Katz's Deli, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 44 Reviews

205 E. Houston, NYC 10002 212-254-2246

• The exact spot from
    The exact spot from "When Harry Met...
    by TexasDave
    Nothing has changed in decades!
    by TexasDave
    Salamis in the front window
  • MINOSUKE's Profile Photo

Kat's Deli: Yummy, Juicy Pastrami Sandwich!

by MINOSUKE Updated Aug 19, 2010

This must be the most well-known and the most loved pastrami sandwich in New York.
    In that scene in Meg Ryan and Billy Cristal movie, 'When Harry Met Sally', Meg Ryan ate this sandwich. I found the same sandwich as Meg was eating, even though the movie was made more than 20 years ago.
    When you enter Kat's Deli, you will soon like the lively atmosphere and good smell of pastrami and cucumber pickles.

Favorite Dish: Of course, pastrami sandwich. The pastrami is very juicy and tasty. The black pepper has very nice smell.

• Katz's Deli: a joke

by airscrew Written May 29, 2007

although the pastrami was good, the portions on a sandwich are a joke.
    don't believe what you see on television. the sandwiches were over-stacked for hype. what i got everyone i saw got half the size what i expected to see. ordering system is so stupid. certain lines for ordering sandwiches, another line for other than sandwiches, yet another line for drinks

what a tourist trap

oh yea...$14.00 for a sandwich.

a joke

• Gatorsnakebirdbugluv's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Melt in my mouth harden my arteries heart attack

by Gatorsnakebirdbugluv Updated Jan 17, 2014

I wanted to go here even tho I felt guilty for being attracted to what I thought might be a touristy version of my pastrami dreams. It was wonderful. The pastrami was steamy, and had the perfect amount of melt in your mouth fat bordering the meat. The homemade pickles were awesome. It's crowded, but the security guy streamlines the entry and ordering process. They let you munch on a sample while they make your sandwich. The meat is cut to serve. It has a great atmosphere. It's expensive for a sandwich, but one sandwich fed two of us to satisfaction.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Katz's Delicatessen: The famous Katz Deli

by Gili_S Written Nov 10, 2012

This is the famous Katz's Delicatessen, one of the icon food places in Manhattan. Over 100 years old, this place is famous for its Pastrami sandwiches. It has becoming even more popular after a movie seen from Rob Reiner movie as well as being visited by some reality chef TV programs.

Favorite Dish: Of course, I had to take the Pastrami sandwich here. Yes, I admit the Pastrami meat is EXCELLENT. The sandwich and the beer I had with it, well, I was a tourist, it was OK but I wouldn't live on it if I was living here :)

• catpause's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry met Sally.

by catpause Updated Feb 20, 2005

Katz's Deli

This is one of my stops every time I visit NYC. The food is great and the atmosphere is uniquely New York.

The experience starts upon entering the restaurant. You enter via a turnstile and a security person hands each person a ticket telling you not to lose it as you will need it to exit. Take them at their word, don't lose the ticket. I don't know if they send you straight to jail or not but why take the chance.

Seating with service is at the tables against the walls. Tables in the center are for those who get their orders at the counter. Don't wait to be seated, it's first come first serve. Also, the tables along the walls seat six so if there are only two at a table don't hesitate to ask to share the table.

The waitresses and waiters are fast and efficient. They are not rude but also not overly friendly, part of that NYC ambience.

After ordering look around. Lots of pictures of famous people that have eaten here. Maybe you will even see someone.

Enjoy the surrondings. It is just as much a part of the experience as the food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the hot pastrami on rye. It is big enough to share as are all the sandwiches. The meat is tender and juicy. The perfect sandwich.

The potato cakes are good also. I have not seen anything that doesn't look and smell great. I usually try to sneak a taste of what others with me order.

• Katz's Deli: A PASTRAMI SANDWICH PLEASE

by tennislynn Written May 14, 2004

This restaurant/deli is so special that every
    time anyone from my business in Massachusetts visits relatives, they're required to bring back some freshly hand cut pastrami and a salami with mustard.
    Atmosphere gets either a 10 or a 0 depending
    upon your perspective. For me it's a 10, eclectic, non fuss,no tipping countermen.
    However, tip the countermen and get the biggest sandwich (with samples) and a coronary attack waiting to happen. I LOVE IT!
    iT'S NOT CHEAP by any means, but IT'S THE BEST.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

KATZ'S DELI: A THICK cornbeef and pastrami sandwich

by xymmot Updated May 13, 2011

A simple traditional deli, been there for years and I grew up 2 blocks away and was my favorite back then, 40 years ago

Favorite Dish: The cornbeef and pastrami sandwich is to die for...I get cravings 200 miles away and when I am in NYC, I have to stop by and get my fix....I also get a hot dog too and kill two birds with one stone

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Katz Deli: When Harry Met Sally

by barryg23 Updated Mar 23, 2003

Katz's Deli

If you saw the movie "When Harry Met Sally", you might remember that scene in the diner. This is the diner! They have a strange system of ordering based on tickets which completly confused me. The food is reasonable though a bit over-priced. There are better and cheaper delis.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Tasty and big sandwiches

by isolina_it Written Apr 20, 2006

Once in the village, you can`t help miss Kat`z. I mean, this is what everybody recommends you and it is quite good. Sandwiches and food is done fresh for you. Actually, David got the pastrami and i got the salami special recipes, I could not think that between to thin slices of bread they could fit so much food and it was hard to finish. Flavour is really nice and tasty, and atmosphere is simple, crowdy and nice. Again, then I say, do not miss it :)

• Katz's Deli: Wow. Did you see what it did to Meg Ryan?

by RblWthACoz Updated Jan 12, 2007

Is Katz's the best deli in New York City? Is it just because numerous U.S. Presidents and world figures are known to drop in for a bite? Or is it the many, many stars and famous folk who have showed up?

