Katz's Deli, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 45 Reviews

205 E. Houston, NYC 10002 212-254-2246

The sclicing Counter
  • The exact spot from
    The exact spot from "When Harry Met...
    by TexasDave
    Nothing has changed in decades!
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Katz’s Delicatessen: Send a salami …

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

In relatively recent years Katz has become famous as the place “where Harry met Sally” in the film, but its original claim to fame came during the Second World War when this Lower East Side deli established a mail-order business for its traditional meat products with the slogan “Send a salami to your boy in the army”. The slogan still appears on all their merchandise, staff uniforms etc, and has unfortunately acquired a new relevance in recent years, with a steady stream of salamis finding their way to Iraq and Afghanistan.

In fact Katz’s can truly claim to be that often over-used entity, a “New York institution”, dating back as it does to 1888. Whether its other claim, to be the best deli in the city, is quite so justifiable I’m less sure, but a meal here is certainly an experience and should certainly be on your New York itinerary.

We came for lunch and shared a Reuben sandwich (portions are very large), which with a couple of sodas cost us $11. To be honest it wasn’t the best Reuben either of us has ever had, by some way (and Chris considers himself to be a bit of a connoisseur of Reubens!) and the accompanying pickle was also a disappointment, but that’s not really the point. Coming to Katz’s is much more about the experience and the setting than it is about the food, and there’s no denying the setting is worth seeing. It’s also arguable that this is deli food as it was traditionally intended to be, and we’ve got too used to the more refined offerings at trendier joints!

Do check out the website, by the way. There’s an interesting history of Katz’s and a gallery of famous stars who have eaten here (a much more comprehensive gallery lines the walls of the restaurant). Look at the photo under the heading “… worth a 1,000 words” to see just how big a Katz’s sandwich can be!

In Katz's In Katz's Reuben

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Katz's: Nostalgic Deli

by apbeaches Written Jul 28, 2008

Nostalgic deli from 1888; filled with mementos of the era. U.S. Presidents, stars of stage and screen and local and international political, social, and arts figures. Katz's has been featured in the movies. When Johnny Depp met with his FBI contact in "Donnie Brasco," it was at Katz's. When Meg Ryan displayed her orgasmic skill in "When Harry Met Sally" (I'll have what she's having) it was at Katz's.

During World War II, the three sons of Katz's owners were all serving their country in the armed forces, and the family tradition of sending food to their sons became sealed as the slogan "Send a Salami To Your Boy In The Army." Today, we'll arrange to ship the best of Katz's, anywhere, anytime.

One side of Katz's has waitress service. We prefer taking a ticket, going to the cafeteria counters were prices are written down. We seat ourselves & pay on the way out.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami is hand sliced, warm & incredible. The hot dogs & fries are pretty memorable. We enjoy people watching.

• Katz's Deli: a joke

by airscrew Written May 29, 2007

although the pastrami was good, the portions on a sandwich are a joke.
    don't believe what you see on television. the sandwiches were over-stacked for hype. what i got everyone i saw got half the size what i expected to see. ordering system is so stupid. certain lines for ordering sandwiches, another line for other than sandwiches, yet another line for drinks

what a tourist trap

oh yea...$14.00 for a sandwich.

a joke

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry Met Sally

by jamiesno Updated May 9, 2007

I didn't actually eat at this restaurant however thought I would still put this tip up because I am not sure if it is more famous because of its deli sandwiches or because its the restaurant where Meg Ryan had an orgasm in the movie When Harry Met Sally and the parton next to her said, "I'll have what she's having". Billy Crystal is the other popular actor that was in that movie.

Apparently you hand a ticket, along with a tip to the counterman and receive a generous serving of the only hand-carved meats in the city. The delicious food makes up for a sparse decor and the ticket system.

Katz

• Katz's Deli: Who Knew?

by mitzi2 Written May 5, 2007

when you go up to the counter which you must to order they will give you a taste of corned beef and pastrami.I have been here numerous times and always ordered corned beef and never tried the Pastrami but this time I did.Was I wrong...the pastrami is far superior and I would urge all corned beef lovers to just try it.

Favorite Dish: PASTRAMI on rye with guldens mustard.

• bananagirl's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Pastrami On Rye and Jewish Penicillin

by bananagirl Written Apr 11, 2007

They do a great, huge pastrami on rye. Order a half, and a bowl of matzoh ball soup, and you're set for the rest of the day. Order from the counter, and the dude carving the pastrami will give you a hunk to try while you're waiting. There are tables round the side for counter service, the ones at the front of the deli are waited on, but then you do get your plate of green tomatoes and dill pickles there.

Favorite Dish: Matzoh ball soup, coz it's just great, this huge doughy dumpling floating in chicken broth...good for whatever ails you.

• Katz's Deli: Great Deli. No Frills, but Excellent Food.

by Joe-Indy Updated Apr 8, 2007

Authentic New York Deli. Ask any cab driver for one of the best delis in NYC and they will say Katz's Deli. The Hot Pastrami is smoked to juicy perfection and hand carver to your specifications. The carvers will let you sample all the meat choices before you decide what you want. Almost a meal itself. Try the New York Egg Cream. One of my favorites. You get a ticket when you enter, give the ticket to the carver when you order, and pay when you leave. A great staff who are very helpful and friendly.

Favorite Dish: Hot Pastrami, Katz's Knoblewurst (Garlic Beef Sausage). and Potato Latkes with apple sauce.

• Katz's Deli: Wow. Did you see what it did to Meg Ryan?

by RblWthACoz Updated Jan 12, 2007

Is Katz's the best deli in New York City? Is it just because numerous U.S. Presidents and world figures are known to drop in for a bite? Or is it the many, many stars and famous folk who have showed up?

I walked into Katz's many years ago with my family. The guy behind the counter looked at my father and reminded him, "You were in here about a year ago with your daughter. And you ordered (such and such a thing that I can't remember right now)." The funny thing is, the guy was right.

The popularity of this place is no doubt due in big part to it's history and also that it has been heavily promoted and gets a lot of tourists in. It is also the place that coined the term "Send a salami to your boy in the army." You can order salamis and have them shipped to soldiers overseas; something that was started during WWII.

Oh yeah. One more thing. Remember "the scene" from "When Harry Met Sally"? You know...the one where Meg Ryan faked...(wink, wink). This is where that scene was filmed.

• gagarcia's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Dont Miss it

by gagarcia Written Jul 10, 2006

It was a sunny day in New York. Having sometime to spare. An idea crossed my mind since I am in New York why not try some of the locals eats . No not the pricey Nobu restaurant , AOC Bedford or a Peter Luger Steak house (this one I had to try another time). I simply wanted a sandwich. So I headed to Lower East side Manhattan using the subway. I came in about late afternoon the crowd was not bad sometimes lines form for a 30 minute wait just to get in. I was issued my ticket (Don’t lose your ticket) before heading the ordering counter. The place was old since 1888 but it was clean and still has that spark in the air. So I lined up at the self service counter. I order the classic corned beef on rye. Their corned beef is supposed to have been cured for a month before serving. They cut a small portion for you to taste while they go about making your order. When I tasted my sample. The beef was tender and full of flavor. It was as of now the best corned beef I ever tasted. I eagerly awaited my sandwich. My Sandwich was humongous about 5 to 6 inches thick along with it came a small plate of home made pickles and Dr. Brown’s Cherry Soda. The sandwich was good enough for 2 people luckily I can eat for 2 people hahahahahah.

Meg I saw the pictures of famous people who ate at Katz from Harry Houdini to Meg Ryan. To those movie buffs yes this is where they filmed the movie “When Harry met Sally’. The spot where Meg Ryan faked an orgasm I sat beside it. Sorry no Meg Ryan that day. The sandwich was a lot but it simply so good you really want to finish it with the Cherry soda washing it down. But Alas I simply had to take home half of it. Burp. Anyways if you have the chance to be in New York I suggest you drop by Katz’s Deli trust me it’s worth the trip.

