Sardi's, New York City

• starship's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Legendary Haunt of the Theater Crowd

by starship Updated Feb 23, 2013

Postcard from Sardi's Restaurant

The name, Sardi's is virtually synonymous with Broadway. In the heart of "The Theater District," the restaurant is very popular for pre-theater and post-theater dining, and "opening-night" parties. The scores of celebrity, framed, caricature drawings hanging in the restaurant is legendary and the Sardi's name in white script on a burgundy background leaves no doubt that you are at the famous restaurant. The famous signature is also frequently shown with the masks of comedy and tragedy. I'm not sure about now, but Sardi's used to be quite famous for Broadway stars dining here after the theaters closed at night.

My first visit to Sardi's took place in 1972 courtesy of my wonderful cousin who had also treated us to a performance of "Applause, Applause" that evening on my first trip to New York City. Seated at a table on the first floor, I was simply in awe as actress Angela Lansbury made her way across the room. I believe another Broadway star also was in the restaurant that evening, but I don't recall his name. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had for dinner that evening except for dessert which I thought was called "La Dolce Vita" but which was probably "Boccone Dolce" which is still on the menu!

My second visit there was with my son while we were in New York on a Saturday bus trip to see the play, "The Odd Couple," with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick5S4. We had not made reservations for Sardi's, and in fact had actually planned at eating at another restaurant; but, when we passed Sardi's, I decided my son should experience the restaurant at least once.

We had no problem getting a table, but it was located on the second floor. Still, the room was warm and inviting and show-business caricature drawings filled the walls in this room too. Service was prompt and courteous.

Favorite Dish: We were very happy with the good food and service. My son had a grilled chicken club with bacon, lettuce and tomato which could have easily fed two people, especially since french fries also came with it ($16 at the time!!). I had the pasta with chicken ( about $20 or so) which was quite good and and I believe it came with a salad. The portion was also generous enough to feed two people as well.

As lunch prices go in New York, I think the restaurant was probably comparable to other restaurants. I was glad my son had the opportunity to dine in this legendary place. As the service was very good, and unobtrusive, I tipped the customary full 20%. Unfortunately, we didn't see any Broadway stars dining here that day, but we had a great experience and I would dine there again if splurging.

The restaurant was also very generous with matchbooks emblazoned with their signature white name in script on a burgundy background as well as free postcards showing the interior of the restaurant (a custom in New York?). I was thrilled.

If you are traveling on a budget, you may still wish to splurge at Sardi's during lunch when the prices are somewhat less expensive and two can possibly share a meal.

• SisterMoon's Profile Photo

Sardi's: By far, the best French toast ever

by SisterMoon Written Oct 21, 2007

We needed a place near the Helen Hayes Theater to grab a bite before the Xanadu Sunday matinee. As soon as we walked in (about a hour and a half before showtime), the maitre d' asked if we were going to the afternoon show and made sure we got out of there on time, but without rushing us. And the staff was attentive without being overbearing. Overall, it felt like a high-end restaurant but without being stuffy. We were dressed nicely for the show, but it seemed fairly casual overall.

Favorite Dish: Since it was a Sunday afternoon, I opted for the brioche French toast with cinnamon sauteed apples. I don't know what they do to it (maybe it's the brioche bread), but it was out of this world, by far the best I've ever had and totally worth the $13.50. I have never eaten so slowly, but I didn't want my meal to end.

My friend had the Parma Prosciutto with Chilled Asparagus Drizzled with Truffle Oil and Jumbo Lump Crabcakes served with Napa Cabbage, Bell Pepper, Carrot, Cucumber, and Tatsoi Salad with Hot and Sour Dressing and Spicy Mango Aioli. (You can tell which of us is the more adventuresome eater.) I think we both agreed this was the best meal we had on our trip.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

Sardi's: A New York Institution!

by paulapes Updated Aug 7, 2007

Sardi's exterior

I finally decided (after MUCH thought) to go to Sardi's for lunch. IT WAS TERRIFIC! Sardi's is just off Broadway, next to the Helen Hayes Theatre and it's been in operation for more than 80 years. It was wonderful---we were so happy we went there.
    The staff was great, prices were pretty high (though probably average for NYC). My lunch totaled $29.00 without tip. It was worth every single penny, I swear, and I'd definitely go again.
    Be sure to make a reservation--which you can do on their website, by the way.

Open Tuesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner. Late supper is served from Tuesday through Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I had Maryland Crab Cakes with Chipotle Chile Aioli; Roasted Sweet Corn, Bell Peppers, Frisee and Mizzuna Salad drizzled with Roasted Vine-ripened Tomato and Oregano Vinaigrette -it was delicious! And then for dessert---Boccone Dolce! Ahhhhhhh, it was a slice of Heaven for sure :o)

• jgalb's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Must eat here!

by jgalb Updated Jun 16, 2005

The restaurant is amazing and it's in the Broadway district. The food was to die for, but expensive. Great service and experience.

Favorite Dish: I can't pronounce most of the menu..haha. Everything I had was wonderful.

• Tupelodan's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Surpasses its reputation

by Tupelodan Written May 14, 2004

You've heard about Sardi's all your life ... there's a reason. Best overall dining experience I've had in NY. We made reseravations only an hour earlier, yet we were treated as well as Rudy G. Wonderful staff and outstanding food. It's more than the food, though; it's the experience.

Favorite Dish: I had a filet that was exactly as I ordered (medium-rare). I also ate some of my wife's fish (I forget which kind), and it was almost as good.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Hey check that autograph out!

by CdnJane Written Mar 18, 2004

Sardi's is well known for being a restaurant where the celebrities of days gone by like to eat. I base that on seeing all the autographed caricatures on the walls, and the fact that I ran into Carol Channing and her family coming out as I was going in.
    The decor was that of the dining rooms of old, red velvet, gold, plush... shabby chic perhaps?
    The food is Italian and I don't recall anything that stuck out in my mind, either good nor bad.

Favorite Dish: All the old standard Italian fare. I think I had the veal picata or something like that.

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Another New York Landmark

by seagoingJLW Written Mar 18, 2003

Sardi's Sign

Located in the heart of the theater district, Sardi's more or less personifies Broadway dining.

Favorite Dish: There are Hirschfield sketches of theatrical personnel all over the walls. Tioy may spot some very famous people here.

The food is good, but the place is expensive.

• Kay_C's Profile Photo

Sardi's: Sardi's

by Kay_C Written Aug 25, 2002

This restaurant has been in business in NYC's theater district for almost 80 years. They are famous for the caricatures of stars from throughout the years that are framed and hung on the walls throughout the restaurant. Some people call this place a tourist trap but I thought it was kind of cool.

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

Hotels Near Sardi's
4.0 out of 5 stars