Oyster Bar, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

Grand Central Terminal. Lower Level 212 490 - 6650

• Selection of oysters and clams from around the wor
    Selection of oysters and clams from...
    by DEY
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station: Overpriced Oysters

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

dinner at the Oyster Bar

We were excited to be dining at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station because:

1. It is in NYC!!
    2. We love oysters
    3. Had read good reviews

We were disappointed.....

The Oyster Bar has been opened since 1913 and has a really good name in New York Restaurant circles.

We had dinner here on a Thursday night. We arrived around 9pm - not late you would think in the "city that doesn't sleep", and our whole meal was very rushed.

In fact we were still eating our entree when our mains arrived.....and when we wanted to order coffee we couldn't get anyones attention - seemed they had all knocked off for the night. It couldn't have been much past 10pm when we left...so much for a nice leisurely meal at a top restaurant....

Favorite Dish: We had an oyster platter for entree, and they were some of the most unpleasant oysters I have ever had.

Main course was fish - sorry can't remember the details, but it was average quality.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo

Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant: Get an oyster pan fry

by Tourtech Updated Apr 4, 2011

The scene of the food.

If you like oysters, head down to the Oyster Bar and get a pan fry.

Eat some raw oysters while you are waiting for your food to come up.

This is a New York experience. ...

If you are with othe travellers who do not like oysters, there is a pretty good food court downstairs too. Lots of different variety and decent quality because they serve NYC commuters.

Favorite Dish: The pay fry is unique, tastes good and you decide where your ingredients are going to come from for the meal....

That is a wee bit different....

• Trains

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar: Yet Another Reason To Visit Grand Central Station

by tomhoward Updated Jul 16, 2006

Menu

This is the pearl in Grand Central Stations shell. Hidden away in the lower levels of the station, the Oyster Bar can be tricky to find (we stumbled across it by chance).

Serving a variety of seafood, it's one of those places you would just stop for a snack or to pass a few minutes waiting for a train. i.e. wouldn't be my first choice for a meal in New York.

The Oyster Bar has a strange cavernous feel to it, thanks to the tiled concave ceilings that are highlighted with strings of white lights. It retains its original 1910's - 20's features and charm, so much so that it would be easy to think you are Jack Nicholson ordering a drink in the dream sequence of The Shining.

The seating is based on 4 U-shaped mini bars, each served by their own member of staff. One of the largest selections of oysters you'll ever see ranging from about $1.50 up to $3. Our favourites being the Bluepoints that had just the right size / taste combo.

On our first trip here the dippy waitress brought us twice as many oysters as we ordered, and when we refused to pay for them, she gave us a sob story about how she would have to fork out from her own wages. After trying (unsuccessfully) to convince us to eat them, she finally took the uneaten ones back, binning them in front of us.

As you pay on the way out, she then gave us our bill, and $8 of her own cash. We then had a guilt trip and agreed to go halves with her.

Oh, and better take a dollar into the bogs cos Delbert Grady and his cologne collection want some money.

Favorite Dish: The obvious, but saw some great lobsters coming out of the kitchen.

More NYC oyster bars to be found on CitySearch.

• Luxury Travel

• MINOSUKE's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar: Delicious Clam Chowder and Of Course Oysters

by MINOSUKE Updated Apr 4, 2011

New England Clam Chowder

Going to Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station and trying clam chowder there was what my husband had told me to do in New York. He did it more than 10 years ago and liked the chowder very much, so, to him, it was a must-do.
    I sat at the counter of the bar with my friends. When the clam chowder was served, I was astonished at the quantity (the size of the dish). It was very delicious and went well with the biscuits and the scones. Only these things made me almost full.

Favorite Dish: Of course Clam Chowder. There are two kinds of clam chowder here. New England Clam Chowder (white sauce) and Manhattan Clam Chowder (tomato taste). We all ordered New England one.
    Since this is 'Oyster' Bar, you should try oysters.
    I have allergy to raw oysters, so we ordered Fried Oysters. The oysters were small ones and fried crisply. We squeezed limon on the oysters. They were so delisious.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

THE OYSTER BAR / RESTAURANT: HERE I DIDN'T DARE PROMISE THAT.....

by eden_teuling Written Mar 29, 2003

INFO OYSTERBAR NEW YORK

This is a GRAND PLACE.....

This world famous restaurant opened in New York's Landmark Grand Central Station soon after its completion in 1913.

The restaurant became an instant success with CELEBRITIES like Lilian Russell and Diamond Jim Brady.

Today the Oyster Bar is a "must visit" spot serving an INCREDABLE VARIETY os fresh fish and oysters daily as well as many UNIQUE specialities.

The prices are most expensive so we were only allowed to have a look, thanks to our Professor whom they knew (he lives in New York)....

Favorite Dish: It must be perfect whatever you order, I suppose.....

Open: weekdays for lunch and dinner.

Last seating 9.30PM

Call for reservations: (212) 490 6650!

Our professor told us (and he can know!!) that the tiles are very special because they can be used in all the bent lines and curves and arches.....sorry I forgot the name.......

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo

Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant: Under the Sea in Grand Central

by AliasGirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

This local seafood restaurant is home to many New Yorkers, especially in the winter. Since it is centrally located in Manhattan in Grand Central it is a very busy spot for lunch. You will find a variety of groups enjoying this seafood fare; business luncheons, friendly lunch get togethers, commuters and of course clever tourists.

There is nothing special about the decor, you don't come here for the elegant ambience- you come here for the delicious yet elegant looking food. There are actually two parts to this restaurant; the red & white checkered tables and the quick lunch counters. Depending on your time and casualness you choose your location. We have spent time at both locales. Both are equal in good service and great food.

In the winter time, this place is especially packed due to their incredible chowders (New England and Manhattan). They serve you a large deep bowl and all the saltine crackers you can eat with it. Its fantastic. Sometimes, thats all you need for lunch! (And at $6.00, that's a bargain!) Two can eat lunch for roughly $15.00.

Favorite Dish: The fish is nothing but fantastic! The service is top notch.

If you order any type of shelfish dish, they will bring you your dish and then de-shell right in front of you with ease.

I can't say enough goods things about this place!

My favorite dishes include: New England Clam Chowder, raw oysters - bluepoint, clams - little neck and the Medley of Fresh Shellfish with 1/2 Lobster! De-lish!!

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar Restaurant: Landmark Seafood Restaurant

by TexasDave Updated Jul 9, 2014

Oyster Bar Entrance

Serving oysters and assorted other seafood to travelers since the opening of Grand Central Station in 1913, this is a nice place to enjoy good food and a very New York experience, especially if you sit at the serpintine counter, diner-style. There is also a restaurant area with tables and a literal bar serving oysters, each variety labeled according to the bay it was harvested from.

This can be an expensive meal with the entrees ranging from $18 to $45, but also for about $6 you can get a bowl of clam chowder. They serve both the creamy New England and the tomato based Manhattan styles.

• Deborahtnc's Profile Photo

Pearl Oyster Bar: Best Oysters ever!

by Deborahtnc Updated Apr 4, 2011

Look at the size of those oysters!

There are actually 5 mini restaurants in this restaurant located in Grand Central Station. You can eat in the actual sit down restaurant part (there was a 45 minute wait the day we went at lunch time), or you can eat in the small bar or at the lunch counter where we sat. Additonally there is another bar, The Saloon, at the back right, behind the lunch counter. There is also a take out window outside the whole complex. For bang for your buck, the lunch counter is great. The service is exceptionally fast. We had a menu, silverware, crackers and had ordered within the first 5 minutes. The food came soon after. If I had time to kill, I would sit in the main bar and watch the world go by.

Favorite Dish: The oysters on the half shell were exceptional. I ordered an assortment of 12 and the extra large Little Necks were the best I have ever eaten (and I do love my oysters). Had to cut them in half to eat them. We also had New England Clam chowder to die for along with an Oyster Po' Boy sandwich which we shared...and beer to wash it all down. I only saw happy people there.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar: Incredible Oyster Selection

by MatthewMetcalfe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Bad Photo of the Entrance. Good Seafood.

The Oyster Bar is located in Grand Central Station. They serve a variety of Seafood but specialize in Oysters from all over North America. They also have an excellent selection of other seafood and fresh fish daily.

The Character of the Restaurant is highlighted by vaulted brick ceilings. It's a very busy place but the service was excellent as was the food.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the Blackened Snapper which was fantastic. If you do not like spicy food though, beware, it's full strength. The Clam Chowder was excellent as well.

Although I'm not much for Oysters, I felt obliged to try one. I had a Blue Point Oyster with a little cocktail sauce. It was excellent although I probably would not eat a dozen of them.

• kucha's Profile Photo

The Oyster Bar in Grand...

by kucha Written Sep 7, 2002

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central.
    A great choice to see both the gorgeous restoration of Grand Central station (with its myriad of new stores and excellent restaurants), as well as a view of a classic 'old New York' restaurant. The oysters are fresh and the service good.

Favorite Dish: Oyster stew. Oysters on the half shell.

• Pamela_Peace's Profile Photo

You can never go wrong eating...

by Pamela_Peace Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can never go wrong eating with the locals, so dine at least once at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. It closes at 9:00 on Friday night and is often loud in the main dining room, but is well worth the effort. A nice quiet bar off to the right of the restaurant offers the same menu (which is quite extensive!!!) My favorites are Cherrystone clams, Bouillabaise (House Specialty) and Oyster Pan Roast. Forget the diets - just walk instead of taking a cab.

• DEY's Profile Photo

Oyster Bar, Grand Central Station: Great Lunchtime place!

by DEY Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great selection!

This was a great interlude during a cold and busy day. The oyster stew was the best I've ever had and the raw bar was great!

Favorite Dish: Oyster Stew - It was fresh and very tasty.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Oyster Bar
4.0 out of 5 stars