Quintessence, New York City

by TempNomad

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

Quintessence Restaurant: Raw, and delicious

by TempNomad Written Jul 30, 2003

This is quite an experience for those unfamiliar with Raw Vegan dishes. I loved it...and wanted to order a little of everything. My boyfriend was less than enthusiastic. What a sport! We went to the one on the Upper West Side before seeing a film and we found it be accident. It was quiet, calm, and very comfortable. When the candles came out, it added a little bit of a romantic mood - but not too much. It's a small place, and the kitchen is semi-open to the dining room. There are tiny sprays of fresh flowers on each table, which I loved.

There are many, many choices for dishes, so no-one needs to feel forced into trying something too "weird." Typically uncooked things like salads, guacamole, hummos are also available.

Favorite Dish: I had the sun-dried tomato ravioli. It was really, really good. The pasta for the ravioli is actually made of thinly sliced turnip, and if you get the spaghetti type pasta it's actually squash. I'm trying that next time.

I also had a wonderful cucumber dill soup, and we also ordered the Peter's Pot house soup - again, I loved it - and my boyfriend was appreciative, but not enthusiastic.

I also tried a dessert; the mud-slide pie was good. I'm a big choco-holic, so it didn't quite make me satisfied, but I ate most of it. I think the pecan pie would have been a better choice.

The low-key Upper West Side location