Katz's Deli, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 43 Reviews

205 E. Houston, NYC 10002 212-254-2246

Well worth the trip here !!!!!!
    by jlanza29
    BEST on EARTH !!!!!!!
    by jlanza29
    In Katz's
    by toonsarah
  • Gatorsnakebirdbugluv's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Melt in my mouth harden my arteries heart attack

by Gatorsnakebirdbugluv Updated Jan 17, 2014

I wanted to go here even tho I felt guilty for being attracted to what I thought might be a touristy version of my pastrami dreams. It was wonderful. The pastrami was steamy, and had the perfect amount of melt in your mouth fat bordering the meat. The homemade pickles were awesome. It's crowded, but the security guy streamlines the entry and ordering process. They let you munch on a sample while they make your sandwich. The meat is cut to serve. It has a great atmosphere. It's expensive for a sandwich, but one sandwich fed two of us to satisfaction.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Katz's Delicatessen: The famous Katz Deli

by Gili_S Written Nov 10, 2012

This is the famous Katz's Delicatessen, one of the icon food places in Manhattan. Over 100 years old, this place is famous for its Pastrami sandwiches. It has becoming even more popular after a movie seen from Rob Reiner movie as well as being visited by some reality chef TV programs.

Favorite Dish: Of course, I had to take the Pastrami sandwich here. Yes, I admit the Pastrami meat is EXCELLENT. The sandwich and the beer I had with it, well, I was a tourist, it was OK but I wouldn't live on it if I was living here :)

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Probably the best sandwich on EARTH !!!!!

by jlanza29 Written Jul 13, 2012

BEST on EARTH !!!!!!!

Katz's deli open since the late 1800's has been in business for a reason ... IT IS AWESOME !!!!!!! The specialty is the pastrami with mustard on rye bread !!!! Such a simple sandwich, but you will not find a better one anywhere else on EARTH ... many argue the Carnegie Deli is better, but I don't believe so .... at least here you don't get the attitude. The staff here is friendly and will let you try the meats before they make your sandwich. Be warned ... CASH ONLY ..... as you enter you are given a ticket you then walk you walk up to the counter ... BE READY TO ORDER IF YOU STEP UP ....... if not stand to the side .... prices are NYC prices so don't be shocked ... Pastrami sandwich runs $14.95 plus $2.00 for a soda plus tax, your talking $20 easy ... BUT WELL WORTH IT ... and yes this is where they filmed "Where Harry meet Sally" and Yes there is a sign that shows you were Meg Ryan sat ... be warned also, come early because if you get late, the line goes out to the street ......

• t_cims's Profile Photo

Katz's Delicatessen: Delis, Sandwiches

by t_cims Written Oct 1, 2011

Is a typical deli and sandwich restaurant, with excellent and high quality, and since then they have also a lot of snacks that are god.

Also you can buy with you from their business and take home with you, very good.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

KATZ'S DELI: A THICK cornbeef and pastrami sandwich

by xymmot Updated May 13, 2011

A simple traditional deli, been there for years and I grew up 2 blocks away and was my favorite back then, 40 years ago

Favorite Dish: The cornbeef and pastrami sandwich is to die for...I get cravings 200 miles away and when I am in NYC, I have to stop by and get my fix....I also get a hot dog too and kill two birds with one stone

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Kat'z Deli: Yum Sandwhiches! More Pastrami Please!

by machomikemd Updated Nov 19, 2010
    front

this delicatessen near chinatown is a food icon in new york, famous for it's sandwiches especially the pastrami and i will do a two part food tip on Katz (for more pictures).

Favorite Dish: the pastrami and the corned Beef Sandwhiches what else!

• MINOSUKE's Profile Photo

Kat's Deli: Yummy, Juicy Pastrami Sandwich!

by MINOSUKE Updated Aug 19, 2010

This must be the most well-known and the most loved pastrami sandwich in New York.
    In that scene in Meg Ryan and Billy Cristal movie, 'When Harry Met Sally', Meg Ryan ate this sandwich. I found the same sandwich as Meg was eating, even though the movie was made more than 20 years ago.
    When you enter Kat's Deli, you will soon like the lively atmosphere and good smell of pastrami and cucumber pickles.

Favorite Dish: Of course, pastrami sandwich. The pastrami is very juicy and tasty. The black pepper has very nice smell.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Send a Salami to Your Boy in the Army

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 4, 2010

Katz's Deli

Katz's Deli, founded in 1888, is the New York Deli world's answer to the Hofbräuhaus -- crowded, touristy, and expensive. But, like the Hofbräuhaus, the product it serves is first-rate. Renowned for its preserved meats, particularly its pastrami, corned beef, and salami, Katz's made a name for itself in World War II because its hard salami was so resilient, it could actually be shipped to the troops. Hence the motto "send a salami to your boy in the Army" came into being. You can even ship a salami to the troops today if you want to -- check the website or ask at the counter for details.

