture.

Favorite Dish: Con-husker lager is quite refreshing and not too heavy

• joits's Profile Photo

Heartland Brewery: A touristy type of place...

by joits Written Mar 22, 2006

This restaurant is conveniently located in the Empire State Building for those of you in the area. The food is okay. There are probably better places to eat and certainly cheaper. I ordered a half-pound bison burger which was huge, but I've definitely had better burgers and fries. The prices are definitely "tourist prices" which means its a lot more expensive than it should be for that quality of food. The restaurant is similar to a Chilis or a TGI Fridays in the ambience and decor. If you gotta eat here... then be aware that you shouldn't expect anything amazing. The food will fill you up, nothing more.

This place does have a Unisex bathroom, something I haven't seen before. It's located downstairs.

Favorite Dish: Only ordered the Bison Burger which was okay. If you're hungry tho, this burger is a half-pound!

1/2 pound Bison Burger Interesting...

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels