Serendipity, New York City

Outside the restaurant
    by risse73
    Frozen Hot Chocolate
    by DJ_Rolo
    Goat cheese blue chip nachos
    by londonlover
  • Serendipty 3, New York: Dont forget your wallet

by shargale Written Dec 11, 2011

The food is very over rated especially considering the prices. However the surroundings are really nice and that is what makes the experience.

There booking system is shocking, they don't seem to be aware of modern technology your choices are either ring them or stand outstand the restuarant an 1-2hours before hand and hope you can get in. God help you if try and email a booking the only response you get is you have to ring a bit hard if live in another country.

Favorite Dish: Food wise nothing really stood out.

They are famous for their ice cream sundae but it is not my thing.

• Serendipity: Dont miss the chicken casserole

by jackadagabz Updated Aug 16, 2011

I love this place. The chicken casserole is amazing and so is the service. Im not a chocolate lover but the frozen hot chocolate looks relly good. My little sister loves it!!!! The manager is a very nice woman and one of my good friends. If you are coming to get desert get the cheese cake sunday.

Debbie if you read this we hope to see you sooon

Love,
    Jack and the rest of the Daileys

Favorite Dish: Chicken Casserole

• Luxury Travel
    • Desert

• krismsong's Profile Photo

Serendipity 3: Are you kidding me?! This place is filthy

by krismsong Written Apr 12, 2011

This place is so over-hyped it is ridiculous. If you want a sweet, stop by Dylan's (also over-hyped and overpriced, but at least it is clean). This place gets a lot of press with its gold flaked desserts, but what people don't remember was that this place was shut down due to rat and bug infestation. I know Serendipity's frozen hot chocolate is very tempting, but dine here at your own risk.

The Serendipity up in Boston is much better managed and clean.

• mariahc1's Profile Photo

Serendipity 3: very rude lady at the front

by mariahc1 Written Mar 21, 2011

I'm afraid I do not have an opinion on the supposedly-lovely dessert of this place since we were not given the chance to enjoy it. I know that people should book a table in this restaurant because it is small and very popular. However, in case you don't happen to book a table in advance, that doesn't mean that you will be shouted at and be treated rudely, right? It was Tuesday at noon and we were in the neightbourhood, so my husband and I decided to try their delicious ice-cream. Sadly, there was a very RUDE old lady who not only shouted at us for not booking, she also said "give me your names, sit there and wait". Never before had we been treated in a more rude and bad way. Of course we left. We were very polite to her, we were tourists and we did nothing wrong. We just kindly asked if there was a table available. We are regulars in NY but we will never set foot there again.

• Serendipity 3: Not too friendly

by newyorkfan Updated Oct 25, 2010

Take care, the prices are high for what the food is. Some of the staff, especially the guy who arranges the seating arrangements on the day is very rude and unhelpful. Have been there several times but this time walked away after waiting outside for over half an hour because of this guy's rudeness. Wasn't going to pay high prices after being spoken to like a piece of dirt. You have been warned!!!!!! There are just as good places around. The staff play on the popularity and the fact that celebreties go there.

Favorite Dish: Nothing special

• Theater Travel

• Serendipity: Desserts are great

by mathewturk Written Jun 27, 2010

The food in this restaurant is little bit over priced but for desserts i find this is the best place in NYC.
    Dont miss this restaurant while vacationing in New york

Favorite Dish: GUINNESS WORLD RECORD
    Golden Opulence Sundae $1,000.00

• noemismith's Profile Photo

Serendipity: You don't have to wait!

by noemismith Written Jul 3, 2008

I've been to this restaurant several times, but never for regular food, only for desserts. I'm sure the regular food is good, but the wait is waaaay too long, even on a weekday, even when the weather is so horrible you can't imagine why anyone would wait on line. What I have (almost) always done is have a light dinner with a couple of friends, have a couple of drinks, arrive at Serendipity after midnight, and attack one of the desserts. Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone could eat there and still have room for the best part!
    Strawberry Fields is my absolute favorite. Frozen Hot Chocolate is great too, but for all the hype it gets, it's a little disappointing when you get it and it's basically a frozen choocolate slushie. If you're really into chocolate, they have another chocolate desert that comes with hot fudge and chocolate cake...amazing. This place is not to be missed!

