Places to eat in New York City

The Shake Shack
    by leics
    Nothing has changed in decades!
    by TexasDave
    Salamis in the front window
    by TexasDave

Most Viewed Restaurants in New York City

• starship's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: This Train Stops at Bloomingdale's

by starship Updated Sep 22, 2014

I must give credit for finding "Le Train Bleu" Restaurant to my friend who I was visiting NCY with for the day. We had no real agenda except seeing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular which we had tickets for that evening. With our spare time in the city we knew we wanted to visit Bryant Park's Christmas Market, do a walking tour of uniquely decorated stores and windows which would be dressed for the holidays and have lunch.

At lunch time, with reservations in hand we made our way up to Bloomingdale's 6th floor where Le Train Bleu is almost hidden. Still we had to make our way through the houseware's department to find the entrance which marked by stairs and chrome handrails leading to the entrance which is decorated with fabulous, early 20th century-style travel posters. When entering the restaurant yourself you find that you are transported into the atmosphere of an 1870s French dining car. The intimate dining room features two rows of tables wrapped in crisp linens, chairs covered in green velvet and the walls and ceiling painted a rich forest-green color with dark wood paneling which might remind you of a gentlemens' dining club were it not for the obvious train car windows and narrow train car features and dimensions.

Le Train Bleu's menu features a small but carefully selected list of appetizers, salads ($14 - $24 when meat is added); sandwiches, burgers, and quiche ($17 - $19); perhaps a soup or two; and entrees or "Plats du Chef" (ranging from $24 - $28). Sides are a la carte at $6 each.

The best value, in my opinion, is what we ordered which is a "prix fixe" menu for lunch --- although still a pricey $42, it included the choice of any appetizer, entree and dessert. I cannot recall if the beverage was included but I believe not. The portions were sufficient enough such that we did not need to even think about having a dinner that day as well.

Another prix fixe option is the Brunch which is offered on Saturdays and Sundays and includes any brunch entree, coffee, and a Mimosa or Bloody Mary for $28. (All 2014 prices)

Even though it should be remembered that this is NYC where prices are quite high to begin with, the food at Le Train Bleu was quite good, the service friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere very charming. This is one place where the quality of the food and the surroundings are complementary and worth the splurge especially at this time of year.

Location: 6th floor, Bloomingdales
    Hours: Monday - Saturday: 10:30am - 5:00pm
    Thursday: 10:30am - 7:00pm
    Sunday: 11:30am - 4:30pm
    Reservations are highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: For my prix fixe lunch I selected the Baby Spinach Salad and the Louisiana Crab Cake topped off by a scrumptious dessert! I enjoyed the cozy, turn-of-the-century atmosphere as much as the food.

Being a huge fan of stylized-travel posters, the many displayed in the waiting area were a huge hit with me too! One particular poster was also used for the image on the front of the menu.

Yummy Sushi: budget Japanese Sushi at Rockefeller Center

by machomikemd Updated Sep 5, 2014

cheap but tasty Japanese assorted Sushi, Maki and Japanese Bento Meals. Yummy Sushi is one of the many Restaurants and Food Counters at the Concourse Level of the Rockefeller Center that serves the hordes of people, ranging from local new yorkers to gawking tourists that are going to and from the Subway Stop to Rockefeller Center and Vice Versa. It provides cheap (for Manhattan Standards that is, since this is not a Luxe Sushi Bar but more of a food court with a few tables and chairs) and satisying assorted fresh Sushi, Sashimi, Maki and various Fast Japanese Bento and Donburi Meals and some Soba or Ramen Noodle dish as well.

Hours:

Monday to Friday: 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
    Saturday: 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
    Sundays: Closed

Favorite Dish: what else but the many kinds of sushi and sashimi and maki preparations like california maki at $ 4.99 for 6 pieces and up to $ 9.99 if the unagi (sea urchin) maki. Japanese Bento Meals at $ 11.99 an order and my favorite the donburi meal the Gyudon at $ 8.99 a bowl with rice.

order now sushi menu yum concourse
    • Wine Tasting

Todd English Bonfire: nice airport resto but expensive

by machomikemd Updated Sep 5, 2014

nice place to eat to catch a morning flight back to san francisco and the food is good but is a little pricey. The globally inspired menu of the restaurant which was founded by Iron Chef/ Celebrity Chef Todd English (Todd English has found a new ground to colonize: airports. The Bonfire Restaurant here at JFK gives a new meaning to the term "destination" restaurant. the Iron Chef opens a version of his steakhouse (the original one is in Boston's Park Plaza) in JFK's Delta Terminal 2, a 90-seat upscale eatery with an open kitchen where travellers can stopover for steak frites, roasted swordfish and a full taqueria) which features signature Latin and European specialties in addition to traditional steakhouse favorites, ignites travelers' taste buds and stokes up their appetites but again is on the pricey side hehehe.

Opens: 7:00 am to 10:00 pm everyday

Favorite Dish: the sirloin steak frites for breakfast at $ 20 for just a really small size, the coffee at $ 5, yes is a bit pricey like what i said since this is owned but a celebrity chef who invented a number of concept restaurants like the Food Hall!

the resto inside coffee steak frites me
    • Wine Tasting

Sixth Avenue Cafe: chic cafe in sixth avenue

by machomikemd Updated Sep 5, 2014

The Sixth Avenue Cafe is located along the Sixth Avenue Area (also Known as the Avenue of the Americas) and is just one block away from Central Park. It is your classic American Diner which provides a homey feel in the otherwise concrete jungle central of manhattan. It offers classic american favorites and all day dining favorites such as bacon and eggs, biscuits and hash browns, corn grits and ham and a lot more. It can be packed during daytime with locals. this quaint diner is providing a hearty meal to a cold and damp and rainy fall weather in manhattan when I ate here.

Opens:

7:00 am to 10:00 pm everyday

Favorite Dish: what else but the classic american breakfast items like ham and eggs at $ 6.99 an order, the classic corned beef hash at $ 9.99 an order, and the americano coffee at $ 3.50 a cup.

front inside coffee bread corned bef hash

• leics's Profile Photo

The Keg Room: Noisy but friendly 'pub'.

by leics Written Jul 31, 2014

I've taken to eating in 'pubs' (usually 'Irish') when I visit the US. The beer is always good, and there's always a decent range of 'proper' beer. And the food is generally ok-to-good as well, and reasonably-priced.

And, most importantly for me, it usually feels ok to sit and eat/drink in an 'pub' as a solo female-with-book. It's part of UK pub ethos that people go there to have some alone time as well as to seek company and I feel comfortable doing so elsewhere.

There were several 'pubs' near my Midtown Manhattan hotel and I chose the Keg Room for one meal. I went in the early evening early in the week, when the pub wasn't too busy (it's clearly very popular) and so was able to get a table to myself. I do loathe sitting at the bar to eat, although I know it's perfectly normal for solo people to do that in the US.

I was hungry (unusual for me when it's hot) so chose the French Dip sandwich with fries (14USD). It was very pleasant indeed, very filling (of course) but very tasty. I had draft Sam Adams seasonal beer to accompany it...a very nice beer indeed.

The Keg Room is a large, open pub with several TV screens (showing sports, of course) and a substantial range of draft and bottled beers, both US-brewed and imported. By 7pm it had filled up and was becoming very noisy in consequence.

The staff were efficient and courteous, my meal and beer were both good and I was perfectly happy to add the expected 20% tip (I'm not always happy to do so).

The Keg Room is certainly not somewhere for a quiet evening spent with a book and a pint (I haven't yet found anywhere in the US which fits that bill) but it was certainly a pleasant and friendly place to eat and have a pint.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• EviP's Profile Photo

the Musket Room: east gourmet

by EviP Updated Jun 10, 2014

Cool hip easy going environment
    with fine cuisine

Favorite Dish: I tried the mushroom custard, the tofu gnocchi and the strawberry camembert mousse.
    All fine tastes, wonderfully unexpectedly and happily joined together.

the Musket Room the Musket room the Musket room

• 43beckos's Profile Photo

The Half Pint: Brunch Spot in Greenwich Village

by 43beckos Written May 7, 2014

Unfortunately did not eat here ( we had just had brunch elsewhere), but definitely had a case of food envy when we saw the plates coming out of the kitchen.

The bottomless brunch looked really good value.

The staff were very friendly and attentive, and he whole place had a good feel about it. Nothing was too much trouble for the bar staff.

• tavern on jane: best staff

by agmisener Written May 5, 2014

Typical Tavern, not so typical staff-went for brunch, the food was great service was too, it was fun watching and listening to the locals, but we left a purse there and did not know until later that night when we got home to Nova Scotia, Canada from New York that it was there ( we thought it was gone for good when we realized it was missing at the airport), Somebody called from the tavern to my cell phone from the number left on the cell in the bag, to let me know it was there- the staff sent the purse home to me within the week!!!! I recommend people should go here to support places like this for the staff alone!!! Not a big place which I think is good, because the atmosphere is great, the room is bright, with character, and the brunch was great!!

• Singles

• Turska's Profile Photo

Park Slope Ale house: Food and beers

by Turska Written Apr 21, 2014

Since we were in low budget holliday, and we like beer tasting, we mostly ate at pubs on our trip.
    This time we only had some finger food.
    All of them was good, and didn´t taste like taken straight from ready prepared food from freezer. Maybe they just tasted more "home made" or then they were. How ever, we thought it was good enough. I loved those stuffed potato sknins, would have wanted to get here again one day, but we ran out of time.
    I forgot to took photo of the building, but you´ll see it in their web page.

Favorite Dish: Staffed potato skins. There was also some interesting beers, even though some of them were quite typical.

• Turska's Profile Photo

The Black Horse Brooklyn: Pub food and lots of beers

by Turska Written Apr 20, 2014

We stayed at Brooklyn, and this was one of the places I found at google maps before the trip. I red their menu, and at our first night we went there. We were quite tired after 3 hours at car, 2 hours at airport, 9 hours at airplane, and allmost 2 hours at underground at local train.
    It was midnight our time, but only 17 o´clock ( 5 p.m.) at local time. Strange feeling.
    The staff was friendly, and when we said we want to try some local beer, the weither gave as samples in small glasses to try.
    We were also hungry and had chicken sandwishes. We actually also took cheese fries, because it wasn´t told at the menu, that there is fries with the sandwish! So we got a lot to eat.
    We came here 4 times at our trip, and ate twice. I did also like their mac and cheese, but my husband didn´t like it. It had some eggs on it I think.
    We were planning to go here even more often, but we found some other nice places too. And when here was the woman bar tender, she did play quite terrible music (hip hop and rap, sorry for those who love it, but it´s not our thing), so that made us not go. And of course all the tv screens showing many different sports were disturbing, but.. in NY we saw not one pub without tv´s and sports. These people seem to think pub and sports go hand in hand.
    I will also mark budget travel because of the pub food being cheaper than in fancy restaurants.

Favorite Dish: The chicken sandwishes with mozzarella were delcious, even though quite simply.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

La Nacional: Spanish near Union Square

by Dabs Written Jan 22, 2014

We were looking for a place to eat post theater near Union Square and Spanish food was a good choice for a carnivore and a vegetarian to have a meal. I made a reservation on Open Table but it wasn't necessary, there were only a couple of other tables occupied which I thought was odd for a Saturday night.

Favorite Dish: We ordered from the tapas menu, the tapas range from $8-12 and that seemed a little high until I saw the portion sizes, we ordered four and couldn't finish them between the two of us. We ordered croquettas which unusually didn't have any meat in them, instead filled with spinach. Those were good. The fried calamari was OK, the patatas bravas weren't as spicy as I'm accustomed to. I can't remember the 4th choice, it was vegetarian and I didn't try it.

• Gatorsnakebirdbugluv's Profile Photo

Prosperity Dumpling: Best Hole in the Wall

by Gatorsnakebirdbugluv Written Jan 17, 2014

The pork and chive dumplings are the best I've had. The Wonton soup was delish as well. The pork bun was really good too. Now that I've said that, you must know this place is the epitome of hole in the wall. The dumplings are 4/$1 so I pretended the homeless like man sitting next to me didn't smell quite so bad. I would also walk through the malodorous dumpster air 20 times just to have one more dumpling. In my opinion, sometimes you have to ignore a few things for an authentic and delicious food experience. In fact, at times, scuzziness adds to the experience.

Favorite Dish: Pork and Chive Dumplings

• Gatorsnakebirdbugluv's Profile Photo

Sake Bar Hagi: Cold beer, Hot Ramen, Both Delish

by Gatorsnakebirdbugluv Written Jan 17, 2014

We found out about this place when it was featured on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows. It's tucked away in the basement of a building. Sapporo and Kirin on draft. Full bar. They don't take reservations so be prepared to wait. We waited 30 minutes on a Saturday at 730pm. It is well worth it. We sat at the bar. The ramen was delicious. The broth was white with delicious dots of pork fat floating on the top. The pork in the ramen was full of flavor and had a good meat to fat ratio. The veggies were crisp and the ginger was added in just the right amount. We also had the pork belly skewers which were very good. The yellowtail collar tasted fresh and was nicely seasoned and flaky. The menu had various authentic Japanese dishes. I would go out of my way to eat here.

Favorite Dish: Yellowtail Collar was one our favorites because it isn't something you usually see here in America. It is considered waste, and not eaten. It was prepared beautifully, and is the perfect example of why it is the furthest thing from garbage fill.

• debdono7's Profile Photo

The Nook: Don't pass by The Nook

by debdono7 Written Nov 16, 2013

Located in Hell's Kitchen, we try not to miss it when we stay in mid Manhattan. It's tiny and often has people waiting outside. The food is always fresh, interesting and delicious. It's cash only and BYOB. Don't forget to bring a favorite bottle of wine or beer. If we go for brunch we bring our homemade bloody marys! Price range marked is for lunch or brunch - higher for dinner.

Favorite Dish: Omelettes, quiche, mushroom soup, smoked salmon, steak, pork all delicious. Love their house salad dressing, too.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Raffles Bistro: Nice bistro with a friendly atmosphere

by Jefie Written Nov 15, 2013

Raffles Bistro is located at the Lexington Hotel. We walked past it quite a few times on the way to our hotel and thought it looked nice, so on the last day, when we only had a couple hours left to grab lunch before heading to the airport, we decided to give it a try. The atmosphere was very nice and semi-causal, almost like a family restaurant except that most patrons seemed to be workers and travellers. Prices were a little high, but since this was our last lunch, we didn't really mind. I got an egg white omelette with salad and it was really good, though I'm not sure it was worth the $20 I paid for it. On the plus side, portions are fairly large so you'll most likely be satisfied with your meal. Our waitress was very friendly and made us feel very welcome, so all in all we were glad we chose this place for our last lunch in the city.

Last lunch in NYC at Raffles Bistro Roasted tomatoes and spinach omelette

Marrakech Hotel
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Trump International Hotel Tower
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
The Blakely New York
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

New York City Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New York City locals.
Map of New York City