Favorite Dish: Corned Beef on Rye ...simply perfect

Great Comb0

• lynmur's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Great Sandwiches

by lynmur Written May 17, 2006

Love the food and the atomosphere, Katz's is worth going back to time and time again
    The size of the sandwiches can feed two - they are huge .
    Katz Deli is a good NYC experience.
    Also you can sit in the seat where Meg Ryan faked her orgasm in When Harry met Sally

Favorite Dish: The pastrami sandwiches are superb.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Tasty and big sandwiches

by isolina_it Written Apr 20, 2006

Once in the village, you can`t help miss Kat`z. I mean, this is what everybody recommends you and it is quite good. Sandwiches and food is done fresh for you. Actually, David got the pastrami and i got the salami special recipes, I could not think that between to thin slices of bread they could fit so much food and it was hard to finish. Flavour is really nice and tasty, and atmosphere is simple, crowdy and nice. Again, then I say, do not miss it :)

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Pastrami time!

by Bela_LUng Updated Feb 19, 2006

Old sk00l deli near Houston and 2nd Avenue. The place serves all sorts of deli meats and beer! The place gets crowded at food intake times. Prepare to inhale. The portions are large and excellent. The pastrami sandwich is awesome.

When you enter you are given a ticket, keep that ticket and show it to the people who give you food. This is your "receipt". Don't lose it. If you get to the cash and don't have it, it's a $50 USD minimum charge.

Oh, yeah, and someone faked an orgasm here. I think it was Gilligan.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami, turkey sandwiches.

• cup0joe's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Open til 3AM!

by cup0joe Written Dec 6, 2005

The size of the sandwiches can feed two persons. Ambience is not exactly the word for Katz Deli. An experience is more like it. It can get very busy sometime, but once you're seated with your food it will all be a great NY moment.

Word of warning. The prices are high for a sandwich. You'd think you were in the theater district. But they are large. So share a plate.

Favorite Dish: I don't eat meat, but I'm told the Cornbeef is excellent. Plus no trip to NY would be complete without a Rueben corned beef, swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.

I usually go for a Knishes after a night on the town. Potato, Broccoli or Sweet Potato. Or if I'm really hungry a bagel, with Lox and cream cheese. Rather pricey, but it location. You can get one much cheaper at any bagel shop in the city!

You won't fine these in the UK. New York Egg Cream. Choice of chocolate or vanilla with milk and a ?spritz? of seltzer.

• Katz's Deli: Salami will travel!!!

by abptravel Written Oct 14, 2005

I recently traveled to Tibet and Mongolia. Concerned about the food I decided to take two Katz's salamis. For years (50) I remember reading the big sign in the dining hall to send a salami to the boys overseas. Well I figured I would just take a couple with me. If traveling for an extended time I recommend unwrapping the brown paper from the salami so it can breathe much like a good wine. I will always remember fondly one night in Mongolia sharing my Katz's salami with a number of Mongols along with some Tequila and Mongolian Vodka. The mongols were delighted with the salami.

Favorite Dish: The traditional hot pastrami on rye with mustard, a potato knish and Dr. Browns Cream soda.

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Great Pastrami (And I Don't Even Like Pastrami)

by kidkilowatt Written Apr 5, 2005

Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side of Manhattan is definitely an experience. If you are a fan of the movies, this is the deli that Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are in in the famous scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally. The place is spacious and figuring out how to order (it's a take a number kind of place) can be a bit confusing, but once you have your food, you will be in heaven. If you are lucky, the guys behind the counter will offer you a sample of the fresh meat and if you get a sandwich, prepare for it to be gigantic. The feel is not romantic or anything, with flat lighting and a kind of lunch hall atmosphere, but the food is great and this is a definite landmark of the Lower East Side and Manhattan in general. This is also a great place to come for a meal after a night of barhopping on New York's Lower East Side- a great place for nightlife.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami sandwich
    knish
    noodle kugel
    Dr. Brown's soda

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Katz's Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars