Mesa Grill, New York City

• shutterlust's Profile Photo

Mesa Grill: NYMAG ASSIGN: Mesa Grill

by shutterlust Updated Jun 20, 2006

Mesa Grill House Drinks

One of Bobby Flay's many restaurants (Bobby Flay from the Food Network, the American Grill guy). Fantastic little restaurant near Union Square, right on 5th Avenue, very pleasant, cheery, comfortable but classy decor, with whimsical colors and star-studded lamps. Fantastic space with additional mezzanine seating. Available for lunch, weekend brunch, dine-at-the-bar, kid-friendly, very notable chef, business lunch, good fo groups and full bar! Bobby Flay's books are also on sale here.

Favorite Dish: Try the ribs, the roasted pumpkin and chile soup, the shrimp-corn tamale, cumin-crusted chicken, pan-roasted rabbit and grilled chicken breast.

My favorites: the green pea and green chile soup with mint-cumin crema ($10), the grilled asparagus and goat cheese quesadilla with tomato jam and cilantro yogurt ($11), the fire roasted chicken with plum resno chile glaze and southwestern potato salad ($16.50)

As for drinks, try the house mesa grill margaritz ($10), the cactus pear margarita ($12) and the white peach margarita ($12). Their special is the cactus pear margarita made with Herradura Silver Tequila, cactus pear juice and fresh lime juice.

• Mesa Gill (owner Bobby Flay): A must whenever I am in New York City

by junejbb Updated Jun 10, 2006

Brunch on Saturday or Sunday is a must whenever I am in NYC. I am certain other times are also good, but have only been there for Brunch. Why change when Brunch is always a treat.

Favorite Dish: Southwestern with a little kick. I try something different each time and always want to come back.

• Mesa Grill: Very Good

by Punch Written Jun 12, 2005

Very good. Quality service and the food was excellent. Had the steak and was pleasently surprise -- it wasn't just a steak but had some good tasty.

I had some sort of spicy ice cream for dessert -- it wasn't terribly spicy to my taste. I don't think its on the menu any more.

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Mesa Grill: Southwestern Fare with Bobby Flay Flair

by cruisingbug Updated Mar 18, 2005

Mesa Grill is one of two Bobby Flay restaurants in NYC. (The other is Bolo.) This was our first time dining at Mesa Grill - we had reservations for 6 pm, but showed up a little early. The staff pleasantly and quickly showed us to our (requested) balcony table.

The atmosphere at Mesa is definitely urban - the balcony is open to the central bar area and surrounding tables below, and the whole place echoes with the din of conversation. Not a place for a quiet, romantic dinner, but just fine for a birthday celebration, or drinks after work. The decor is Southwest meets the City - open spaces with huge fans overhead, earth-toned geometric designs, and that big, black bar in the middle of it all.

Our server was very friendly and helpful, and picked up on my sly birthday hint by bringing a candle in hubby's dessert. You could tell that he truly was a fan of the food - as his "recommendations" list pretty much was the entire menu! He also told us that Flay is in the kitchen almost every day - I was surprised, considering all his Food Network shows, books, etc.

Favorite Dish: We started with two appetizers - do-it-yourself soft tacos ($13), which were good, although there were only two, so we each made one. As our server suggested, we made sure to include all the greenery, and the mint was an interesting touch. The meat might have been a little too charred for me. We also had the queso fundido ($13)- a SW fondue of sorts, like a raclette - with melted cheeses in an iron skillet and blue corn chips to dip into it. Excellent - much better than the queso dip I was expecting.

For an entree, I chose the pork tenderloin ($28), as our server mentioned that it was a house original and a longtime favorite. The medallions were thick - like filet mignon, and so tender I actually could cut them with a fork. They came with a delicious sauce - I could only manage to eat 1/2 of the meat. The side dish of sweet potato with cornmeal in a tamale was equally tasty. Hubby had the special - ribeye with some kind of fried potatoes. No leftovers for him! :)

For dessert, we split a warm chocolate cake with dulce de leche and toasted pecan ice cream ($9.50). We both ate as much as we could of the cake. I didn't like the ice cream, so hubby finished that (it was a small scoop anyway).

Overall, the food was simply divine, as one would expect from such a renowned chef. Mesa Grill is pricey, but worth the splurge!

• Business Travel

• Mesa Grill: Southwest Flavors, Urban Style

by Denrael Written Aug 22, 2004

Bobby Flay manages to create amazing tastes building on a southwest theme, but upscaling things in terms of both presentation and taste! I've never had a bad meal here, and the staff is 2nd to none.

Favorite Dish: Just tell the kitchen to fix you something exciting.

• Business Travel

• SNEAKS's Profile Photo

Mesa Grill: Mesa Grill

by SNEAKS Updated Feb 27, 2003

Alway's crowded. You must reserve in advance. Request a seat in the balcony if you want to be intimate or downstairs to sit with the boisterous crowd. This place is expensive; Avg. Entree $28.

Favorite Dish: This is home to celebrity chef Bobby Flay. You will worship Southwestern food after you eat here. For appetizer; order the Blue Corn Encrusted Calimari (so much love in this dish). Entree; The Rabbit Medallians were a work of art. Dessert; You must try the Banana's Foster (heaven on Earth).

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Mesa Grill
3.5 out of 5 stars