Lots of celebrities have visited Katz's over the years -- from Bill Clinton to Sarah Jessica Parker. Then-Vice President Al Gore even brought Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin over for a bite. And probably the most famous visitors were the cast of "When Harry Met Sally." Yes, this was the place where Sally (Meg Ryan) filmed her famous "yes...yes...YES!" scene. The table she sat at is labeled, in case you want to re-live the movie. Want to have what she was having? According to the website, it was the brisket.

Favorite Dish: I had to try the pastrami on rye. I have to say it was the tenderest pastrami I had ever eaten. I washed it down with a bottle of house seltzer. The sandwich is quite large, so it can easily be shared by two people. Since I was alone, I ordered it "to go," ate half at the deli, then brought the other half home.

When you enter the Deli, you will be greeted with a hearty "How Ya Doin'?" and handed a ticket. Whatever you do, don't lose the ticket, as this is where your bill will be totaled when you exit (lose your ticket, and you pay 50 bucks). As you order your food and drinks, hand your ticket to the server, and he/she will add the appropriate amount to your bill. Even if you don't order anything, your ticket is your exit check.

• stevewall's Profile Photo

Katz' Deli: Good matzo ball soup.

by stevewall Written Jan 19, 2010

I had matzo ball soup which I thought was pretty good, a good pastrami sandwich and an excellent creamy cheesecake. My friend had a brisket sandwich. Unfortunately it was full with many tourists, but is was fun observing everyone including a guy wearing a Hell's Angle leather jacket from Switzerland!

Favorite Dish: The matzo ball soup. Nice and big, and soft, not like my mother's small canon balls!

• davequ's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: yes, ... Yes, .... YEESSS!!!!

by davequ Updated Oct 8, 2009

My fave deli for BIG pastrami or corned beef sandwiches.
    Two can get by on one sandwich they are so huge.Per the waitstaff (I agree): you shouldn't take it with you ... in other words, your sandwich is not nearly as good when reheated later, try & eat it all before you leave.Everyone has their fave NY Deli: Carnegie, 2nd Ave, etc.
    Katz is my favorite for both taste and location,
    and they stay open late (after 2am on weekends, see website). The sign out front says: - "Katz's, that's all"
    per Alan Dell the owner:
    “ This sign originated when Benny Katz hired the signmaker to make the sign,” Mr. Dell said. “The signmaker asked, ‘Well, what exactly do you want to have it say?’ and Benny said to the signmaker, ‘Katz’s, that’s all.’
    Sure enough he painted that on the sign! ”Here's a good descriptive & current NYTimes piece on the Katz experience.

NOTE: TICKET ALERT - when you enter they give you a "theater ticket" that you must redeem when you exit ( they do this to minimize theft ). Hang on to your little yellow 'theater' admission ticket,
    or you will have some esplanin' to do w/ the security guard on the way out.

Favorite Dish: Hot Pastrami w mustard & horseradish.
    If I shoot the moon, I start with chopped liver, a pastrami & egg salad sandwich, then cheesecake with either cherry or strawberry topping.

About $19 bucks for a sandwich & rootbeer (that's "tableservice" - it's a couple bucks cheaper if you get it yourself at the counter and sit at a middle table)

Probably $30+ for all the above, but it's enough for 2 and imo some of the best you'll ever eat.
    Ess gesunt!

Here's the menu

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Kat's Deli: for pastrami fans

by PALLINA Updated Jul 17, 2009

Half of a pastrami sandwich

Kat's Deli is a sort of legend of the Lower East Side, became famous during WW2 with the slogan "Send a salami" because, from there, girls could send a salami directly to their boyfriend at the Army. Actually I went there in August 1999 for the first time, because the most famous scene of "When Harry met Sally" was right here. Besides, my husband felt in love with their pastrami sandwich. It is a 10-inches-tall sandwich, so full of lovely sliced meat (beef), served with gurks and mustard (but I hate both of them, I prefer a plain pastrami, it's full of flavours standing alone). In July 2009 we came back, the place mantains its atmosphere (we recognize some waiters) but found it bloody expensive. For two pastrami sandwiches and two beers, we paid 48 usd!!!! And we waited at counter, so we had not paid the service. Moreover, we were short of cash, at the main cashier credit cards are not accepted, at the 2° cashier they were out of order....I took the risk to stay there and do the washing up! A draft bier costs 6 usd and a pastrami sandwich 14,95 usd. Don't leave NYC without trying Kat's Deli pastrami, but you can find cheaper bier.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami sandwich is a legend; thanks to VT I had read the interesting story of it, brought to US by Jewish immigration, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrami

• sneaks2210's Profile Photo

Katz's Delicatessen: Sally's Orgasmic Pastrami Sandwich!

