River Cafe, New York City

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

River Cafe: River Cafe - Brooklyn Bridge Walk

by Mikebb Updated Aug 2, 2007

Entrance To The River Cafe

We did not eat at the restaurant but happened to walk past it when we visited the Brooklyn Waterfront , the old Fulton Ferry Landing. We had seen the TV program on Foxtel in Australia and soon recognised the restaurant , but as it was 4pm it looked like it had finished lunch and we dare not go and just ask for a coffee.

It is in a great location with fantastic views across the East River to the Seaport Historic District and parts of Manhattan. The gardens around the restaurant are very colourful.

The ideal day would be lunch at the River Cafe and then walk the Brooklyn Bridge, we walked the bridge and enjoyed the fantastic views.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

River Cafe: Dining with the best view of Downtown.

by seamandrew Written Jul 30, 2006

Once you see this sign, you've found the place!

I got to dine at the River Cafe during the summer restaurant week of 2006. I went with a bunch of co-workers and took the long ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn, and the subsequent walk. The restaurant is as you may have figured, in Brooklyn, and located on a barge on the waterfront. The views from the dining room towards downtown Manhattan and of the Brooklyn Bridge are incredible. That alone makes the experience worthwhile, but the excellent service and fantastic food just makes for a extremely well-rounded experience. I ordered off the restaurant week menu which included items from their normal menu. The regular menu was diverse and offered many tempting dishes I did not get to try. What I did get to try was just wonderful, and the wine I tried (the house Pinot Grigio) was quite smooth. All in all, it was a great experience. The restaurant is not cheap and business casual is the minimum in terms of attire. I think they prefer men to wear jackets. Oh, and make reservations! A must! One final item, a critique I'm afraid. They over cook their Filet. They did everything right to correct this mistake, except prepare it medium-rare. The free dessert more than made up for it (my colleague experienced this).

Favorite Dish: I had the lamb meatball appetizer followed by the seared Maine scallops. Sooooo good! The desserts were out of this world!

• madamx's Profile Photo

River Cafe

by madamx Updated Oct 30, 2005

customized Brookly Bridge cake

The River Cafe is situated in Brooklyn; in fact, it floats right under the Brooklyn Bridge, and has killer views of Lower Manhattan. There are no bad seats in the house, as the restaurant is fairly small, and the windows that look out over the East River run the whole length of the restaurant. The River Cafe is highly romantic and perfect for every special occasion; the flower arrangements and decor with plants and flowers were really something to see

I know that the restaurant is known as a Tourist Trap, but I really don't understand why; the food was excellent, service impeccable, and this IS a classy restaurant -- we're talking linen and actual silverware. We went for brunch as it was my friend's birthday, and what better way to celebrate than Sunday Brunch at the River Cafe. I must say the staff are the greatest, as it was our first day in New York, the subways weren't running, we got lost, and arriving disheveled and 1/2 an hour late, they still held our table for us.

Favorite Dish: The food is fabulous, really. Brunch is a prix fixe menu at $40, and I must say it is worth every penny. We started with an amuse bouche of scrambled quail egg with smoked salmon and delicate toast fingers, presented in a hollowed-out egg. A basket soon arrived filled with warm scones and mini muffins, accompanied by excellent preserves. My friend chose a smoked trout appetizer and seared black sea bass for her brunch, and all I had to do was look at her face to see how excellent it was -- no words were needed. I had the smoked salmon terrine with osetra caviar appetizer, plus the duck steak and egg: magret of duck, duck sausage, and a poached duck egg with mushroom sauce. Sinfully good. Adding to the atmosphere was someone at the grand piano, and a gloriously sunny day in New York, as we looked out over the East River.

Of course, dessert had to be none other than the kitschy Brooklyn Bridge Cake -- chocolate and hazelnut ganache shaped like the Brooklyn Bridge, accompanied by ice cream and a birthday candle. Touristy never tasted better.

• anders1975's Profile Photo

The River Cafe: An astonishing view

by anders1975 Written Mar 8, 2005

Seated on a boat under the Brooklyn Bridge, the River Cafe gives you a splendid view over the Manhattan skyline. It's a pricy restaurant, but worth the quid if you're out for an excellent evening. Walk the Brooklyn bridge as an appetizer and enjoy first class food from the restaurant's set menus.

Favorite Dish: I had a choice of four seafood tastings and one lamb. The chef's signature was great (around $90), but one can choose at three course for around $75, which makes the portions bigger than the tasting menu.

• The River Cafe: excellent view of New York, excellent food

by bkk800 Written Oct 9, 2004

The restaurant is under Brooklyn Bridge with a view of the New York skyline out of the window. There is a piano player, excellent food, excellent service. The trees outside have fairy lights on them, book early to avoid disappointment, ideally, try to get a seat next to the window.

Favorite Dish: Dishes change, but they are all good from what I can see.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

The River Cafe: For a Special Romantic Evening

by TexasDave Written Apr 28, 2008

Stunning location, world class menu. This is for a special occasion. Evenings they offer a prix fixe for $95 a person. During Restaurant Week (usually in March) you can have lunch for $23 a person.

• Pamela_Peace's Profile Photo

For one of the most impressive...

by Pamela_Peace Updated Mar 30, 2008

For one of the most impressive views of Manhattan, visit the River Cafe in Brooklyn, under the bridge. It is expensive, but worth it - skip lunch and splurge on this one. Reservations necessary.

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo

the river cafè: the river cafè

by hivaoa1 Updated May 23, 2005

i was here for a wedding and i went back for some drinks with friends

i love the location
    it's sooooooo nice

Favorite Dish: it's close to brookly bridge, just under it, in brooklyn

• The River Cafè: the most scenic restaurant in NYC

by randychiara Written Feb 3, 2004

this restaurant is where my cousin made his wedding party

i totally love the location and the food and drinks are SUPERB!

Favorite Dish: My fave is rice with white truffle

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near River Cafe
4.0 out of 5 stars