Favorite Dish: I think it's called Strawberry Fields...a mountain of rich and creamy strawberry ice cream, layered with delicious cheesecake, fresh strawberries, and strawberry syrup. Topped off with fresh whipped cream. This is one of the best, most decadent deserts I have ever had in my life.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Famous New York Dining Spot

by risse73 Updated Mar 20, 2008

Outside the restaurant

Serendipity is a New York landmark. When in New York, you can't miss visiting this restaurant. It is over-rated and touristy, but it is famous because they have established themselves uniquely long ago when others have not thought about the "frozen hot chocolate" and other goodies. So, why not try it when you're in town to check it out yourself?

I received great service. My waiter was highly skilled, efficient and pleasant. I will definitely go back to Serendipity when the opportunity arises again.

I suggest to go there early (before the lunch/dinner peak periods) as this tiny place gets packed quickly.

Favorite Dish: The frozen hot chocolate, yummy sundaes, other mouth-watering desserts, and other good ol' American fare (e.g., chicket pot pie, etc.).

• Theater Travel
    • Museum Visits

• Serendipity: Family UNfriendly

by nymommy Updated Oct 24, 2007

Although we have been to Serendipity in the past for dessert and found it pleasurable, we had a very unsweet experience when we recently tried to go with our toddler.
    First they told us we had to leave the stroller outside (in the rain) and then off-handedly mentioned that it was at our own risk... When I said We didn't' seem to have much of a choice, the host made a snippy noise and rolled his eyes.
    When we were given our table I asked for a high chair and was told they had none. We had to leave.
    I was pretty suprised that a place serving up burgers and ice cream sundaes wouldn't cater more to the family crowd or at least not discriminate against us by not having the basics (ex: high chair or somewhere to store a folded stroller other than on a stoop outside in the rain)

Very unsatisfied.

• Serendipity: Worst Customer Service Ever!!!

by tomuchjunkmail Updated Jul 28, 2007

After hearing Oprah's glowing review of Serendipity 3 we decided to make a stop on our recent trip to NY. The front desk staff were extremely rude and unfriendly. I was standing there right in front of them and they would not acknowledge me at all. I had to ask if I could please get on the list. And they acted like I was putting them out. There were actually people calling on the phone to complain (several while we were standing there) and the front desk staff were laughing and making fun of them. The male host was also making rude comments about the busboys. And I saw him treat another customer so rudely it was honestly hard to believe. Several of us in line were shaking our heads and rolling our eyes at one another. The manager was an older woman (reminded me of Roz from Monsters Inc.) and she was also so unfriendly. We wanted to leave but after waiting for 45 minutes I was not leaving without the damn frozen hot chocolate!!! It took us a good 15 minutes to be greeted by our waiter and the service was lukewarm at best. We also were told there was an $8.50 minimum per person, which we were not happy about, but we went ahead and ordered 2 frozen hot chocolates instead of the one we wanted to split. One ended up going completely to waste. I have to say the dessert was delicious, but I would never step foot in this place again. I am sure Oprah has brought them tons of business and maybe it has gone to their head now. I honestly have never been treated so rudely in my life in a restaurant. The manager was really rude to my children and told them they needed to be quiet and behave in her establishment when they were not acting up in the first place. If you are dying to try the frozen hot chocolate you can order it on line and make it at home. Don't waste your time going to this over-hyped place where I can guarantee you will be treated like garbage. Life is too short!!

• Serendipity: Don't waste time and money!

by mkotzian Written Jun 25, 2007

I was recently in NY and decided to give Serendipity a try. It is one of those places you hear about that was great but I believe that was back in the day. Upon arriving I was told an hour and a half wait and this was at midnight. We were finally seated upstairs where the table was dirty and the roof above us was peeling off. It was all in all rather dirty. We saw the size of the desserts and had heard about the amazing hot chocolate so the three of us opted for hot chocolate all around as it was now 1:30 a.m. and the air conditioning was freezing. The waiter came and we tried to order but were told that there was a $8.50 minimum (the hot chocolate is $4.50) but all they were serving was desserts. We were appalled as the rude host or manager in our hour and a half wait never mentioned this nor were there signs posted. The only way you were told that was by a little note in the middle of the menu (very hard to see amongst all the design). We asked to speak to the manager and she came over and stated it was on the menu but we stated that it is late at night and you are only allowing us to order desserts. She condescendingly replied that this was the way it is and that if you did not like it you should leave. We explained how a sign needed to be put up but you could tell that was never going to happen. The fact is that they want you to wait anywhere from 1-3 hours and by the time you are seated down for desserts only you fin d this out and just order stuff that you may not eat since you waited so long. We noticed at another table they too had ordered hot chocolates and other desserts. The hot chocolate was gone but the massive sundaes were left untouched.
    Needless to say, we left and will never be going back. With a dirty environment, rude hostess and manager(never treated so bad and I am a paying customer), long waits and lack of information about the limit when it is desserts only I will never recommend this place to anyone.

• Serendipity: Serendipity? It wasn't.

by Cpav Written Feb 1, 2007

We visited Serendipity on the cold and snowy evening of January 28, 2007. We were in NYC for the Gift Show. Met with some NYC friends for a light supper and then headed over to Serendipity for a peek at the place and for their famous frozen hot chocolate. So after a 20 minute wait, the host put 5 of us at a very small bistro table that would have been impossible to have a drink much less a meal at. We waved him down when we saw a table in a corner that was free and much larger. We all placed our order and then were informed that ther was an $8 minimum. Luckily for 3 of us the frozen hot chocolate was $8.50. But the couple we were with only wanted to share an apple pie. No dice. The waiter rudely told us that they needed to order more and that they would make no money if curious people came in and just ordered drinks. I asked if a T-shirt would count toward the minimum and was informed it would not. So they ordered a drink with the pie. Needless to say the atmosphere and impression of the place was very deflated. We were served our order. The only thing that never came was the APPLE PIE!!! Plus, we could not find our waiter to tell him. The place is not THAT big. When we finally got his attention we informed him that the pie was never served and told him to forget it. His face turned bright red and he removed it from our bill. Needless to say I did NOT buy a T[shirt. After enjoying the movie Serendipity so much, I realize now, that it really was JUST a movie and that Serendipity was just a stage for it. How disappointing. Will not return to this place.

Favorite Dish: Frozen Hot Chocolate..... an ENORMOUS amount of frozen hot chocolate, with a huge dollop of the creamiest whipped cream ever topped with shaved chocolate and marshmallows!

• Business Travel
    • Singles

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Serendipity: I Forgot How Good This Place Is

by ctorres1979 Written Nov 3, 2006

I just went to Serendipity last night and I finally found the perfect time to go to this place. Thursday night at 10pm., Maybe it won't always work but its a start.

I have been here a couple of other times and the frozen hot chocolate is definitely always worth the wait but its so much better to breeze right in. The service was so much nicer and faster than any other time I have been there too.

We also tried the chicken nachos, delish, and the hot springs wings, delish too but pretty spicy!

Favorite Dish: Come on now... You gotta have Frozen Hot Chocolate at least once in your life!.. MMM, and its topped with tons of whipped cream and shaved chocolate!

• Jewelslover's Profile Photo

Serendipity: Mmmm Serendipity

by Jewelslover Written Sep 15, 2005

Mmm mmm good!

Must I say more??? This place was great! We had dinner and dessert at Serendipity. I had a scrumptious hamburger and fries, then split the Forbidden Broadway Sundae (pictured) for dessert. The sundae was mixture of chocolate cake with chocolate icing, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped cream. What more could you ask for???

The restaurant was cute, Tiffany lamps everywhere. It's the ultimate girly restaurant. The wait staff was friendly, our wait to be seated was short, it was an overall pleasant experience. Please note there is a $6.00 minimum per person at this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Forbidden Broadway Sundae!

• DJ_Rolo's Profile Photo

Serendipity: mmmmm... Frozen Hot Chocolate

by DJ_Rolo Written Sep 1, 2005

Frozen Hot Chocolate

I guess John Cusack and Oprah made this place famous. It seems more like a novelty then needing to go eat there cuz of the food. I bet they raised the prices here after all the hoopla. Well i still had to try it, just to say i have.. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger. It wasnt very good, actually it was barely even cooked. I didnt complain i just ate off of everyone elses plates. im hearing now that your supposed to go there for the Desserts anyways. I did order the Frozen Hot Chocolate, which i thought was really good. I gotta say that was probably worth the train ride and 1 hour wait. Although its a bit overpriced at $7.50 you still have to try it. I didnt get any desserts, but my cousins did and they said that they were delicious. The entrees here can run anywhere from $10 - $20 or maybe even more i dont really remember. I had a burger, a frozen hot chocolate and a soda, i believe it came to just under $30.00

Favorite Dish: Frozen Hot Chocolate is a very chocolatey drink kinda like a chocolate milk but more chocolatey.. if you know what i mean.....

Instant Answers: New York City

Comments

View all New York City hotels