Katz's Deli, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 43 Reviews

205 E. Houston, NYC 10002 212-254-2246

Well worth the trip here !!!!!!
    by jlanza29
    BEST on EARTH !!!!!!!
    by jlanza29
    In Katz's
    by toonsarah
  • Katz's Deli: a joke

by airscrew Written May 29, 2007

although the pastrami was good, the portions on a sandwich are a joke.
    don't believe what you see on television. the sandwiches were over-stacked for hype. what i got everyone i saw got half the size what i expected to see. ordering system is so stupid. certain lines for ordering sandwiches, another line for other than sandwiches, yet another line for drinks

what a tourist trap

oh yea...$14.00 for a sandwich.

a joke

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry Met Sally

by jamiesno Updated May 9, 2007

Katz

I didn't actually eat at this restaurant however thought I would still put this tip up because I am not sure if it is more famous because of its deli sandwiches or because its the restaurant where Meg Ryan had an orgasm in the movie When Harry Met Sally and the parton next to her said, "I'll have what she's having". Billy Crystal is the other popular actor that was in that movie.

Apparently you hand a ticket, along with a tip to the counterman and receive a generous serving of the only hand-carved meats in the city. The delicious food makes up for a sparse decor and the ticket system.

• Katz's Deli: Who Knew?

by mitzi2 Written May 5, 2007

when you go up to the counter which you must to order they will give you a taste of corned beef and pastrami.I have been here numerous times and always ordered corned beef and never tried the Pastrami but this time I did.Was I wrong...the pastrami is far superior and I would urge all corned beef lovers to just try it.

Favorite Dish: PASTRAMI on rye with guldens mustard.

• bananagirl's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Pastrami On Rye and Jewish Penicillin

by bananagirl Written Apr 11, 2007

They do a great, huge pastrami on rye. Order a half, and a bowl of matzoh ball soup, and you're set for the rest of the day. Order from the counter, and the dude carving the pastrami will give you a hunk to try while you're waiting. There are tables round the side for counter service, the ones at the front of the deli are waited on, but then you do get your plate of green tomatoes and dill pickles there.

Favorite Dish: Matzoh ball soup, coz it's just great, this huge doughy dumpling floating in chicken broth...good for whatever ails you.

• Katz's Deli: Great Deli. No Frills, but Excellent Food.

by Joe-Indy Updated Apr 8, 2007

Authentic New York Deli. Ask any cab driver for one of the best delis in NYC and they will say Katz's Deli. The Hot Pastrami is smoked to juicy perfection and hand carver to your specifications. The carvers will let you sample all the meat choices before you decide what you want. Almost a meal itself. Try the New York Egg Cream. One of my favorites. You get a ticket when you enter, give the ticket to the carver when you order, and pay when you leave. A great staff who are very helpful and friendly.

Favorite Dish: Hot Pastrami, Katz's Knoblewurst (Garlic Beef Sausage). and Potato Latkes with apple sauce.

• Katz's Deli: Wow. Did you see what it did to Meg Ryan?

by RblWthACoz Updated Jan 12, 2007

Is Katz's the best deli in New York City? Is it just because numerous U.S. Presidents and world figures are known to drop in for a bite? Or is it the many, many stars and famous folk who have showed up?

I walked into Katz's many years ago with my family. The guy behind the counter looked at my father and reminded him, "You were in here about a year ago with your daughter. And you ordered (such and such a thing that I can't remember right now)." The funny thing is, the guy was right.

The popularity of this place is no doubt due in big part to it's history and also that it has been heavily promoted and gets a lot of tourists in. It is also the place that coined the term "Send a salami to your boy in the army." You can order salamis and have them shipped to soldiers overseas; something that was started during WWII.

Oh yeah. One more thing. Remember "the scene" from "When Harry Met Sally"? You know...the one where Meg Ryan faked...(wink, wink). This is where that scene was filmed.

• gagarcia's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Dont Miss it

by gagarcia Written Jul 10, 2006

Great Comb0

It was a sunny day in New York. Having sometime to spare. An idea crossed my mind since I am in New York why not try some of the locals eats . No not the pricey Nobu restaurant , AOC Bedford or a Peter Luger Steak house (this one I had to try another time). I simply wanted a sandwich. So I headed to Lower East side Manhattan using the subway. I came in about late afternoon the crowd was not bad sometimes lines form for a 30 minute wait just to get in. I was issued my ticket (Don’t lose your ticket) before heading the ordering counter. The place was old since 1888 but it was clean and still has that spark in the air. So I lined up at the self service counter. I order the classic corned beef on rye. Their corned beef is supposed to have been cured for a month before serving. They cut a small portion for you to taste while they go about making your order. When I tasted my sample. The beef was tender and full of flavor. It was as of now the best corned beef I ever tasted. I eagerly awaited my sandwich. My Sandwich was humongous about 5 to 6 inches thick along with it came a small plate of home made pickles and Dr. Brown’s Cherry Soda. The sandwich was good enough for 2 people luckily I can eat for 2 people hahahahahah.

Meg I saw the pictures of famous people who ate at Katz from Harry Houdini to Meg Ryan. To those movie buffs yes this is where they filmed the movie “When Harry met Sally’. The spot where Meg Ryan faked an orgasm I sat beside it. Sorry no Meg Ryan that day. The sandwich was a lot but it simply so good you really want to finish it with the Cherry soda washing it down. But Alas I simply had to take home half of it. Burp. Anyways if you have the chance to be in New York I suggest you drop by Katz’s Deli trust me it’s worth the trip.