by sneaks2210 Updated Jun 3, 2009

The Pastrami Sandwich

This deli circa 1888 is NYC history between two slices of rye. But before I brag about the food, let me explain the intimidating ordering process. When you first enter you will be handed a ticket while passing through a turn-style. You then head on over to the long counter and place your order. If you're ordering a sandwich, you will be given a small sample of the meat. Make sure you leave a tip in the cup and you might receive a few more slices in your sandwich. At this time the counterperson will ask for your ticket so he can write the price on it. Then slide down the counter to order drinks. When you are ready to leave, you must have your ticket when paying or they will not let you out. Now for the food. You're here for only 1 reason and that's the Pastrami on rye. Thick cut and house-cured, like no other pastrami you've ever had. The brisket and corned beef are also known for causing "orgasmic" (When Harry met Sally was filmed here) reactions. And wash it all down with a Dr. Browns Black Cherry soda.

• Katz's Deli: KATZ'S DELI - A Must Experience In New York

by opalzebra3 Written Dec 21, 2008

Katz's Deli -

Founded in 1888, Katz's Deli is an institution and you have not really seen New York until you have tried it. Would you believe many New York residents have never even tried Katz's? We were in New York last November 2008 and we said we had to try this famous deli, made even famous by the film "When Harry Met Sally". The East Village is not exactly the most pleasant place to walk around in, especially at night, but the trip to Katz's is worth it. We came by 6 Train from the Bleecker St. station and walked a bit west on Houston St.. When we got in, the fellow at the door gave us one ticket each and we proceeded to the food counter. We ended up with one of the more "senior cutters" and I ordered a salami to-go. He gave us a choice of bread, pickles etc. and even made us try the salami before he made the sandwich. When he was done, boy was the sandwich big! The VT tip was right, it is made for 2 persons. While we were there, we decided to wander around the deli, looking at the photos. On the way out, we presented our ticket and the paid the cashier. Since everyone else took photos of the place, I decided to post the bag of my salami sandwich for a change.

Favorite Dish: Since we were on the go, we ordered to-go so it had to be a cold sandwich. Otherwise I would have tried maybe the hot pastrami. Thus we settled for the salami sandwich and it's meat was twice as thick as the bread it was on. It was huge too, we split the sandwich and it was just right. But there is always another trip - next time it will be hot pastrami or hot dogs.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Katz’s Delicatessen: Send a salami …

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

In Katz's

In relatively recent years Katz has become famous as the place “where Harry met Sally” in the film, but its original claim to fame came during the Second World War when this Lower East Side deli established a mail-order business for its traditional meat products with the slogan “Send a salami to your boy in the army”. The slogan still appears on all their merchandise, staff uniforms etc, and has unfortunately acquired a new relevance in recent years, with a steady stream of salamis finding their way to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In fact Katz’s can truly claim to be that often over-used entity, a “New York institution”, dating back as it does to 1888. Whether its other claim, to be the best deli in the city, is quite so justifiable I’m less sure, but a meal here is certainly an experience and should certainly be on your New York itinerary.

We came for lunch and shared a Reuben sandwich (portions are very large), which with a couple of sodas cost us $11. To be honest it wasn’t the best Reuben either of us has ever had, by some way (and Chris considers himself to be a bit of a connoisseur of Reubens!) and the accompanying pickle was also a disappointment, but that’s not really the point. Coming to Katz’s is much more about the experience and the setting than it is about the food, and there’s no denying the setting is worth seeing. It’s also arguable that this is deli food as it was traditionally intended to be, and we’ve got too used to the more refined offerings at trendier joints!

Do check out the website, by the way. There’s an interesting history of Katz’s and a gallery of famous stars who have eaten here (a much more comprehensive gallery lines the walls of the restaurant). Look at the photo under the heading “… worth a 1,000 words” to see just how big a Katz’s sandwich can be!

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Katz's: Nostalgic Deli

by apbeaches Written Jul 28, 2008

Nostalgic deli from 1888; filled with mementos of the era. U.S. Presidents, stars of stage and screen and local and international political, social, and arts figures. Katz's has been featured in the movies. When Johnny Depp met with his FBI contact in "Donnie Brasco," it was at Katz's. When Meg Ryan displayed her orgasmic skill in "When Harry Met Sally" (I'll have what she's having) it was at Katz's.

During World War II, the three sons of Katz's owners were all serving their country in the armed forces, and the family tradition of sending food to their sons became sealed as the slogan "Send a Salami To Your Boy In The Army." Today, we'll arrange to ship the best of Katz's, anywhere, anytime.

One side of Katz's has waitress service. We prefer taking a ticket, going to the cafeteria counters were prices are written down. We seat ourselves & pay on the way out.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami is hand sliced, warm & incredible. The hot dogs & fries are pretty memorable. We enjoy people watching.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Katz's Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars