Pig 'n' Whistle, New York City

Liz & I enjoying a night of fun
    Our girl Nathalie
    Apple Pie & Ice cream
  • 850prc's Profile Photo

The Pig 'n Whistle, 47th Street: How about some hearty pub fare for dinner?

by 850prc Updated May 6, 2010

Have a pint or two at the Pig

If you're spending a few days in the Big Apple, and you (a) might like to eat a more informal and inexpensive meal some night and (b) you dig pub food, then you HAVE to find yourself one of the city's many Irish pubs and strap on the feed bag. There are a myriad of choices, you'll see what I mean if you go to menupages.com and type in "pubs". Let's talk about one we visited in the theater district (Midtown West) during our spring 2010 trip.... the Pig 'n Whistle over on 47th street.

I kind of scouted out the Pig well before we arrived in NYC. I'd noted that one of their locations (I think there are two) was over on 47th street, only a block from our hotel AND very close to a theater for which we had tickets one evening. So, one afternoon around 530, we slid over to the Pig for dinner and we were not disappointed.

Friendly, comfortable, a nice menu, fair fare prices ... you'll find it all here. In some ways, it' has a little bit of that "Cheers" feel, from the old TV show, although Cheers didn't serve food.

So, if Irish pub food sounds like your cup of tea (which you can find here too), check out the Pig. And a BONUS tip here, something new that you can learn without reading or rating anything else.... I've also - in the past - visited O'Brien's Irish Pub, over on 46th street. They have pretty good food, and it's a great place for a later evening pint or two.

Favorite Dish: The Pig has a nice menu - appetizers, sandwiches, pub specialties and even steaks and chops. And of course, there's a full bar and a nice selection of beer and ales on tap.

Bonnie chose one of her all-time favorites for dinner - CHICKEN POT PIE, and she said it was true comfort food.

Sara also went with traditional pub grub, picking the Irish fish and chips. I had a bite or two, and it was very tasty, well done and quite authentic.

Me? When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right? Well, that means when in the pig, have something that has the word pig in the name. I chose the PIG BURGER, which was a huge hunk of meat, cooked perfectly to my medium well request. Add monterey jack cheese, carmelized onions and peppers, and some great steak fries, and it's pub perfection.

Bonnie and I went with a brew or two with dinner, she opted for the ubiquitous Bud on tap. I chose the Harp Lager, and it was very nice, kind of medium bold and satisfying. I had a couple and would have had the third had we not needed to depart for the theater.

For a full idea of the Pig 'n Whistle menu, check out their excellent website. Nice and informative. Heck, it put them on my radar several weeks ahead of our trip.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Pig 'n' Whistle: A place were VTers meet

by Nathalie_B Updated Mar 11, 2006

With Andy, Ade, and Andrea

I suddenly realized that Pig 'n' Whistle is not among my restaurant tips. How come?? We had plenty of VT meetings here, and people liked the place.

It is a very nice Irish bar-restaurant which I highly recommend for meeting friends for a lovely evening.
    Before you go there click HERE

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Pig N Whistle: Mini VT Meet with Nathalie B

by cjg1 Written Nov 13, 2008

Liz & I enjoying a night of fun

One of my favorite people, Nathalie B was in ew York for a short visit. Liz, David (newyorkerman) and I met up with Nathalie at the Pig n Whistle for some food and drinks. The place is crowded without being overbearing. The food and service were both good.

We had fun after our meal listening to the awful band and having fun. Liz and Nat were busy requesting songs for them to "butcher", I mean play.

Favorite Dish: Liz and I were hunger but not starving so we decidd to split an order of sliders and some spinach dip. Both were very good especially the sliders. David had a steak salad which looked incredible. I'm not sure what Nat and her two friends had but one of them had mussels which looked and smelled great.

Liz of course wantd dessert so she had the warm apple pie a la mode. I had the cheesecake which was good but not the best I have had. David had the pecan pie.

• illtryanythingonce's Profile Photo

Pig N Whistle: Try this for a quick bite

by illtryanythingonce Written Jan 1, 2011

The usual Irish Pub - has a small downstairs with large bar, but can go upstairs if the lower level is too busy. Watch some football, have a few Guiness's and some pub food. Fun place - location is just right if you are in Times Square.

Favorite Dish: The beer. Food is good but maybe a bit pricey - save your dinner dollars for another place, but stop in for some "suds". There are lots of Irish pubs in NYC - this one has a great location.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• W1AB's Profile Photo

Pig 'n' Whistle: Even Santa stops at the Pig 'n' Whistle

by W1AB Updated Dec 23, 2006
    December 18, 2006

A good Irish pub.

Favorite Dish: We go to the P&W to enjoy the cider! The appetizer sampler is a meal unto itself, and very good.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels