Nice Matin, New York City

Magret of duck
  • cjg1's Profile Photo

Nice Matin: Wonderful Steak Frites

by cjg1 Updated Oct 27, 2006

Best Of: Sidewalk Seating, DateHaving just returned here last night I must say I do enjoy the place. It was another of everyone's favorite, word of mouth tips. I first learned of it through a friend who's friend works here behind the bar. Let me tell you she knew exactly what she was talking about. Whether you are sitting inside or outside it is quite comfortable and makes you feel like you are there alone and they are all available just for you. Amazing because it is always crowded when I am there.

Always comforting and relaxing the atmosphere is laid back and the drinks just right. This would be an excellent date place although some might consider it pricey for a first date.

Hours and the current day's specials are always listed on their webpage. Note that they are open for breakfast, lunch, late lunch, and dinner with a brunch on the weekends.

Favorite Dish: My favorite after a couple of samplings of things is by far the steak frites. They do cook it a little more rare than you'd expect for the stated cooking preference so if you expect it one way you might considering stepping up the instructions one level. I ate what was delivered without complaint and it was great.

The wine list and mojitos here are also good.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Nice Matin: New York’s take on the South of France

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

Dinner outside at Nice matin

We had two meals in this bustling French-style brasserie less than a block from our hotel, one a dinner and the other a breakfast. On both occasions I was more satisfied with my meal than Chris, and as I’m generally the fussier of us two I guess I must just have chosen my dishes more carefully, or was simply lucky!

Favorite Dish: For dinner we sat outside, where the traffic was a bit noisy, but we both enjoyed the lively atmosphere on the street. We shared a started of fava bean hummus, which was tasty if a little on the oily side. Chris then had the Salade Nicoise, which was huge and apparently not the best he’s had. I on the other hand really liked my magret of duck with a blue cheese sauce, rocket and a potato cake. As with the starter, we shared a dessert – the mango tarte tatin, which again I thought was very good – an interesting twist on this classic dish. With a beer for Chris and a large glass of rosé wine (from Long Island!) for me, we paid $77 (including tax but not service) – about average for a good meal in this part of town.

The next morning we came back for breakfast. The weather had turned much chillier overnight, so we sat inside at a good table in a raised area with a view of all the comings and goings. But Chris again was a bit disappointed as his omelette lacked flavour, and we both felt the same about the hash browns. My scrambled eggs with smoked salmon however were quite good, and large glasses of orange juice and decent coffee helped a lot.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Nice Matin: Great French place on the Upper Westside

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 12, 2008

I’ve been to Nice Martin on two separate occasions and both times I was not disappointed. The first time we sat outside on a nice summer evening and the second time we decided to have our dinner inside as it was a bit on the windy side.

The wait staff are courteous and helpful. The vibe is laid back and comfy and you don’t even realize how quickly time passes. You don’t feel rushed which is nice since many restaurants are quick to bring you the check as soon as they take away your plates.

Favorite Dish: They have a really nice wine list and their drinks are just as nice. I’ve had both their Duck Magret which was accompanied with turnips and carrots with date puree and roasted pears and their Steak Frites which is their aged black angus steak with béarnaise, both excellent choices.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Nice Matin: A Taste of Provence

by TRimer Written Feb 16, 2005

Nice Matin

I do believe that this is quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants in NYC (given the fact that I have now eaten there twice in 3 days).

The restaurant is named after the largest daily newspaper in the South of France. It is spacious and bustling. There was still a wait for a table at 8pm on a Sunday night. You can always eat at the bar if you are starving and do not want to wait.

Unlike in France, the wait staff is friendly and attentive. Even Fred the sommlier did not make us feel intimidated by the wine list.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is French provencial and Mediterranian with a twist. The three-star chef hails from the now defunct Sign of the Dove, and his specials are worth paying attention to.

You must try their Five Napkin Burger (my order) which comes topped with comté cheese, smeared with aioli and served with a heap of rosemary-flecked fries. Also a must is the hazelnut mousse dessert!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Nice Matin
4.5 out of 5 stars