Favorite Dish: Corned Beef on Rye ...simply perfect

• lynmur's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Great Sandwiches

by lynmur Written May 17, 2006

Love the food and the atomosphere, Katz's is worth going back to time and time again
    The size of the sandwiches can feed two - they are huge .
    Katz Deli is a good NYC experience.
    Also you can sit in the seat where Meg Ryan faked her orgasm in When Harry met Sally

Favorite Dish: The pastrami sandwiches are superb.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Tasty and big sandwiches

by isolina_it Written Apr 20, 2006

Once in the village, you can`t help miss Kat`z. I mean, this is what everybody recommends you and it is quite good. Sandwiches and food is done fresh for you. Actually, David got the pastrami and i got the salami special recipes, I could not think that between to thin slices of bread they could fit so much food and it was hard to finish. Flavour is really nice and tasty, and atmosphere is simple, crowdy and nice. Again, then I say, do not miss it :)

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Pastrami time!

by Bela_LUng Updated Feb 19, 2006

Old sk00l deli near Houston and 2nd Avenue. The place serves all sorts of deli meats and beer! The place gets crowded at food intake times. Prepare to inhale. The portions are large and excellent. The pastrami sandwich is awesome.

When you enter you are given a ticket, keep that ticket and show it to the people who give you food. This is your "receipt". Don't lose it. If you get to the cash and don't have it, it's a $50 USD minimum charge.

Oh, yeah, and someone faked an orgasm here. I think it was Gilligan.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami, turkey sandwiches.

• cup0joe's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Open til 3AM!

by cup0joe Written Dec 6, 2005

The size of the sandwiches can feed two persons. Ambience is not exactly the word for Katz Deli. An experience is more like it. It can get very busy sometime, but once you're seated with your food it will all be a great NY moment.

Word of warning. The prices are high for a sandwich. You'd think you were in the theater district. But they are large. So share a plate.

Favorite Dish: I don't eat meat, but I'm told the Cornbeef is excellent. Plus no trip to NY would be complete without a Rueben corned beef, swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.

I usually go for a Knishes after a night on the town. Potato, Broccoli or Sweet Potato. Or if I'm really hungry a bagel, with Lox and cream cheese. Rather pricey, but it location. You can get one much cheaper at any bagel shop in the city!

You won't fine these in the UK. New York Egg Cream. Choice of chocolate or vanilla with milk and a ?spritz? of seltzer.

• Katz's Deli: Salami will travel!!!

by abptravel Written Oct 14, 2005

I recently traveled to Tibet and Mongolia. Concerned about the food I decided to take two Katz's salamis. For years (50) I remember reading the big sign in the dining hall to send a salami to the boys overseas. Well I figured I would just take a couple with me. If traveling for an extended time I recommend unwrapping the brown paper from the salami so it can breathe much like a good wine. I will always remember fondly one night in Mongolia sharing my Katz's salami with a number of Mongols along with some Tequila and Mongolian Vodka. The mongols were delighted with the salami.

Favorite Dish: The traditional hot pastrami on rye with mustard, a potato knish and Dr. Browns Cream soda.

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Great Pastrami (And I Don't Even Like Pastrami)

by kidkilowatt Written Apr 5, 2005

Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side of Manhattan is definitely an experience. If you are a fan of the movies, this is the deli that Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are in in the famous scene from the movie When Harry Met Sally. The place is spacious and figuring out how to order (it's a take a number kind of place) can be a bit confusing, but once you have your food, you will be in heaven. If you are lucky, the guys behind the counter will offer you a sample of the fresh meat and if you get a sandwich, prepare for it to be gigantic. The feel is not romantic or anything, with flat lighting and a kind of lunch hall atmosphere, but the food is great and this is a definite landmark of the Lower East Side and Manhattan in general. This is also a great place to come for a meal after a night of barhopping on New York's Lower East Side- a great place for nightlife.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami sandwich
    knish
    noodle kugel
    Dr. Brown's soda

• catpause's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry met Sally.

by catpause Updated Feb 20, 2005

Katz's Deli

This is one of my stops every time I visit NYC. The food is great and the atmosphere is uniquely New York.

The experience starts upon entering the restaurant. You enter via a turnstile and a security person hands each person a ticket telling you not to lose it as you will need it to exit. Take them at their word, don't lose the ticket. I don't know if they send you straight to jail or not but why take the chance.

Seating with service is at the tables against the walls. Tables in the center are for those who get their orders at the counter. Don't wait to be seated, it's first come first serve. Also, the tables along the walls seat six so if there are only two at a table don't hesitate to ask to share the table.

The waitresses and waiters are fast and efficient. They are not rude but also not overly friendly, part of that NYC ambience.

After ordering look around. Lots of pictures of famous people that have eaten here. Maybe you will even see someone.

Enjoy the surrondings. It is just as much a part of the experience as the food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the hot pastrami on rye. It is big enough to share as are all the sandwiches. The meat is tender and juicy. The perfect sandwich.

The potato cakes are good also. I have not seen anything that doesn't look and smell great. I usually try to sneak a taste of what others with me order.

• Gage17's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry Met Sally...

by Gage17 Updated Jan 16, 2005

Katz's Deli in the Lower East Side

This is the restaurant where they fimed the famous fake orgasim scene in "When Harry Met Sally", and it's a great place to eat in its own right. Food is decent, and there is a terrific collection of local photos and artifacts adorning the walls.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Katz's Deli
4.0 out of 5 stars