Rosie O'Grady's, New York City

by LisaMJ
  • pure1942's Profile Photo

Rosie O'Grady's: Great Steak

by pure1942 Written Mar 13, 2008

I was never much for Steak when I ate out. I was more of a chicken person. That is until I ate a steak in Rosie O' Grady's in New York. Problem is I haven't got a steak as good as since then. Would really recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a good steak in nice comfortable surroundings. The steakhouse is close to Times Square. Reservations are advisable as the restaurant can be very busy.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Rosie O'Gradys: Good pub with good food

by vichatherly Written Dec 3, 2004
    Rosie O'Gradys Saloon

A good Irish bar in Midtown serving all the things that you want after a hard days sightseeing or shopping. Just up from Times Square so this means it is probably full of tourist, but then at least they are well prepared for our idioscyncracies.

A warm and informal atmosphere. We sat at the bar whilst waiting for a table.

Favorite Dish: I had the steak again (well my excuse it that we don't get steaks like that in the UK) and was not disappointed.

They did however forget my side order of onion rings or were they thinkling that I couldn't possibly eat it all.

• LisaMJ's Profile Photo

Rose O Grady's: Go on an empty stomach!

by LisaMJ Written Sep 22, 2004

Rosie O Grady's

This restaurant is a steak and seafood joint, in a kind of pub style setting.

We wanted a more relaxed dinner that evening, where we didn't have to dress up, and so chose Rosie's.

The husband was pleased to get a pint of Guiness in his hand, because it had been what........oooooo...........18 hours since he'd last had one? Shock horror ;-)

The menu is true winter warming food - which was good seeing as it was December and like the Ice age outside.

I started with wild mushrooms sauteed in red wine and served in puff pastry, while my husband had the crock of french onion soup with mozarella and croutons.

Ok, you need to be really hungry, or have a huge appetite to eat 2 courses here, I'm serious! Both out starters could have been a main course.

The crock of soup was the size of our biggest saucepan at home, and the croutons the size of golf balls - it was great and tasted really good. Perhaps too good because as our filet mignon arrived, I suddenly realised I might not be able to handle it!

Still, we persevered, and managed to clear about half the plate.

Favorite Dish: All of it - it really does taste like home cooking.

Our steaks were cooked just they way we liked, and even though I was nearly full after the starter, I ate the main course the way my Dad always told me to:

'Eat the meat first'! My Dad used to like to think us kids had at least all eaten the most expensive part of the meal even if we did leave the potatoes and vegetables.

The dessert menu looked divine, but I think they would have had to roll me home "Violet from Willy Wonka" style if I had indulged in a dessert.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Rosie O'Grady's
3.5 out of 5 stars