One if by Land, Two if by Sea, New York City

4 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

17 Barrow St. (212) 228-0822

One If By Land, TIBS
    by jglsongs
  • Pic form website, I did not have my camera.
    Pic form website, I did not have my...
    by Alpha_Ghana
  • One if by Land, Two if by Sea
    by J_P_B
  • One if by Land, Two if by Sea: A sham

by voodoochild Written Sep 24, 2007

When dining in a romantic setting is the only recommendation.

If a restaurant serves good as well as bad food, do you give it the benefit of the doubt? I wouldn't do that with a four-star restaurant so why should I do it here? Especially when most of the dishes I've tried at One if by Land are simply unpalatable.
    One if by Land is actually two restaurants: the main dining room on the ground floor with views over a jewel box garden, and ‘little Siberia’, a low ceiling second floor chicken shack.
    The menu isn't held back by minor glitches; it's flawed in concept and execution. And at $75 a piece, it’s a major problem.
    The service is rushed, the waiters and runners appear at the table panting like dogs after a long chase. I was not informed of any special, received no description of the menu or the courses. This restaurant clearly lives on its image of romance and glitter.
    In a city where romantic dining has improved out of sight in recent years, One if by Land is a bleak spot on the culinary landscape.

Favorite Dish: A generous chock of meat floating in a pool of coagulated ‘wine’ sauce landed with a thud in front of me. I was informed it was my beef Wellington. I was intrigued: last time anyone had beef Wellington in my family, Roosevelt was president. That’s Theodore. The beef was rubbery and tasteless. I scraped the whole wretched garnish to one side. Bordelaise sauce appropriated its name fraudulently, it’s more like a gravy.
    I couldn't help but think at this price I could be dining at the Little Owl.

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

One if by Land, Two if by Sea: One if by Land, Two if by Sea

by Alpha_Ghana Updated Mar 21, 2007

Pic form website, I did not have my camera.

This is probably the most romantic restaurants of NYC. The perfect for a romantic dinner with the loved one (or the one you want to do).
    The food is above the standards of the city (yet very high).
    This is a mix of preparations from everywhere.

Favorite Dish: Kumamoto Oysters and Truffle Capon. That is what I took. Delicious.
    An other way to eat oysters (half cooked with caviar, red pepper)

• StuartSage's Profile Photo

One if by Land, Two if by Sea: Romance by Candlelight!

by StuartSage Written Sep 12, 2004

If romance is on your mind during your trip to New York you can hardly go wrong at this restaurant.

We ate here following plenty of internet research prior to our trip and it paid off in style! Dress to impress - don't worry about the folks in jeans at the bar - you will not look out of place with your best frocks and gear on!

The reputation in NYC is that this is the place to make that most romantic of gestures - the proposal & sure enough at the next table were a young couple - the bloke spent most of the meal fidgeting and looking very very nervous...at the end of the meal, down he went on one knee and hopefully they'll live happy ever after!!!

Favorite Dish: Go for the tasting menu - it's great value

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

One if by Land, Two if by Sea: Romance in 3 courses: One if by Land, TIBS

by jglsongs Written Jan 14, 2004

One If By Land, TIBS

Every guide book, review and article about One If By Land... uses the same adjective: romantic. It's not an overused term- this place is romantic. Take your significant other there and savor every moment.

Favorite Dish: Their Beef Wellington is their signature dish, and let me say the penmanship is perfection. Desserts are amazing too.

• J_P_B's Profile Photo

One If By Land, Two If By Sea: One If By Land, Two If By Sea

by J_P_B Written Aug 26, 2002

Extremely Romantic restaurant - very pricey, but worth every penny for that special someone.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Souffle - well worth the wait! Very tasty.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near One if by Land, Two if by Sea
4.0 out of 5 stars