I walked into Katz's many years ago with my family. The guy behind the counter looked at my father and reminded him, "You were in here about a year ago with your daughter. And you ordered (such and such a thing that I can't remember right now)." The funny thing is, the guy was right.

The popularity of this place is no doubt due in big part to it's history and also that it has been heavily promoted and gets a lot of tourists in. It is also the place that coined the term "Send a salami to your boy in the army." You can order salamis and have them shipped to soldiers overseas; something that was started during WWII.

Oh yeah. One more thing. Remember "the scene" from "When Harry Met Sally"? You know...the one where Meg Ryan faked...(wink, wink). This is where that scene was filmed.

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Pastrami time!

by Bela_LUng Updated Feb 19, 2006

Old sk00l deli near Houston and 2nd Avenue. The place serves all sorts of deli meats and beer! The place gets crowded at food intake times. Prepare to inhale. The portions are large and excellent. The pastrami sandwich is awesome.

When you enter you are given a ticket, keep that ticket and show it to the people who give you food. This is your "receipt". Don't lose it. If you get to the cash and don't have it, it's a $50 USD minimum charge.

Oh, yeah, and someone faked an orgasm here. I think it was Gilligan.

Favorite Dish: Pastrami, turkey sandwiches.

• Katz's Deli: Salami will travel!!!

by abptravel Written Oct 14, 2005

I recently traveled to Tibet and Mongolia. Concerned about the food I decided to take two Katz's salamis. For years (50) I remember reading the big sign in the dining hall to send a salami to the boys overseas. Well I figured I would just take a couple with me. If traveling for an extended time I recommend unwrapping the brown paper from the salami so it can breathe much like a good wine. I will always remember fondly one night in Mongolia sharing my Katz's salami with a number of Mongols along with some Tequila and Mongolian Vodka. The mongols were delighted with the salami.

Favorite Dish: The traditional hot pastrami on rye with mustard, a potato knish and Dr. Browns Cream soda.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: When Harry Met Sally and all that

by vichatherly Updated Dec 2, 2004

Inside Katz's Deli

A place that is well worth the trip for all you cinema buffs out there for this is the place where Sally had her famous orgasm scene at one of the tables.

A really busy but very efficient deli. You enter and pick up a blank menu ticket at the door, then its off to the counter and try to pick the shortest queue to one of the many meat cutters.

Some people have said that the ordering system is too complicated but it is really simple. I'll try and give you some tips about the rules.

1. Enter deli and pick up blank menu bill from security guards. One ticket per person. Don't loose these tickets.

2. Decide what to order before getting in the queue to one of the mnany cutters behind the counter.

3. Order at counter, e.g. Pastrami sandwich on Rye. Hand one ticket to the cutter who will scribble what you ordered by way of a number on your ticket. If ordering for two people there is no need to hand over two tickets.

4. Sit down and eat wonderful sandwich.

5. When leaving deli hand in all tickets including any blank one to the cashier, who will let you know what you owe.

See told you it was simple. If it really is too complicated then just sit yourself down at one of the table along the wall which has waitress service.

Plenty of pictures of celebrities who have been to the restaurant adorne the walls, most of whom I didn't recognise, but the atmosphere was good.

They have a promotion going now called Send a Salami to your Boy in the Army!. Unfortunatley I didn't know anyone in the army to send one to.

Favorite Dish: Make sure you're hungry when entering.

We had the pastrami on rye sandwiches (Hot Katz's Pastrami $12.45)

Enormous things, come with a plate of pickles and cucumbers.

The menu is however very extensive. A really fun place.

• Gage17's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry Met Sally...

by Gage17 Updated Jan 16, 2005

Katz's Deli in the Lower East Side

This is the restaurant where they fimed the famous fake orgasim scene in "When Harry Met Sally", and it's a great place to eat in its own right. Food is decent, and there is a terrific collection of local photos and artifacts adorning the walls.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Katz's Deli: Where Harry Met Sally

by jamiesno Updated May 9, 2007

Katz

I didn't actually eat at this restaurant however thought I would still put this tip up because I am not sure if it is more famous because of its deli sandwiches or because its the restaurant where Meg Ryan had an orgasm in the movie When Harry Met Sally and the parton next to her said, "I'll have what she's having". Billy Crystal is the other popular actor that was in that movie.

Apparently you hand a ticket, along with a tip to the counterman and receive a generous serving of the only hand-carved meats in the city. The delicious food makes up for a sparse decor and the ticket system.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Katz's Deli

View all New York City hotels